Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid/LR. whistling wind noise at 79+ MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Took a 3-hour road trip this weekend and was absolutely annoyed at some sort of wind noise that kicks in at 79MPH and goes till about 95MPH (I didn't speed that long, relax). It's almost like a whistling noise. It's so prevalent that you can even hear it while the music is up around 7 or 8. I haven't had a chance for my wife to drive while I screw around with all the seating positions to see where it's coming from. The first step is I will tape off the seams to see if its actual wind noise.

Wondering if anyone else is hearing this?

Oh, I have this 💯

I posted about it in the main "delivery" thread looking for solutions. Folks mostly recommended same as you - taping off the seams and removing the tape one section at a time to isolate wind noise. Other recommendations included lowering the passenger window to check and at least one person had some loose factory wrap material in the gap in their frunk.

Oh, I have this 💯

I posted about it in the main "delivery" thread looking for solutions. Folks mostly recommended same as you - taping off the seams and removing the tape one section at a time to isolate wind noise. Other recommendations included lowering the passenger window to check and at least one person had some loose factory wrap material in the gap in their frunk.

I see your post now, must have missed it. Yeah sounds like we might have the same issue although mine definitely doesn't do it at 78MPH. Only 79 and above. (Had plenty of time to test things on the 3 hour drive) I'm wondering if everyone has it they just don't notice yet. Mine also seems to occur on high-speed straight drives. My suspicion is it's occurring between the gap between the driver and read driver passenger door. I'm an audiophile so its super annoying to me ;(

Could some of you test with AC off and radio off around the 70-90mph mark and see if you can hear the whistling?

I see your post now, must have missed it. Yeah sounds like we might have the same issue although mine definitely doesn't do it at 78MPH. Only 79 and above. (Had plenty of time to test things on the 3 hour drive) I'm wondering if everyone has it they just don't notice yet. Mine also seems to occur on high-speed straight drives. My suspicion is it's occurring between the gap between the driver and read driver passenger door. I'm an audiophile so its super annoying to me ;(

Could some of you test with AC off and radio off around the 70-90mph mark and see if you can hear the whistling?
Sorry to hijack but as an audiophile what do you think of the new audio system? Having 20+ tiny speakers makes me think it sounds tinny and flat

Any resolution to this one? I noticed it right at about 80 MPH as well yesterday. Whistling noise and sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side trunk area. I’m due for a service visit on 10/19 to fix trunk lid position, so maybe that will help, but odd to hear it with others here at 80MPH. 2021 Plaid.

I have the same problem with my MS plaid .. it is at far lower speed though, at 65-70 mph and at 75 plus it changes to an annoying whistling noise coming from the front end of the driver door window.. it’s extremely annoying .. the SC has to replace the trim on that side as well which was scratched approx at the site where the noise is coming from ; the car also had a scratch on the left front pillar near the trim scratch which the SC fixed ..

Any updates on this? I have the exact same thing it seems...

• Rear passenger/trunk area
  • Definitely 83+, sometimes 79+
  • No obvious sources so I'll start taping up areas I guess..
I tried taping up various areas back there with no luck. I did the trunk window, the right side of the trunk, the entire rear right door, the window on that door. I haven't done anything forward of that, or the entire trunk itself. It's hard to test unless I make a day of it....need to be somewhere there I can get up to 80-85 and cruise for half a mile. On short bursts on the highway I may hear it or I may not, guessing different wind patterns based on the traffic around me and the weather. It's only constant on wide open highway going 83+.

Since the noise frequency is high pitched, I assume that indicates a poor door seal.

Did you notice any water leaks during car wash or rain?

These two owners utilized air compressors to identify air leaks

Wind noise was bad windshield seal!: This Model 3 had leakage from the improperly installed polyurethane seal around the driver-side lower corner of the front windshield, causing high pitch noise during driving
How to fix wind buffeting noise (and feeling) on Tesla and other hatchback cars - Model X with deformed rubber seal around driver window toward the front

Since the noise frequency is high pitched, I assume that indicates a poor door seal.

Did you notice any water leaks during car wash or rain?

These two owners utilized air compressors to identify air leaks

Wind noise was bad windshield seal!: This Model 3 had leakage from the improperly installed polyurethane seal around the driver-side lower corner of the front windshield, causing high pitch noise during driving
How to fix wind buffeting noise (and feeling) on Tesla and other hatchback cars - Model X with deformed rubber seal around driver window toward the front
Interesting...

The trunk was actually poorly done, so I adjusted it following the rule the guy used in the second video. It feels more secure now and even looks more even, but the wind noise is still there fully.

I tried clicking on biohazard mode while it was on, and I think it cut down on the noise. That would align with it actually being wind noise. I didn't test it for that long though, speed limits in this area make it hard to sit there and analyze it for long periods of time.

At least it won't be a problem in most states, but not interested in long distance road trips across midwest states with that noise. Hopefully the service center can fix it, but based on the amount of work I had to go through for simple issues, my expectations are low. Next step after would be to find a space to use an air compressor and test it like the above video.