Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner - Experience from Heathrow DC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone

Proud new owner of a 70D Model S (Midnight Silver)

Love the car for the few short miles I have driven it.

In case helps anyone - some experience when picking up from Heathrow.

Car was inventory stock so just over two weeks from order to delivery.

I have to thank the Delivery staff for being very flexible as my Dad was a bit unwell on the delivery date so I had to reschedule last minute as was up 'North' looking after him. Once that was all sorted and back home they kindly re-arranged very quickly and picked the car up same day I called them.

When picking the car up - the handover guy (Tom) was very nice and had a polished pitch.

That said - the overall experience was very rushed. He told me he oftens has to do 10 handovers a day - which seems very excessive, I also imagine a certain fatigue develops going over the same speech over and over.

But even so - would have liked to have seen a more expansive demo. When going through the features he skipped over most of the UI - highlighting only the very basics. We paired my phone and looked at the very few screens. I had to press to be show navigation etc.

Fortunately I am an IT professional and been reading up furiously since ordering so was aware of most features. But anyone not so tech savy might have struggled to learn on their own afterwards.

Charging demo was just the Tesla Home charger (Which I have) but nothing on the Type 2 or other cables - even just a quick explanation. I would consider this to be one of the most important bits of any demo.

Several parts of the demo he said he would discuss but actually forgot - like the phone app which he said we would go through later - but we never did. Again for myself not an issue - easy to pick up. But something not familiar might be left a bit unsure.

Overall just very rushed and not what I was expecting after reading many reviews where people rave about the Tesla delivery experience.

Dont want to round on the guy - as he was nice and probably just overworked. I imagine Heathrow is one of the busiest pick up points.

One thing - I did found a couple of small scratches. He noted them down and said they would fix. So very crucial you take the time to check the body work and interior in minute detail. Dont let them rush you there.

Also the detailing was very sloppy - lots of water marks and pieces of cloth fluff caught everywhere. He apologised profusely. But I have to consider they slotted me in same day I called so maybe rushed there.

End of the day - very happy! Car is great (minus some calendar sync challenges).

But if you do have a choice - maybe select a more quieter Delivery Centre than Heathrow to get the best experience?

Hello everyone
But if you do have a choice - maybe select a more quieter Delivery Centre than Heathrow to get the best experience?

Congrats on the new car, and the best colour :). Good advice on avoiding Heathrow and in general avoid the quarter end - that applies for servicing and any remedial work if you can. Heathrow is stretched at the best of times and you've experienced that first hand.

Completely agree with you about the lack of info at handover, that was why they started the "orientation events" where prospective owners were invited to a meeting where all the things you mention were talked about. Presumably you were never offered one?

He told me he oftens has to do 10 handovers a day

Model-3 is introducing a 5-minute-handover (in USA) - basically just hand you the keys. As I understand it there is a requirement to have done some "stuff" beforehand. I assume that is online paperwork, but I would also hope a plethora of videos for everything that the best-handover-expert-in-the-world SHOULD have said :)

For me that would be better than a real person - having done the home-based-tutorials then pitch up and ask the real person some questions - but seems a waste of time (and therefore my money) to have a 1 - 2 hours explanation of the features on the car, and all because so many of them are new/unique to Tesla.