Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Places Itself into "Jack Mode" -- Anyone Else Seen This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Last night I had a disturbing episode with my 2-month-old Model S. I had driven to a local restaurant for dinner, and had entered a free parking space uneventfully, but the moment that I pressed the "Park" button on the end of the shifter knob, an announcement appeared on the monitor that the car was in "Jack Mode," and that suspension leveling was disabled. Within "Settings," I tried to reset the suspension to "Standard" without luck (failure in doing this may have been my fault, due to not better understanding how the interface was intended to work). I went in to dinner, came back to the car, tried again unsuccessfully to get it out of Jack Mode. I decided to drive home, and started to back out of the parking spot when there
was a dreadful scraping noise. Apparently the car had lowered itself, such that the bottom of the front now dragged over the low cement parking curb that the tire had been resting against. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and reported the event. They confirmed that the car had entered Jack Mode at the time I reported, but stated that they had never seen a Tesla enter the mode on its own previously. By pressing on the brake and selecting "Standard" in the Suspension settings, I was now able to return the car to standard suspension. Roadside Assistance assured me that it was OK to drive home, which i did. They said they would be passing news of this event along to my local Service Center for further evaluation.
I'm distressed that this may have left my vehicle with body damage (which I have to check for today in better light), another topic for discussion with Tesla.

At the very least, this suggests that there should be a further warning if the car enters Jack Mode: "WARNING: the vehicle has lowered itself when entering this mode, so if it is parked at or near raised objects in the pavement, it may contact such objects if it is moved."

Has anyone else has a similar experience with the car spontaneously entering Jack Mode?

You can't adjust those settings until you first disable the jack mode first (pushing the same "Jack" button to able and disable it.)
Interesting you should describe that process. Doing exactly that (using the "Jack" mode button as a on/off toggle switch) was my first impulse -- but it did not work! Hence I went off to dinner hoping things might be saner when I returned.

I appreciate these confirmatory messages. Did anyone else observe the car lowering, or sustain body damage due to such lowering? I find this quite troubling...

Interesting you should describe that process. Doing exactly that (using the "Jack" mode button as a on/off toggle switch) was my first impulse -- but it did not work! Hence I went off to dinner hoping things might be saner when I returned.

I appreciate these confirmatory messages. Did anyone else observe the car lowering, or sustain body damage due to such lowering? I find this quite troubling...

I don't know if my car lowered ever on the couple times it happened to me; It was in a parking lot at work each time that didn't have any curbs around me.

As for damage in scraping, I've curbed my car's chin once or twice and it hasn't done any real damage. Some scrapes in the plastic on the underside, but nothing terrible.

I have had this happen too on a new 2017 S90D. The reason is some parking spots slope up and the auto leveling drops the front to compensate. When then front touched the curb it goes into jack mode.

I made the mistake of backing out without turning off jack mode. I had the dresses scrape too.

Always remember to turn off jack mode and raise your suspension to high when backing out if there is a sloped parking spot.

I have had this happen too on a new 2017 S90D. The reason is some parking spots slope up and the auto leveling drops the front to compensate. When then front touched the curb it goes into jack mode.

I made the mistake of backing out without turning off jack mode. I had the dresses scrape too.

Always remember to turn off jack mode and raise your suspension to high when backing out if there is a sloped parking spot.

Interesting. My spot was perfectly horizontal, and the curb in question very low with no question of contact
going in. The car went into jack mode the moment I put it into park. Had a pleasant chat with Tesla Service today and they think my air suspension system may have a small leak. I'm taking the car into them on Monday. These interesting observations from other owners make me even more inclined to caution in parking. Not always easy if you have impatient folks behind you.

Last edited:
Last night I had a disturbing episode with my 2-month-old Model S. I had driven to a local restaurant for dinner, and had entered a free parking space uneventfully, but the moment that I pressed the "Park" button on the end of the shifter knob, an announcement appeared on the monitor that the car was in "Jack Mode," and that suspension leveling was disabled. Within "Settings," I tried to reset the suspension to "Standard" without luck (failure in doing this may have been my fault, due to not better understanding how the interface was intended to work). I went in to dinner, came back to the car, tried again unsuccessfully to get it out of Jack Mode. I decided to drive home, and started to back out of the parking spot when there
was a dreadful scraping noise. Apparently the car had lowered itself, such that the bottom of the front now dragged over the low cement parking curb that the tire had been resting against. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and reported the event. They confirmed that the car had entered Jack Mode at the time I reported, but stated that they had never seen a Tesla enter the mode on its own previously. By pressing on the brake and selecting "Standard" in the Suspension settings, I was now able to return the car to standard suspension. Roadside Assistance assured me that it was OK to drive home, which i did. They said they would be passing news of this event along to my local Service Center for further evaluation.
I'm distressed that this may have left my vehicle with body damage (which I have to check for today in better light), another topic for discussion with Tesla.

At the very least, this suggests that there should be a further warning if the car enters Jack Mode: "WARNING: the vehicle has lowered itself when entering this mode, so if it is parked at or near raised objects in the pavement, it may contact such objects if it is moved."

Has anyone else has a similar experience with the car spontaneously entering Jack Mode?
Hi, just had the same issue on my 2019 tesla s, did you get Tesla to pay for damages?

So sorry to read about your event. I am distressed that this problem is still occurring. Happily for me, it has not recurred with my Model S. Here are the notes from my maintenance log some weeks after the event:

I called Tesla Roadside Assistance who used telemetry data to confirm issues,
suggested a known firmware bug was at fault, and reported it to San Rafael
Service Center, who subsequently updated the firmware, replaced a plastic fascia,
and had Anthony's Auto Craft paint lower bottom portion of bumper.​

So Tesla made good on the problem with me, but I wonder if they have been so decent with all the owners who have encountered this issue. Best of luck!