Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owners had incorrect manual loaded on their My Tesla site for some time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I just hung up with Tesla online support. I discovered that the version of the online manual I was using was an incorrect one. Apparently Tesla had, for many new Model S owners, loaded the wrong version of the manual. I had opened my manual shortly after receiving my car, and had kept it open. So I had not realized that Tesla had replaced the incorrect version with the correct one on December 31.

I am posting this in case others, like me, are working from an open, old, and incorrect version of the manual, or in case someone may have read some old, incorrect information. If page 81 of your manual has information about the security system on it, you have the wrong version of the manual (assuming you are in the US.)

Thanks, Andyw2100. I have been reading the wrong version and was not aware until I read your post.

I see the newer version of the manual still refers to the secondary latch on the frunk. Mine doesn't have this as it has the new single latch like I assume is on all the other P85Ds. I was hoping this new version of the manual might have cleared up some of the inconsistencies in what new owners have been told about how to close the frunk. I still struggle with this.

Last edited:
There are still two latches on the newer design; both engage the single steel rod loop.
Sorry, Stevezzzz. I wasn't clear in my post. What I was referencing was the secondary catch lever shown here in the clipping from the updated manual. My frunk doesn't have this catch lever, which makes me believe that this new v6 manual is still not completely up to date.

image.jpg

Thanks, Andyw2100. I have been reading the wrong version and was not aware until I read your post.

I see the newer version of the manual still refers to the secondary latch on the frunk. Mine doesn't have this as it has the new single latch like I assume is on all the other P85Ds. I was hoping this new version of the manual might have cleared up some of the inconsistencies in what new owners have been told about how to close the frunk. I still struggle with this.

Glad I helped someone! I was surprised too.

Yes, even this corrected version doesn't address all the changes with the new P85D. For example, it still talks about selecting steering mode, that of course we don't have with the P85Ds. (Page 68.) Even so, the version Tesla loaded for us on 12/31 is a lot better than the version that was there before.