Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S vs P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For similar cost, it's really no contest. P3 over 75D all the way. I mean unless you ABSOLUTELY need the extra space because you are carrying stuff to capacity all the time, the P3 is just superior. Basically a higher performing car with far more range. Range is king in EV.

If P3 and 100D were similar in price, I would always choose 100D.

Reactions: Gur814
For similar cost, it's really no contest. P3 over 75D all the way. I mean unless you ABSOLUTELY need the extra space because you are carrying stuff to capacity all the time, the P3 is just superior. Basically a higher performing car with far more range. Range is king in EV.

If P3 and 100D were similar in price, I would always choose 100D.

I agree heartily: Range is king. After you drive a while (150,000 Tesla miles in 6 years), you get it. But... the 100 D has a 335 mile range, which at the time beats the 3. It costs more, but you do get extra range and a higher level of luxury. Depends on what you want. I think most people would be satisfied with the three, but I will still probably upgrade my old S with a new one.

I don't see why anyone would think the 3 and the 100D would or should be "similar in price," though. The 3 was designed to be half the cost of the S. As an owner of both, I see that difference. Of course, if they were the same price, one would be crazy not to take the better car.

I'd be torn on this one too. For me:
75D pluses: full hatch, sunroof (and can install roof racks), instrument cluster, more space.
P3D pluses: Faster, much better on the track (permanent magnet motors don't overheat as quickly when pushed hard), more nimble, smaller, better range (which also means: faster supercharging). Coat hooks, door and seat pocket storage

All things equal, I'd probably go for the P3D today. When I bought my 75D, I didn't have a choice ;-)

Those who say range is king above all others, I assume you are all on the waiting list to trade-in your S/X/3 for the 500 mile Tesla semi? Without a loaded trailer, it will likely go even farther. ;)

Range is always a nice to have, but not the top priority for everyone. Consider your driving needs, add some buffer, make a decision. I've been driving a Tesla since 2013 and range has only been an issue a handful of times, all of which would have required a 120KWhr or larger battery in order not to be an issue, and the majority happened when I had an S60 and superchargers were in their infancy (my 60 never saw a supercharger in the 2 years I owned it). I have taken my P85D coast-to-coast, and would do the same with an S75D (it actually has more rated range than P85D). Now, if I has to drive 200 miles every day, or drove long trips where there are no superchargers, 100 would definitely be on my priority list.

Reactions: Raechris
I debated a similar thing. For me the S offers better cargo, so to make use of that in my situation I would have needed the 100d. Decided it wasn’t worth the premium over the 3 for a couple road trips per year. I also couldn’t bring myself to spend 95k on a car that will (should) be updated in the next couple years.

Reactions: evpulse
I have a 75D since 12/16, and have been quite happy with the car. I had decided against the 3 until August 1, when free unlimited supercharging is now available for the Performance 3 version. I test drove the P3D+ and fell in love. Reminds me of my old Porsche 911 - 996 years ago. Agile, fun to drive and accelerates better than any car I've ever driven. If I didn't own the S, I would choose the P3D+ given the unlimited supercharging available for both cars and the amazing performance and handling. I won't get rid of my S though... It's like one of my kids... Tesla rocks...

Reactions: appleguru
Performance aside.....

I would love a 3 once they are available in my country, but I will now look for a second hand S instead. Reason is simply space. A key deal breaker on the 3 (for us) is lack of hatch back. So for example cannot transport our dog. I also question if the 3 could take the whole family on holiday, suitcases, kids stuff etc etc.