Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S to make noise so pedestrians hear the car similar to a ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is this noise like an amplified motor sound in the Nissan Leaf below 19mph. It can be switched off. Personally, I hate it with a passion. Why drive a quiet EV just to have it making some stupid racket???

Ironically you have to be standing directly in front of the car when its going exactly the right speed to hear it.

I've been telling my wife it makes a noise and she keeps telling me how she never hears it. For that matter i've never heard it.

It certainly isn't audible from the drivers seat.

Actually, in all seriousness I've always though this would be a very good idea. Among other things it would help with parking lots/garages where we creep up behind pedestrians walking in the middle of the lane.

I also think the sound should be customizable.

The AC on the Leaf is the loudest thing on it, apart from the radio at full volume. Just sounds like a standard car running. The idea above for using the AC in car parks does seem to be more effective than a noisemaker that only works at up to 19mph going forwards. There is no noise going backwards.

Perhaps pedestrians will hear by sub-woofer playing Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho. :0)
A sub woofer? Now, thats the sound!!!! Barking dogs under water!! (smile)

The other posts do bring in the serious side - there are folks out there (bikers and deaf) that really need us to look out for them.

But would it not be fair to have ALL cars set to announce their presence using a sound familiar to the hearing impaired? Stop light crosswalks have an annoying beep-beep that communicates vital information to those more needy than I. Don't just make it MY car, make it ALL cars. And while you are at it - make the bikes noisy so I don't get run over. Make cellphones emit a buzz so distracted walkers don't walk into me. Goose and gander fairness, right?

Last edited:
All EV's should have a freight train horn sounding off whilst driving under 20mph. That way, deaf people, as well as blind people in the next city know that you are moving. As someone that lives with a profoundly deaf person, they just use their eyes a bit more than I would. For those who are poor on sight, the cars are not totally silent, they all make a slight inverter noise, and tyre noise. Of course it could sound like the bloody awful modified MS that Saleen got hold of and mullered.

Noisemaker laws are the modern equivalent of the Red Flag Laws, which we might chuckle at today, but were also seriously enacted by well-meaning people as safety measures, due to fears that horses might be spooked and their riders injured by the approach of a motor vehicle. Today, instead of horseback riders, we're trying to protect pedestrians, but the argument is basically the same.

In the article on warning sounds that @bjelkeman posted above, the studies that were done actually demonstrated no correlation between involvement of pedestrians in accidents with an electric vehicle versus a conventional vehicle. It was also pointed out that modern ICE vehicles often make very little noise themselves.

I like the idea that General Motors has, where the sound can be emitted only if a pedestrian is detected, and thus isn't required to produce noise pollution all the time.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Actually, in all seriousness I've always though this would be a very good idea. Among other things it would help with parking lots/garages where we creep up behind pedestrians walking in the middle of the lane.

I also think the sound should be customizable.

Yes, focused sound. There is even weapons research in this field. Pedestrian units will focus sound at the individual. A lidar equiped car can even know if the pedestrian is looking at the car, and only alert people who are not looking.

Taking this further, a standard could be developed where an earbud/headphone user would have their music interrupted for an alert. This would work for hearing aid users too.

Musk talks like he expects fewer highway deaths will be an acceptable tradeoff for more low speed pedestrian/cyclists deaths. But that won't be allowed to happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pluto
Noisemaker laws are the modern equivalent of the Red Flag Laws...

...I like the idea that General Motors has, where the sound can be emitted only if a pedestrian is detected, and thus isn't required to produce noise pollution all the time.

If Tesla do implement an audio alert, I reckon it will be at low speeds only and dependent on sensing an imminent collision. Otherwise can you imagine a world with vehicles all around you constantly beeping, farting, hooting, screeching, ringing, shouting or whatever?

Seriously though pedestrians and cyclists need to use their eyes more. The number of them you see in big cities wearing earbuds, or worse full on noise isolating headphones, walking and riding around the streets is getting ridiculous and in the UK we do have an issue with tourists arriving from a country where they are used to cars driving on the right and looking the wrong way when they cross a road.

WRT red flag laws, you beat me to it but when the technology is available, I was going to suggest a hologram projected out of the front of your car with someone waving a red flag. You could choose who waves the flag from a library of stored celebrity holograms or have your own likeness scanned in.

I think I'd like to have Canadian pop sensation Justin Bieber warning pedestrians of my approach, although I realise some impressionable young girls might actually be attracted by it and I could end up running them over in the ensuing pandemonium, which would then skew the accident statistics and probably lead to the whole idea being scrapped once more.

Musk talks like he expects fewer highway deaths will be an acceptable tradeoff for more low speed pedestrian/cyclists deaths. But that won't be allowed to happen.
I find it strange that there's apparently a concern for pedestrian safety like this. I'm curious to read some real life examples of EV-pedestrian accidents; can someone find examples of pedestrian deaths involving electric vehicles traveling at low speeds? I tried but found nothing related to EVs.