Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid/LR. whistling wind noise at 79+ MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. This seems to have solved the issue for me.j. Basically closing the gaps around the release latch.
Don't want to jinx it but it appeared to work for me as well. I had some thicker weather stripping that I just ran around the sides and doesn't cover the sides entirely, but apparently is good enough. I'm going to replace it with some 1/4" weather stripping I got so it'll last a while and doesn't feel like your hand is going into a gasket when pressing the button.

Don't want to jinx it but it appeared to work for me as well. I had some thicker weather stripping that I just ran around the sides and doesn't cover the sides entirely, but apparently is good enough. I'm going to replace it with some 1/4" weather stripping I got so it'll last a while and doesn't feel like your hand is going into a gasket when pressing the button.

If you see my post above, you'll see that is exactly what I did. 1/4 weather stripping. So far so good.

My MSP has this same issue. Rear passenger area. Tried a few taping a today. No luck. Have an appointment at the SC. But I will try the trunk release and check the passenger rear weatherstripping per munro today or tomorrow.
FYI it was 100% the hatch release. Just taped it to see and noise is gone. Going to see what professional solution Tesla will offer or if I will have to do it myself.

FYI it was 100% the hatch release. Just taped it to see and noise is gone. Going to see what professional solution Tesla will offer or if I will have to do it myself.
FYI Tesla service took off my tape and said that they added some intrlerior protection and did not hear a noise on driving. Of course they cannot drive at 75mph+ so it was a useless drive. The noise persisted after their “fix.” I went and got some Flexshot in black at the hardware store. That did the trick.

Had this whistling sound issue with my MSLR 2023 and was driving me crazy. This topic helped a lot.
The 2023 version fixed the release latch problem, but mine was the bad mount of the TESLA letters trim.
After finding it, fixed it temporarily with some tape, and now i'm waiting for my appointment with Tesla SC for a definitive fix.

345531090_9196790400393660_6346328735874769252_n.jpg
345523013_234455935940431_7030703491668754014_n.jpg

Had this whistling sound issue with my MSLR 2023 and was driving me crazy. This topic helped a lot.
The 2023 version fixed the release latch problem, but mine was the bad mount of the TESLA letters trim.
After finding it, fixed it temporarily with some tape, and now i'm waiting for my appointment with Tesla SC for a definitive fix.

View attachment 937291 View attachment 937292
Tesla never learns. That trim piece is just installed with what appears to be double-sided tape anyway, so it should be a quick fix.

Reactions: Powerslave

View attachment 937291 View attachment 937292
I have the same issue. The double stick tape on mine is loosing up and the "L" is popping off and won't hold when I push it back in. I have a service appointment coming up next month to have this and other issues addressed in my new 2023 LR.

I also have wind noise above 65 MPH coming from around the driver's side triangle area too. I did tape the area and it appears that mine might be related to the fact that the top of my driver's fender is a big "out" from the side of the body from where it meets that front of the A pillar. My only fear is that if they adjust the fender inwards, it will throw off the front and rear driver's door. My passenger side front fender alignment with the A pillar is tight and flush.

Reactions: CorporateB
I leased a 2016 P90D with exactly this wind whistle problem. Super annoying. After many visits to the service center, they could not fix it. I returned the car at that time when the happiness guarantee was still in effect (i.e. return for lease payments to date). I own a Tesla y and am in the market for a luxury EV. Considering BMW iX and the Tesla model S. It is super disappointing that 7 years later, Tesla has not made a design fix for the wind whistle problem AND the 30-50 mph vibration problem which together with the wind whistle resulted in my return of the vehicle. After a back to back test drive between S and iX, there is just no comparison, the iX wins hands down. However I weight the supercharger network very highly and would really like to get another S. But given these mechanical/engineering defects on the S (and X for that matter) that continue not to be fixed by Tesla I am going to give the IX a try and gamble with the other charging networks.

Folks, I'm still struggling with this problem. My "whistling" noise is 100% from the rear hatch somewhere. I tried taping off all the areas in question and no such luck. At last service appointment, the noise ironically stopped when I drove with the tech! Of course, soon as I got home, it starts again. I'm not sure what else to do. I have a 2022 which does not have the Tesla lettering on the rear, so it's not that. It sounds like air is getting into the car somewhere through a small hole in one of the seals. But I cannot locate it.

Thoughts??

Folks, I'm still struggling with this problem. My "whistling" noise is 100% from the rear hatch somewhere. I tried taping off all the areas in question and no such luck. At last service appointment, the noise ironically stopped when I drove with the tech! Of course, soon as I got home, it starts again. I'm not sure what else to do. I have a 2022 which does not have the Tesla lettering on the rear, so it's not that. It sounds like air is getting into the car somewhere through a small hole in one of the seals. But I cannot locate it.

Thoughts??
Start cheap!!!!!! Try this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hond...8&psc=1&mcid=bf8e6e8116ff3f31a72a305f4253bd6a
This will fix lots!!!! Little goes a long way.

Thoughts??
Does the noise vary with speed?

Does the hatch cinch actuator engage when all doors and windows are closed?

Have you adjusted the 4 bumpers and adjuster knobs on the hatch? If not..

Remove the privacy shelf and have someone with a selfie stick and phone record the noise while moving it around the trunk area. Likely the hatch was adjusted to look good and in the process the hatch does not make even contact with the hatch deck.

Does the noise vary with speed?

Does the hatch cinch actuator engage when all doors and windows are closed?

Have you adjusted the 4 bumpers and adjuster knobs on the hatch? If not..

Remove the privacy shelf and have someone with a selfie stick and phone record the noise while moving it around the trunk area. Likely the hatch was adjusted to look good and in the process the hatch does not make even contact with the hatch deck.

Thanks!! See below:

Yes it varies with speed. Starts around 50-70 mph, never hear it under those speeds. It gets very loud and everyone in the car gives me a wtf is that? Is a window or the trunk open?? lol

Yes it does, trunk closes all the way tight and I can hear the latch engage. No warning lights on dash that trunk is open.

I have not, but great idea. Will try To make some adjustments on these.

Great idea!! Much safer then riding in the trunk, which wife already refused, LOL

Thanks, will keep you posted.

Just a quick update.

The "envelope test" in this link was brought to my attention:

One of the 4 adjustment points did not pass the test and was not touching. I added a small bolt behind the adjuster so it would not stay loose and loose my adjustment. Now all 4 points pass the "envelope test." I will also use an air compressor to test for air gap points around all the seams and seals. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. Will keep you posted and thanks again for the advice!

Just a quick update.

The "envelope test" in this link was brought to my attention:

One of the 4 adjustment points did not pass the test and was not touching. I added a small bolt behind the adjuster so it would not stay loose and loose my adjustment. Now all 4 points pass the "envelope test." I will also use an air compressor to test for air gap points around all the seams and seals. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. Will keep you posted and thanks again for the advice!
Another update... Made the trunk adjustments and it helped, a bit. But still have the whistling noise. Tried having someone point an air compressor into all the seems while I was in the trunk listening for air leaks. Could not find any :(