TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Model S paint color choices (as of 10 Apr 2015)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ecarfan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Mods, can the discussion of the new paint color choices be consolidated into one thread? Just a suggestion...

I am disappointed that Tesla's much touted new paint shop is not able to provide buyers with a reasonable range of paint color choices.

As of today there are only 7 colors: non- metallic black (no extra cost), Titanium Metallic (was "Warm Silver"), Midnight Silver Metallic (dark grey), Obsidian Black Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic (was "Ocean Blue"), and the long-standing multi-cost colors Pearl White and Red).

By comparison, BMW offers 11 colors for the 7 series, AUDI offers 11 colors for the A7, MB offers 14 colors for the S class, and Porsche offers 14 for the Panamera. And all those companies offer a light silver, whereas Tesla just dropped that color even though it seems to be quite popular.

Tesla can do better.

I was surprised to note that those manufacturers also offer what I consider to be limited color palettes in terms of the range of color tones. They are rather bland, but that seems to be the style these days. So in that sense Tesla is in line with other companies, and the Tesla Multi-Coar Red is an outlier.

2. Terra117

Terra117 Member

Auto manufacturers that have existed for over half a century, produce 8 to 10 distinct models and sell millions of vehicles annually have a much larger array of production colors on offer.

I think a manufacturer that produced its first vehicle 7 years ago, has not yet produced 100,000 vehicles in total, and has but one model to offer, is doing pretty well to offer 7 colors (actually 10 colors for the next few months).

As for offering a color available on every other ICE vehicle, I don't think that is what Tesla is going for.

For people wanting a color that every manufacturer offers, there is still black.

3. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

I just got back from the Tesla Factory to see the new Warm Silver and Ocean Blue. I gotta say, I'm totally underwhelmed. The warm silver looks NOTHING like the pictures online. You have to see it in person. Personally, I think it looks great in the shade, but in the sun I don't like it at all. Reminds me of a goldish color that would be found on an old Lexus ES or an old minivan. As for the blue, it looks great in the sun, but in the shade was too dark again, at least for me. When we drove off, the new blue car was behind us for a test drive, and in the rear view mirror I thought it was black.

Who is picking these colors - please! There are so many awesome colors out there and some of these look like they were forced into taking left over paint or something. This is now the second time I have been down there ready to upgrade to a P85D, and I left without any colors that move me. I will most likely just order a white one to replace my white P85, because there just is not enough choices.

Of course, color is a personal preference, so I hope other love these colors. I just wish we had more choices.

4. O-G

O-G Member

What happened to the new colors in the design studio? I know they were there, I saw them but this morning when I look, they aren't shown as options.

5. iadbound

iadbound Member

Just looked, the new colors are there.

6. ecarfan

New color selections are visible in the Design Studio for me.

7. dennis

dennis P85D

AFAIK the new paint shop is not yet online. I believe it is scheduled to go live in the 3rd quarter.

8. O-G

O-G Member

I must be doing something wrong. The only way I know to get into the design studio is to start to place an order. When I do that, I do I not see the new paint colors, consistent with what Dennis says. Is there another way to see the new colors?

9. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Perhaps you can reset your cache memory in your web browser?

(But I really don't know...)

10. DrDave

DrDave Member

Correct, they are still using the original paint shop.

11. O-G

O-G Member

So.. Why are other people able to see the new colors online but not me? I switched from my iPad to a desktop computer I still only see the original 7 colors. Is there a different way to get to the design studio?

12. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

#12 Nevek, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Is this what you see? If so, it's the current lineup of colors.

Attached Files:

13. ecarfan

I saw Titanium Metallic on a car for the first time today (as opposed to just a photo or a showroom paint sample). My wife and I both loved it. The car was inside the showroom so wasn't able to see it in direct sunlight but we did take the paint sample outside and thought it looked good.

14. dennis

dennis P85D

Contemplating another Tesla purchase?

15. O-G

O-G Member

Yes, this is what I see. I thought they had 10 colors now. Where is the warm silver? Where is the new blue?

16. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Look at the first post in this thread where the names are clarified.

17. tomp

tomp Member

I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms that the only white color option is now going to cost $1,500.

18. Kofi

Kofi Member

Titanium in real life. I have a pic of the new blue also.
    11116967_2020692451403124_1513700018_n.jpg

19. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

#19 K5ING, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    I saw a forum owner's post on here awhile back (my apologies for forgetting who it was) who was showing how the short-lived aero wheels looked on his silver Model S. In all of the pictures the car looked silver, but in one, it was reflecting the deep blue sky, making the car look like a light metallic blue color. I always thought that would have been a terrific color for a Model S. Maybe they could call it "Electric Blue".

electric blue tesla.jpg

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree! I would pick that color in a second!