Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S roof rack from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already had a whisbar rack and only needed the "fit kit" for Tesla. I had experimented with the BMW fit kit, but it was not tall enough for the pano roof and did not provide a level mount. Tesla only sells the complete rack, and my rack dealer found that they could not get the fit kit from Yakima because Tesla had bought them all. Fortunately, my dealer was able to get me a fit kit for me and it works well. Some added wind noise and about 10% drop in range. I use an Inno box which will fit skis up to 190cm, and Inno bike racks. I don't use the standard mounting system. I mount them using yakima "T" bolts and knobs. This way there is nothing protruding under the bars resulting in a cleaner look, less noise and wind resistance.

Tesla Squaw.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot the price question. Price from Rack dealer is about the same as from Tesla and NO rack is worth over $500. But, there is really no alternative, and do you really want to risk the interior of your car with wet sharp edged skis and less seating.

I've found three things carting skis inside the car for about 20 ski days this winter.
1. I'm really glad I got the all weather mat for the trunk.
2. I wish I got all weather floor mats in the cabin.
3. You can fit 180cm skis over the back seat without folding the seats down.

Hoping to answer a few q's as I already have a number of Yakima racks including the Whispbar ski rack which yes really can hold 6 sets of skis, a very solid product. I've used rackattack.com in the past and was browsing their options for the MS and they do sell a Whispbar Through Bar for approx $405 (current deal is 10% off msrp) while Tesla had a crossbar and smartfeet custom made to be flush with the side of the car, gotta say I agree with a couple people on this thread --- it looks fantastic! For more info check out rackattack.com and i promise i have no affiliation w the website, just thought they explained fit combos well.

I was looking to get the Wispbar for my Model S, but the Tesla site only sells the Flush Bar. Has anyone installed the Through Bar and could you comment on it? Thanks, Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Detlefo, hi. Can you tell me what cargo carrier you bought and specifically what size it is. Thx. Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Drbradfo, hi. What size is your cargo carrier and are you happy with that size (and overall)?

I was looking to get the Wispbar for my Model S, but the Tesla site only sells the Flush Bar. Has anyone installed the Through Bar and could you comment on it? Thanks, Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Detlefo, hi. Can you tell me what cargo carrier you bought and specifically what size it is. Thx. Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Drbradfo, hi. What size is your cargo carrier and are you happy with that size (and overall)?

I thought the one on the Tesla site is the Whispbar?

I thought the one on the Tesla site is the Whispbar?

Whispbar is the brand. They sell a number of racks, but the two I was asking about are the flush bar racks and the through bar racks. The picture of the racks on the Tesla site are the flush bars. The cross bar of the rack stops at the base that connects to the car. The through racks have the bar that go about two inches past the base that connects to the car. In basically gives you a longer cross bar and a few more options on connecting items.

I was wondering if anyone had a Whispbar/Through bar system and what they thought about it.

I was looking for pics of different cargo box but couldn't exactly what I wanted. I finally decided to go see personally and got this one. Thule Hyper XL 612. Fits well, trunk open fully. Will update later on actual increase in Wh/mi as we've got strong wind today and its a bit unfair...

Car needs a wash but I guess its better pics with a dirty car than no pics ;)

IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG

@Kalud,

What is the clearance between the clamps (that hold the box to the bars) and the sunroof when the sunroof is moving or open? It looked to me that it would be quite tight, but I haven't had a box on the vehicle yet. I don't plan on opening the sunroof when the box is installed, but as there is no lock-out, it is a concern.

Also, did you have to drill holes in the box to accommodate the 35"-36" spacing between the front and back bars? I have an older Thule box that is pre-drilled for a front-rear bar spacing up to about 30 inches. I'm considering getting a second box for the Tesla, so it's great to see pictures of boxes that are available in Canada. Thanks.

I defy anyone to keep a ski car clean - if it's clean, you haven't been out skiing!

This is a familiar issue in Norway. The standard solid roof doesn't natively support carrying anything on the roof, but it is possible to have mounts fitted. These are usually bolted on, so they are a permanent modification, but there are also some versions using suction cups. It should be mentioned that the Model S isn't approved for loading more than 75 kg on the roof.

Here's one solution for roof rack. Requires Fixpoint mounts.

I don't understand how tesla can get away with charging so much for plain old Whispbars that you can just buy at any old aftermarket auto store. I work at one such store in Australia (Australia! where everything is normally twice the price) And we sell Whispbars for 300AUD plus 59AUD for the fitting kits, and this applies to all sized bars and all fitting kits regardless of complexity. And that's when they're not on special (The bars where just 209AUD this past weekend). 519USD is just insane. I bet you anything you could go down to Napa and get the exact same gear for much cheaper.

You'd lose the bet. Even Hudson Bay Outfitters will not sell you the same rack that Tesla offers. Moreover, the rack they will sell you is less desireable and costs just as much when the car adapter is included. We poked at this quite a bit, but it seems Tesla has exclusive rights to sell the Model S specific rack.

519USD is just insane. I bet you anything you could go down to Napa and get the exact same gear for much cheaper.

You'd lose the bet. Even Hudson Bay Outfitters will not sell you the same rack that Tesla offers. Moreover, the rack they will sell you is less desireable and costs just as much when the car adapter is included. We poked at this quite a bit, but it seems Tesla has exclusive rights to sell the Model S specific rack.

Oh really? Well that sucks. As far as I'm aware no other manufacture has that sort of arrangement with Wispbar. I stand corrected.

There are a couple of threads on this already:

roof rack
New Model S roof rack from Tesla

Both Thule and Yakima have fitments for the Model S with pano roof. But neither is providing their 'clamp' style mounts for the regular car (probably due to frame-less windows). Yakima also offers their 'whispbar' ('aero' crossbar) solutions as well.

Yakima for Panoramic roof fit points:Control Tower (#8000214)
58" Crossbars ((#8000409)
Landing Pad 11 (#8000233)

Thule for Panoramic roof fit points:
AeroBlade
Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R
Thule AeroBlade load Bar Pair ARB53
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130

Traditional (my preference)
Thule Podium Foot Pack 460
Thule 58 Load Bar Pair LB58
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130

@Kalud,

What is the clearance between the clamps (that hold the box to the bars) and the sunroof when the sunroof is moving or open? It looked to me that it would be quite tight, but I haven't had a box on the vehicle yet. I don't plan on opening the sunroof when the box is installed, but as there is no lock-out, it is a concern.

I forgot to check when the box was on the roof. I'll check again and report back. I used vent mode while driving with the box but didnt open more. I'll have a look...

Also, did you have to drill holes in the box to accommodate the 35"-36" spacing between the front and back bars? I have an older Thule box that is pre-drilled for a front-rear bar spacing up to about 30 inches. I'm considering getting a second box for the Tesla, so it's great to see pictures of boxes that are available in Canada. Thanks.

These newer boxes have adjustable rails inside the box. When you open the clamps you can move both front and back clamps about 1 feet. While getting a pic for that I found out that there is a light inside, nice surprise. Never saw it before as I always used the box during the day so far.

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG