Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S - pre delivery checkup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys/Gals! I'm new to the forum but had a quick couple of questions since i was having a tough time trying to find some answers online.

Model S 2020 Long Range Plus - hopefully here within 4-8 weeks and trying to get as much stuff done beforehand.

1) Do I really need a wall charger? I've been getting some quotes around 800 for the install and then the 500 for the charger. I don't mind paying it, if it's worth it.

2) Floor mats? I would like some all-weather ones, are the one on teslas website good or are there better ones? I've read some reviews online where people are tripping over the plastic and some don't have good fit, etc.

3) hard drive for sentry mode? Not sure how this works but what do I need to make sure I have it setup to record and make sure I have footage for security and peace of mind if someone rear-ends me or damages the car for insurance proof.

4) Apps worth getting? I've seen some decent mentions of apps out there and also some that relate to my 3rd question.

5) anything I didn't ask that could help me or is an absolute must to get?

Thanks for the help all! I've finally made the decision to pull the trigger and go Tesla and I'm excited. I've never driven one or even been in one but all my co-workers that have one LOVE THEM. And now that the model S can go 400 miles i'm sold.

1) Do I really need a wall charger? I've been getting some quotes around 800 for the install and then the 500 for the charger. I don't mind paying it, if it's worth it.

You’re gonna need some sort of 240v charging capability, either the wall connector or a 240v plug you can use with the mobile connector that comes with the car. Regular 120v house plug charging will net you about 3 miles per hour - that just isn’t enough for really anyone.

@seam108

1) Charging : Yes, you need a charging solution at home to make your life easier as well as not having to rely only on the Superchargers (its not good for the battery long term to only charge at a supercharger and its not fair to use a supercharger if you live near one as its meant for owners on a trip. You can either get an external wall mounted charger - which chargers at twice the rate compared to getting a 240 volt dedicated circuit using a 14-50 Nema plug - this is just a cable that uses the on-board charger in the car itself and charges at the rate of 25 miles per hour/ 39 km per hour. I did the second by myself, so can't really give you estimates for a professional to do this for you. I've seen costs ranging from $500 to $1500 (depending on whether if you have to upgrade your existing circuit at home to handle the increased load) plus the cost of the first option - the wall charger.

2) Floor mats? I have the Tuxmat brand and they are not perfect, but they are much better than the stock mats.

3) hard drive for sentry mode? I'll let someone else respond as I have an older model that does not have sentry mode.

4) Apps worth getting? I would not worry about this for now

5) anything I didn't ask that could help me or is an absolute must to get? Just wait till after you get the car.

Reactions: Fred42
You only need a 240v receptacle and then you can use the mobile charger that comes with the car. IF you think you may ever get a second EV then be sure to provide enough power for both cars otherwise you may have to have the electrician come twice. Which is what happened to me.

Tesla floor mats are good enough...240 is a must but not necessarily the Tesla wall charger.

Do yourself a favor and get a clear wrap for your hood and bumper. This car is a rock magnet...especially at 110mph.

I agree with all of this. I bought a second mobile connector and installed wire/breaker for a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. HPWC is neat looking but not really that advantageous compared to a mobile connector, especially a 1st gen UMC that can deliver 40a.

The hood does collect rock chips like nothing else I've owned.

For DashCam: I have a SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB designed for DashCams for the TeslaCam put into a tiny SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader. I have another media USB Device for music and videos. No clutter. Total Size:

569867-5b026c87cfbdfeda546b30d78b40a3cf.png

Couple add-ons to the other posts:

Check out 3D Maxpider mats. I prefer the Classic weave but Kagu are more traditional all-weather. Make sure you confirm fit for 2020, given I've heard the rear floor size changed slightly.

Also, you might like the LED upgrades at Abstract Ocean to improve interior and trunk lighting, along with their awesome silicone Fob pockets.

Finally, EVAnnex is a good place for sunshade and other accessories.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I have a gen 2 Tesla wall charger and a a Nema 14-50 outlet hardwired to panel with 50amp breaker.....can charge 40amps with wifes Model 3 and 32amps for my model S......it cost me a total of 500 for charger and 500 to install....when the first charger went to the Nema 14-50 it would stop because of heat...I had #6 AWG.....Tesla sent me new hard wired version and have had 0 issues.....left the Nema 14-50 and use it with the Model S when I charge at home...schedule each car separately......do yourself a favor......get the Tesla charger and have it hard wired...