Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new model s: panel / chrome trim alignment issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a common problem among model S? I got delivery of my car few weeks ago and this one stuck out like a sore thumb, along some other panel alignment issues on the car. I assume they'll repair as part of warranty but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue with their new S.

Attachments

• IMG_0695 (1).jpg
    IMG_0695 (1).jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 481
It is very common unfortunately. I had one of the SC take a look at it and basically the way they go about fixing it is to roll down the window and then, using both hands, to pull the trim from the bottom and adjust the trim until it aligns with the trim on the rest of the frame. Apparently, these are just held onto the door by friction from the rubber lining beneath the door trims. Its a very quick fix!

Yup, nearly every one of them rolls off the line this way. It's exasperating because it's extremely obvious and also super easy to fix.

Yes, they'll fix it for you. If you're feeling adventurous you can also fix it yourself by grabbing on the edge of the trim and giving it a good tug. The chrome sits in a channel at the top of the door panel and has some movement to be able to align with the adjacent pieces. Most people resent having to do this on a new $100k car though.

@SoccerMan94043 My experience is that things have almost always gotten directionally better vs. routinely worse. Yes, the occasional two-steps-back scenario can happen. OP: As noted above - these chrome strips are just held in position by friction and thus can be misaligned accidentally down the road as easily as they were aligned it seems. I swear one of mine seems to "creep" a bit out of perfection over time; so I just push it down. Their ability to be manipulated is both a pro and a con I guess. @SoccerMan94043 - Your avatar pic and this thread reminds me of Nigel Tufnel's line from Spinal Tap "Don't touch it. Don't even look at it." LOL.

extremely common yes. My P85 is now misaligned because tesla replace my driver door based on a due bill. It's commonly known as the belt-line of the car and is one basic point you should get right. Could be door alignment, but that idea of trim seating adjustment is intriguing.

• Informative
Reactions: TwitchADC
Extremely common and looking at yours they'll say it's within spec. It looks like your doors aren't even either (check the bottom).

Careful on getting things like this fixed, they routinely make things worse.

I re-read and realize you're likely talking about doing more corrective surgery on misaligned doors being a riskier endeavor and fraught w/opportunity for errors. That makes sense.

• Informative
Is this a common problem among model S?

So common IMO that misaligned chrome trim is now included as a standard "feature". It appears yours has this on both sides. Contact your Tesla SC and let them know that this needs correction. It's such a simple fix that it baffles me that its not at the very least adjusted in the hours prior to delivery.

Mine from Q1 '17 (driver's side only):
IMG_20170326_021056361.jpg

• Informative
Wow so an interesting thing happened today!

I got a random call from a Tesla repair center and they asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment. Mind you I haven't even called them to set up a time to repair this issue.

The rep said that her manager found my post on Tesla forums and wanted to make sure that I was a happy customer. It's pretty cool that Tesla actually reads through the forums and cares about the owners / wants to do the right thing.

I'm still trying to figure out how they knew I was the owner, they must have dug through my old posts to map my delivery date to Fremont.

Anyways, wanted to share the pleasant yet unexpected surprise. Makes me a happy customer to know that they actually care.

Wow so an interesting thing happened today!

I got a random call from a Tesla repair center and they asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment. Mind you I haven't even called them to set up a time to repair this issue.

The rep said that her manager found my post on Tesla forums and wanted to make sure that I was a happy customer. It's pretty cool that Tesla actually reads through the forums and cares about the owners / wants to do the right thing.

I'm still trying to figure out how they knew I was the owner, they must have dug through my old posts to map my delivery date to Fremont.

Anyways, wanted to share the pleasant yet unexpected surprise. Makes me a happy customer to know that they actually care.

Every time I hear Tesla contacted someone about a post, it freaks me out. MODERATORS: How is this possible?

Every time I hear Tesla contacted someone about a post, it freaks me out. MODERATORS: How is this possible?

In less than 2 minutes of searching through TwitchAD's posts I discovered that he placed a deposit on an inventory S75 on 11/3, confirmed 11/4, was notified on 11/15 of delivery, and he picked it up on 11/18 at the Fremont factory. His public profile says he's from Lafayette. Another two minutes with access to Tesla's customer database and you have everything you need to solve this "mystery".

You have a 75D manufactured 11/2016 that you purchased 4/2017 with approx. 1100 miles. It was in for a drive unit replacement in late August and wiring harnesses in November. Pretty easy to connect the dots.

Last edited:
@jjh1234, Buttershrimp here from Tesla... I noticed from your drive this morning that your watch battery needs to be replaced, can I send a ranger out? Also, your cholesterol looks great by the way. You clearly don't take after your father's low HDL tendencies.
-Cheers

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7 and Olds442
@jjh1234, Buttershrimp here from Tesla... I noticed from your drive this morning that your watch battery needs to be replaced, can I send a ranger out? Also, your cholesterol looks great by the way. You clearly don't take after your father's low HDL tendencies.
-Cheers

Nice try! Didn't drive the Tesla today. It rained and I don't let it get wet. I don't own any watches anymore. My cholesterol is horrible. Thanks for playing. lol

Nice try! Didn't drive the Tesla today. It rained and I don't let it get wet. I don't own any watches anymore. My cholesterol is horrible. Thanks for playing. lol

@jjh1234, the extremely good cholesterol numbers we're showing may cause disorientation after a morning commute, even hallucinations of rain which sometimes is confused for ghosting of the windshield, also, while your father technically owns the watch, you are the person wearing it, and therefore, we recommend replacing the battery and failure to do so may cause damage to the lithium battery and void the warranty. Also, please check your dishwasher, the upper spray arm is blocked.