Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid/LR. whistling wind noise at 79+ MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progress!

So today I had a friend of mine driving while I climbed to the trunk hunting for noise. I am now fairly certain the whistle came from the very back of the trunk, near the rear license plate area. I inspected the area and I noticed there's an open gap around the backup camera - that is now suspect #1. Other potential suspects include external trunk latch, and rear license screw holder. Bottomline, I suspect the area right below the T E S L A letters, the underside where the trunk lights/latch/backup camera are (or maybe even the T E S L A plastic piece itself?) It kinda make sense as there might be swirls of wind behind the car that spins in the clock wise direction, if the car is facing left. This would also explain why all my previous efforts at taping up everything else made ZERO impact on this whistling noise whatsoever.

Anyhow, might not have time to test out my own theory in the next few days, but others are welcome to test it out!

Thanks for doing this! I was about to attempt the same thing, but my wife was not down with me being in the trunk at 80+ mph. I'll take a look around the area you described tomorrow.

More data point:

So I taped up the rear like this (below); the whistle is still there but it does seem to be dampened somewhat?!? I am not 100% sure... I think one way to disprove my own theory would be to hang some type of board over the full back of the trunk and see if that make any type of acoustic difference.

I am beginning to suspect it may be part of the intrinsic trunk design feature to warn you that you are going too fast. :)

1646942185366.png

More data point:

So I taped up the rear like this (below); the whistle is still there but it does seem to be dampened somewhat?!? I am not 100% sure... I think one way to disprove my own theory would be to hang some type of board over the full back of the trunk and see if that make any type of acoustic difference.

I am beginning to suspect it may be part of the intrinsic trunk design feature to warn you that you are going too fast. :)

View attachment 779205

Interesting. Wonder if the refresh 2.0 has this issue fixed...

More data point:

View attachment 779205
Any update? Did you ever locate the noise?

Progress!

So today I had a friend of mine driving while I climbed to the trunk hunting for noise. I am now fairly certain the whistle came from the very back of the trunk, near the rear license plate area. I inspected the area and I noticed there's an open gap around the backup camera - that is now suspect #1. Other potential suspects include external trunk latch, and rear license screw holder. Bottomline, I suspect the area right below the T E S L A letters, the underside where the trunk lights/latch/backup camera are (or maybe even the T E S L A plastic piece itself?) It kinda make sense as there might be swirls of wind behind the car that spins in the clock wise direction, if the car is facing left. This would also explain why all my previous efforts at taping up everything else made ZERO impact on this whistling noise whatsoever.

Anyhow, might not have time to test out my own theory in the next few days, but others are welcome to test it out!
This would’ve made for an interesting explanation if your friend got pulled over by the police while you were in the trunk.

• Funny
Reactions: paulchou
I am happy to report that I solved the issue (at least for my version of the whistle). The culprit is the trunk latch. Once service center put some type of rubbery material around the latch, the whistle is now gone. I've tested up to mid 90s mph. Just regular wind noises now.

You welcome! :)
Hi, I dropped of my car at service center and told them about this issue, can you please post a picture where exactly and how they put the rubber piece? Btw my build date is 02/28/22

Thanks for the info and picture! Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding where exactly they put this rubber piece in. Could you take a picture a bit more zoomed out to see where it is relative to the car?
I believe its the grey material you see around the black latch that releases the rear hatch. On my S there is a bit of a gap between the latch ( and the surrounding piece.

So has anyone figured out a solution for the wind noise? Just got my MS back from a second service where they replaced the belt seal and performed smoke test to ensure window is sealed. I am still noticing the whistling at highway speeds. Starting to think that its just an engineering flaw where something outside the window (sideview mirror or door trim perhaps) is causing the noise. Its just super frustrating and distracting. Only solution is to keep music blasting for now…
It will probably vary by car.
After two trips to the SC they admitted they are not a body shop. I have a friend who works at EBC and does really expensive cars. He agreed to align the doors for a drive in the Plaid.

First he checked all the seals, they were OK.

He took off each door latch, put it on the bench. "The hinges hold the door up and the latch only holds the door closed". The alignment began with both of us. First was to align all the door gaps, this took skills I won't say I can duplicate. When step one was done all four doors had perfect panel gaps when held closed.

Next he took a pencil and drew a line at the center of the latch slot with the door almost closed. He put one on and lined it up, took three tried to get the door to close without changing alignment. He did this to each door. Over two hours and alignment/gaps were better than I believed possible.

Passenger rear door had a little wind noise still. He said the window had to "come in a little at the top" but we were out of time. I need to take the door apart and shim the track somehow.