Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner - questions on Tesla estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short I bought a Model S that wouldn't update navigation Data. The MCU just crashes eventually over and over again when the download gets to about 1/3rd. So I brought it to Tesla service where they were very helpful and informed me that the previous owner effectively did none of the service bulletins for the car, so there's about five grand worth of work it needs...including an MCU retrofit to get the nav going again (as well as other functions, obviously). I wanted to see if you guys could look over this estimate and see if there's anything that seems unnecessary. The brake job and the slave charger I know nothing about. But also $1400 for a BMC to get the second key going again seems nuts. Attached is the invoice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-113229_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-113229_Tesla.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 111
  • redacted - tesla_invoiceb93d70d8-77d5-11ec-9662-005056939ebe_Redacted.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 216
I can't seem to find an edit button. I said five grand because there were a couple items they hadn't thrown on there but looking back through the history of the car they were just previous customer complaints they don't think I'll need.

After chatting with them a bit more we're going to ditch the brake portion as the brakes have loads of life left and don't seem to have any cold weather issues. It was 7 degrees the other day and no vibrations from them at all. Other then that I am proceeding with all of it. I was actually surprised at how low the costs were for everything but the BMC. The BMC failing, to me, seems like something they should be covering under an extended warranty if it is a known flaw in these cars and effectively completely disables the car. But as far as the other stuff, since I am having problems with the nav update I am getting the MCU 2 upgrade much cheaper, with radio. And $600 for all pads and rotors is very low compared to a lot of equally expensive cars. My CL63 amg, for instance, ran me $2700. The second gen slave charger, I am told, should up my supercharging speed. So that for less than $500 seems reasonable.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the costs of getting this car up-to-date-ish, and the service experience. Take that with a grain of salt, though, as nothing has actually been performed yet.

What exactly is the CCS ECU combo retrofit? Is this something to do with the second charger?
That's how it is explained to me. I am getting the impression it only has a primary charger and no secondary charger? So adding the secondary should up the charge speed capability. OR its an upgrade to the current secondary charger. Either way I was told it will improve supercharging speeds.

That's how it is explained to me. I am getting the impression it only has a primary charger and no secondary charger? So adding the secondary should up the charge speed capability. OR its an upgrade to the current secondary charger. Either way I was told it will improve supercharging speeds.

That makes no sense. The secondary charger is only for AC charging, if you have it. The Supercharger IS the charger when you are supercharging.

That makes no sense. The secondary charger is only for AC charging, if you have it. The Supercharger IS the charger when you are supercharging.
Interesting... let me see if I can get more detail. That's why I posted here!

Here is the bulletin:

Another Edit:
This must be something to do with the CCS charging adapter and getting the charge speed up if I want to use non-tesla fast chargers. Sounds like my car only has one charger now capable of taking level 2 and change charging? Tesla's CCS adapter is finally coming

Last edited:
An adapter is supposed to be out in the US this year, Tesla time. Tesla launches CCS adapter in Korea, confirms coming to North America 'soon' They just began posting last month in your car's "other information" whether your car is CCS compatible.

Additional Information
Model S
Model 3
Model X
Model Y

This is an undocumented change in this release.

Additional details are now displayed in your car's Software menu. Your car will now display supported cellular networks under Modem capabilities. It will also show whether your vehicle is compatible with Tesla's CCS adapter.

To view this information go to Controls > Software and tap on 'Additional Vehicle Information'.

Last edited:
Not sure what's up with the brake and charger situation. I might consider dropping those.

I'd definitely drop that key part. I don't need an extra key that badly.
Agreed, I dropped the brake as they're good to go. Going to chat with the service tech there before going forward with the charger but I have a feeling it has to do with using CCS fast chargers that is coming, so I would take them up on that. The BMC failed/failing seems like too much of a risk to deal with when this will be my wifes daily driver. I don't want to get a call when she is 100 miles away saying her key wont work.

An adapter is supposed to be out in the US this year, Tesla time. Tesla launches CCS adapter in Korea, confirms coming to North America 'soon' They just began posting last month in your car's "other information" whether your car is CCS compatible.

Additional Information
Model S
Model 3
Model X
Model Y

This is an undocumented change in this release.

Additional details are now displayed in your car's Software menu. Your car will now display supported cellular networks under Modem capabilities. It will also show whether your vehicle is compatible with Tesla's CCS adapter.

To view this information go to Controls > Software and tap on 'Additional Vehicle Information'.

This is the first instance I've seen of Tesla proactively offering a retrofit for the car to be compatible with the allegedly "coming soon" CCS adapter.

This is the first instance I've seen of Tesla proactively offering a retrofit for the car to be compatible with the allegedly "coming soon" CCS adapter.
Tesla has also applied for a new Supercharger station in Texas to have available CCS adapters in addition to Tesla adapters. Makes you wonder if CCS will become the new US standard at some point. There will be a bunch of Federal money to expand charging networks, as long as they are not using proprietary connectors. All this will enable Tesla to retrofit and add CCS capability at no or little cost, while expanding their Supercharger network much faster.

Tesla has also applied for a new Supercharger station in Texas to have available CCS adapters in addition to Tesla adapters. Makes you wonder if CCS will become the new US standard at some point. There will be a bunch of Federal money to expand charging networks, as long as they are not using proprietary connectors. All this will enable Tesla to retrofit and add CCS capability at no or little cost, while expanding their Supercharger network much faster.

Ok but why are they offering this retrofit in Boston as part of a bunch of other stuff? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.