TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model S vs P3D+

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pandamoanium, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

How many of you opted for the Model S instead of getting a performance Model 3 with the performance package loaded?

I’m kind of torn and would like to hear some opinions and angles which I might not have considered.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Torn between what ? S P100D versus P3D ? Or CPO S 60 v P3D ? ...the type of S definitely plays a difference ...

3. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I'm thinking more along the lines of a loaded P3D versus S75D, maybe 100D. I do not feel like paying up more for a P100D with all of the possible changes in the next years.

4. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

I suppose it depends on how many people you need to fit in your car and for how long.

• Like x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Between 75D and P3 ...P3 all the way ...between 100 and P3 the 100 ..my IMO ..m

6. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

For similar cost, it's really no contest. P3 over 75D all the way. I mean unless you ABSOLUTELY need the extra space because you are carrying stuff to capacity all the time, the P3 is just superior. Basically a higher performing car with far more range. Range is king in EV.

If P3 and 100D were similar in price, I would always choose 100D.

• Like x 1
  7. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

#7 Bebop, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    I would probably try to go on a test ride.

I do agree, I would rather get a P3D than a 75D Model S.

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Would you get a BMW M3 or a 535i or 550i? Same question. Do you want a more performance car, or one you can fit more stuff in.

• Like x 1
  9. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Would you like a 911 or an Escalade?

• Funny x 1
  10. roblab

roblab Active Member

I agree heartily: Range is king. After you drive a while (150,000 Tesla miles in 6 years), you get it. But... the 100 D has a 335 mile range, which at the time beats the 3. It costs more, but you do get extra range and a higher level of luxury. Depends on what you want. I think most people would be satisfied with the three, but I will still probably upgrade my old S with a new one.

I don't see why anyone would think the 3 and the 100D would or should be "similar in price," though. The 3 was designed to be half the cost of the S. As an owner of both, I see that difference. Of course, if they were the same price, one would be crazy not to take the better car.

11. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I was debating this briefly and chose 100D - range, comfort, size. I've loved my P85D so why mess with it? But I can see both sides.

• Love x 1
  12. appleguru

appleguru Member

I'd be torn on this one too. For me:
    75D pluses: full hatch, sunroof (and can install roof racks), instrument cluster, more space.
    P3D pluses: Faster, much better on the track (permanent magnet motors don't overheat as quickly when pushed hard), more nimble, smaller, better range (which also means: faster supercharging). Coat hooks, door and seat pocket storage

All things equal, I'd probably go for the P3D today. When I bought my 75D, I didn't have a choice ;-)

13. whitex

whitex Active Member

Those who say range is king above all others, I assume you are all on the waiting list to trade-in your S/X/3 for the 500 mile Tesla semi? Without a loaded trailer, it will likely go even farther. ;)

Range is always a nice to have, but not the top priority for everyone. Consider your driving needs, add some buffer, make a decision. I've been driving a Tesla since 2013 and range has only been an issue a handful of times, all of which would have required a 120KWhr or larger battery in order not to be an issue, and the majority happened when I had an S60 and superchargers were in their infancy (my 60 never saw a supercharger in the 2 years I owned it). I have taken my P85D coast-to-coast, and would do the same with an S75D (it actually has more rated range than P85D). Now, if I has to drive 200 miles every day, or drove long trips where there are no superchargers, 100 would definitely be on my priority list.

• Like x 1
  14. trm2

trm2 Member

I cancelled my 3 reservation and bought an S in December because I just didn’t like the 3.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. whitex

whitex Active Member

The point is they are really different cars - size, weight, materials (steel vs. aluminium), battery technology, etc. Comparing them purely on range (as a number of folks above seem to do when they say P3D over S75D but S100D over P3D) just seems silly.

• Like x 1
  16. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I debated a similar thing. For me the S offers better cargo, so to make use of that in my situation I would have needed the 100d. Decided it wasn’t worth the premium over the 3 for a couple road trips per year. I also couldn’t bring myself to spend 95k on a car that will (should) be updated in the next couple years.

• Like x 1
  17. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75Du & P3D+

I have a 75D since 12/16, and have been quite happy with the car. I had decided against the 3 until August 1, when free unlimited supercharging is now available for the Performance 3 version. I test drove the P3D+ and fell in love. Reminds me of my old Porsche 911 - 996 years ago. Agile, fun to drive and accelerates better than any car I've ever driven. If I didn't own the S, I would choose the P3D+ given the unlimited supercharging available for both cars and the amazing performance and handling. I won't get rid of my S though... It's like one of my kids... Tesla rocks...

• Like x 1
  18. roblab

roblab Active Member

Hey, yeah! Having driven a semi for a few years, I'd love to drive the Tesla Semi 500. Range is KING! :p

19. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

Performance aside.....

I would love a 3 once they are available in my country, but I will now look for a second hand S instead. Reason is simply space. A key deal breaker on the 3 (for us) is lack of hatch back. So for example cannot transport our dog. I also question if the 3 could take the whole family on holiday, suitcases, kids stuff etc etc.

20. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Surprised not more people but any emphasis on aesthetics. The S is still an amazing looking car, I love it and often look back at it after parking. The 3 just looks basic, nothing exciting about it. That would definitely go into my decision making process if I were e looking at both right now.

• Like x 5