Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid Ordered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XHokie

Supporting Member
May 27, 2016
NoVA
Back on the TMC after a long hiatus! :)

Just sold my ’16 Model X to CarMax and have ordered a new Model S Plaid a few days ago (RN1175XX). After a few days of the July-September delivery timeframe, I now have a more precise EDD of August 10 - September 14. I was honestly expecting to be car-less for at least a couple of months, but this is a pleasant surprise to see a date possibly as early as a month away. Based on what I’ve read in other threads, it looks like the EDD could still change frequently, so we’ll see if mine holds. It does seem like Tesla is prioritizing Plaids over LR, so I’m optimistic I’ll get my vehicle in August at some point.

I will say, and after owning a 1st gen Model X, I’m disheartened and concerned that Tesla still has as many quality related issues that are being voiced on the forums here. I never really had any “major” issues w/ my X…two bad door sensors that had to be replaced and several recalls that were never addressed. I was hopeful that Tesla had overcome these, especially with their premium vehicles. But alas…apparently almost 6 years time doesn’t guarentee signficant quality improvements to how they produce cars. Fingers-crossed, this new vehicle is significantly improved in terms of fit/finish and overall build quality. Also, I’ve read that the overall ride quality and road noise is greatly improved in refreshed S’s and X’s, so that’s definitely something positive to look forward to.

What else should I be on the lookout for as I take delivery of a new Plaid S?

TIA TMC Community!

Back on the TMC after a long hiatus! :)

Just sold my ’16 Model X to CarMax and have ordered a new Model S Plaid a few days ago (RN1175XX). After a few days of the July-September delivery timeframe, I now have a more precise EDD of August 10 - September 14. I was honestly expecting to be car-less for at least a couple of months, but this is a pleasant surprise to see a date possibly as early as a month away. Based on what I’ve read in other threads, it looks like the EDD could still change frequently, so we’ll see if mine holds. It does seem like Tesla is prioritizing Plaids over LR, so I’m optimistic I’ll get my vehicle in August at some point.

I will say, and after owning a 1st gen Model X, I’m disheartened and concerned that Tesla still has as many quality related issues that are being voiced on the forums here. I never really had any “major” issues w/ my X…two bad door sensors that had to be replaced and several recalls that were never addressed. I was hopeful that Tesla had overcome these, especially with their premium vehicles. But alas…apparently almost 6 years time doesn’t guarentee signficant quality improvements to how they produce cars. Fingers-crossed, this new vehicle is significantly improved in terms of fit/finish and overall build quality. Also, I’ve read that the overall ride quality and road noise is greatly improved in refreshed S’s and X’s, so that’s definitely something positive to look forward to.

What else should I be on the lookout for as I take delivery of a new Plaid S?

TIA TMC Community!
Don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to be confrontational.

You seem to be happy overall with your X 👍. You've read about all the "quality issues" with the next X/S and seem (justly) very disappointed, yet you still ordered one.

I find that last part puzzling - why would you order one knowing about all the potential issues you may face??

Tesla isn’t prioritizing Plaid. Simple supply and demand is different. Some folks have been assigned a VIN within a few days. There are many Plaids in inventory.

As long as Tesla is growing (capacity) they will have QA issues.

Tesla isn’t prioritizing Plaid. Simple supply and demand is different. Some folks have been assigned a VIN within a few days. There are many Plaids in inventory.
Not sure I agree. If you go to their site and build a Model S for ordering, the Plaid shows me a July - September 2022 delivery timeframe no matter how I configure it. The Dual-Motor shows a November - February 2023. Doesn't that suggest that Plaid is the priority for them and they want to produce those first? Also, what inventory are you seeing "many" Plaids? I just searched my region within 200 miles and I see none. I did check a few days ago and there was 1, but it's now gone within 72 hours.

Not sure I agree. If you go to their site and build a Model S for ordering, the Plaid shows me a July - September 2022 delivery timeframe no matter how I configure it. The Dual-Motor shows a November - February 2023. Doesn't that suggest that Plaid is the priority for them and they want to produce those first? Also, what inventory are you seeing "many" Plaids? I just searched my region within 200 miles and I see none. I did check a few days ago and there was 1, but it's now gone within 72 hours.
Right here for example, a California zip code with 7 brand new Plaids just sitting in stock

Quicker delivery could mean prioritized supply, it could also mean reduced demand

Reactions: mswlogo
Don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to be confrontational.

You seem to be happy overall with your X 👍. You've read about all the "quality issues" with the next X/S and seem (justly) very disappointed, yet you still ordered one.

I find that last part puzzling - why would you order one knowing about all the potential issues you may face??
Great question! There's a longer and shorter answer to this...keep most of this is my preference/opinion.

The short answer - IMO, there is still not an EV offered in production today that matches Tesla's overall technology platform/features, performance, range, and charging infrastructure. That's why I went with Tesla again.

Long answer which hopefully helps substantiate the above shorter answer...

In the last 6 months, in preparing for selling my Model X, I have test driven the following vehicles:

Rivian R1T
BMW iX
Polestar 2
Volvo XC60 and XC90 Recharge Extended Range (EV Hybrids)
Volvo C40 Recharge (pure EV)
Mercedes EQS 450+
Audi eTron, Sportback, and GT
probably forgetting one or two others...:)

I'm happy to give my personal reviews of each through DMs/offline if someone is interested, but without going into too much detail, I can safely say that none of these vehicles comes close to matching Tesla in terms of driving range (350+ miles), mature L2/L3 autonomous driving technology, infotainment features/options, UI/UX of their software, and charging infrastructure. Most of these manufacturers are relaying on existing infrastructure built by Electrify America and/or Chargepoint, others to serve as their primary fast charging network. I generally do several longer distance trips a year (min. 5-10 trips/year on average, >250-300+ miles each way). In my '16 Model X today, originally rated at 257 miles range (never once got near that btw...) I usually had to stop to charge at least 1-2 times on most of those trips. When the weather gets colder, forget going beyond about 150ish miles on a full-charge. Given that, I place significant value on range, performance, infotainment experience, and long-distance charging infrastructure.

Also, most of these manufacturers (except Rivian of course) are established at building cars...but not at building EVs quite yet. Many have taken pages out of Tesla's own book to build their vehicles. Most of the cars mentioned above are still 1st generation vehicles and have a lot of room for improvement, from battery tech to UI/UX of their infotainment. I will say, BMW and Audi are probably the most impressive in terms of range and infotainment, but still aren't on par w/ Tesla...again IMO.

Finally, in terms of finish/build quality, there is almost no comparison to those manufacturers and Tesla...this is where Tesla really does disappoint compared to almost all of them in terms of build quality. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo all build cars without rattling/squeaky noises, parts missing, doors malfunctioning, insulation/stripping coming off, etc. In fairness, most of them have been building cars since WWII or earlier I believe...I'm hoping the new Model S is better than my '16 Model X, but we'll see. Build quality is honestly less important to me compared to the other areas I've already mentioned. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed to hear that Tesla hasn't made significant strides in improving in this area. Maybe the forums are where people just come to complain and all the "happy" customers don't waste their time because they are too busy enjoying their cars. ;)

I will say, I was not impressed with Polestar/Volvo's interiors...or Mercedes for that matter. Yeah, the HyperScreen looks AMAZING, it really does, but the interior felt lacking/cheap in parts of the vehicle I test drove. Based on what I've seen and heard about Mercedes interiors, especially in their AMG lines, I definitely expected more. Most still don't offer Netflix or Disney+, the gaming features Tesla does. The BMW iX was probably the most impressive in terms of interior and infotainment...and quite honestly if they could get me a car in less than 3 months, I would have considered ordering one from them. However, their lead time is min. 4-6 months at this point, as they are still fully building the iX in Germany and getting that vehicle across the pond is still not efficient.

I hope this answers the question as to "why I ordered one knowing about the potential issues". Those issues don't outweigh the positives, important for me, that Tesla still has over anything else in the market today.

Right here for example, a California zip code with 7 brand new Plaids just sitting in stock

Quicker delivery could mean prioritized supply, it could also mean reduced demand
Fair enough, but I would venture to guess it's easier to get inventory vehicles in CA given they are built there vs. other parts of the country or east coast. While 7 is a good number available in CA, not sure that scenario is representative of "many" vehicles available to everyone nationally.

Reactions: jebinc
They may have a full line dedicated to Plaids and it can meet demand easier than LR.

No argument you will likely get a Plaid much sooner than an LR.

You could just as easily say Plaids are not selling as well as Tesla hoped.

I see 23 Plaids in inventory (less than I expected), 0 LR.

They may have a full line dedicated to Plaids and it can meet demand easier than LR.

No argument you will likely get a Plaid much sooner than an LR.

You could just as easily say Plaids are not selling as well as Tesla hoped.

I see 23 Plaids in inventory (less than I expected), 0 LR.
All S and X are produced on the same line. It's just a matter of mix shift to determine allocation.

I'm not surprised that Plaid demand is decreasing. The market for a $35k markup over a vehicle that, for all intents and purposes, is far more vehicle than anyone needs on a daily basis is bound to decrease, at least relatively speaking.

Fair enough, but I would venture to guess it's easier to get inventory vehicles in CA given they are built there vs. other parts of the country or east coast. While 7 is a good number available in CA, not sure that scenario is representative of "many" vehicles available to everyone nationally.
My first Tesla was a leased X90D, and I wished that I had purchased it at lease end. I miss the unlimited supercharging. I’ve got a Model Y now, and it’s trouble-free. I do miss some of the luxury touches.

Great question! There's a longer and shorter answer to this...keep most of this is my preference/opinion.

The short answer - IMO, there is still not an EV offered in production today that matches Tesla's overall technology platform/features, performance, range, and charging infrastructure. That's why I went with Tesla again.

Long answer which hopefully helps substantiate the above shorter answer...

In the last 6 months, in preparing for selling my Model X, I have test driven the following vehicles:

Rivian R1T
BMW iX
Polestar 2
Volvo XC60 and XC90 Recharge Extended Range (EV Hybrids)
Volvo C40 Recharge (pure EV)
Mercedes EQS 450+
Audi eTron, Sportback, and GT
probably forgetting one or two others...:)

I'm happy to give my personal reviews of each through DMs/offline if someone is interested, but without going into too much detail, I can safely say that none of these vehicles comes close to matching Tesla in terms of driving range (350+ miles), mature L2/L3 autonomous driving technology, infotainment features/options, UI/UX of their software, and charging infrastructure. Most of these manufacturers are relaying on existing infrastructure built by Electrify America and/or Chargepoint, others to serve as their primary fast charging network. I generally do several longer distance trips a year (min. 5-10 trips/year on average, >250-300+ miles each way). In my '16 Model X today, originally rated at 257 miles range (never once got near that btw...) I usually had to stop to charge at least 1-2 times on most of those trips. When the weather gets colder, forget going beyond about 150ish miles on a full-charge. Given that, I place significant value on range, performance, infotainment experience, and long-distance charging infrastructure.

Also, most of these manufacturers (except Rivian of course) are established at building cars...but not at building EVs quite yet. Many have taken pages out of Tesla's own book to build their vehicles. Most of the cars mentioned above are still 1st generation vehicles and have a lot of room for improvement, from battery tech to UI/UX of their infotainment. I will say, BMW and Audi are probably the most impressive in terms of range and infotainment, but still aren't on par w/ Tesla...again IMO.

Finally, in terms of finish/build quality, there is almost no comparison to those manufacturers and Tesla...this is where Tesla really does disappoint compared to almost all of them in terms of build quality. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo all build cars without rattling/squeaky noises, parts missing, doors malfunctioning, insulation/stripping coming off, etc. In fairness, most of them have been building cars since WWII or earlier I believe...I'm hoping the new Model S is better than my '16 Model X, but we'll see. Build quality is honestly less important to me compared to the other areas I've already mentioned. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed to hear that Tesla hasn't made significant strides in improving in this area. Maybe the forums are where people just come to complain and all the "happy" customers don't waste their time because they are too busy enjoying their cars. ;)

I will say, I was not impressed with Polestar/Volvo's interiors...or Mercedes for that matter. Yeah, the HyperScreen looks AMAZING, it really does, but the interior felt lacking/cheap in parts of the vehicle I test drove. Based on what I've seen and heard about Mercedes interiors, especially in their AMG lines, I definitely expected more. Most still don't offer Netflix or Disney+, the gaming features Tesla does. The BMW iX was probably the most impressive in terms of interior and infotainment...and quite honestly if they could get me a car in less than 3 months, I would have considered ordering one from them. However, their lead time is min. 4-6 months at this point, as they are still fully building the iX in Germany and getting that vehicle across the pond is still not efficient.

I hope this answers the question as to "why I ordered one knowing about the potential issues". Those issues don't outweigh the positives, important for me, that Tesla still has over anything else in the market today.
My 2022 MS Refresh is my 3rd Tesla and I must say I had no significant quality issues with any of them. I do not look for perfection. I don't care the car costs $100K or $300K, I am putting it on the road, parking it in SuperMarket parking lot and getting blasted by sand or rocks on the freeway anyway. It is subject to rain, sun or any weather beating. Eventually, it is going to get dings, scratch, dents etc. It is okay to demand a perfect product when it is brand new. But a few months later, that euphoria is fading and it doesn't matter anymore.

My 2022 MS Refresh is my 3rd Tesla and I must say I had no significant quality issues with any of them. I do not look for perfection. I don't care the car costs $100K or $300K, I am putting it on the road, parking it in SuperMarket parking lot and getting blasted by sand or rocks on the freeway anyway. It is subject to rain, sun or any weather beating. Eventually, it is going to get dings, scratch, dents etc. It is okay to demand a perfect product when it is brand new. But a few months later, that euphoria is fading and it doesn't matter anymore.
I just took delivery of Model S Plaid after selling my model x. S plaid is a proper high end luxury car. Finishes could be better but this one is leagues ahead of other teslas

I just took delivery of Model S Plaid after selling my model x. S plaid is a proper high end luxury car. Finishes could be better but this one is leagues ahead of other teslas
Curious, when did you order yours or how long did it take you to take delivery from the time you ordered. You’re closer to the east coast, so trying to guage how long you waited to see how accurate my delivery window really will be.

Congratulation, and may you have the same good luck I had, with No quality/build issues on my MSP. And I’m a picky old bastard 🤓😜.
149E7E83-1BA8-48DB-92F3-50BE29E3266E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Ormond and XHokie