Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S vs P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was debating this briefly and chose 100D - range, comfort, size. I've loved my P85D so why mess with it? But I can see both sides.

I did exactly the same thing. Much as I'll miss my P85D, I just placed my order for a 100D. The added range in the winter is huge. And I can't rationalize the extra $60K CAD for the occasional to make my passengers scream. :) I like the 3, but I find it a bit small.

I went with an S 75D (expecting delivery the last week of August) for a few reasons. The primary one was availability... at the time I placed my order it was 4 months for a P3D and there wasn't one available to test drive yet.

Aside from that I regularly fill the small SUV it's replacing with kid/carseat/groceries/grandma/etc, and it has exactly the same cargo space as a model S: 31 ft^3 with the back seats up and 60 ft^3 with them down. The model 3 would be too small for all of us to go anywhere requiring serious luggage.

We briefly considered a model X, but after 10 years of owning an SUV we both wanted something a little smaller/better looking.

I'm torn on this as well. I'm currently in the queue for a P3D right now but my fear of missing the year end full tax credit with the ability to do more family wise with the 100D has me in a $25000 quandary. We have an SUV already for bigger trips and the three would probably be a local commuter and for some small soccer trips basically. My wife would have to drive the 100D as a commuter as well since I have a company car. In the 100D being able to load up 3 small girls (13, 10, 2) and drive 4-5 hours would be much more doable vs the P3D, and a lot more fun in the 100D vs the SUV as well.

If I can take the P3D with all them in a 2 hour commute to Disneyland then it can work for sure. Even taking all of them to the showroom has not helped with this struggle.

Decisions, Decisions...

In my opinion I prefer the S but that's because I'm used to the size, vertical screen and extra luggage space etc. The P3 is definitely a nice sporty option though!

I finally test drove the P3D yesterday and wasn't as impressed as I thought i would be (especially since I have a 70). I do like it, and it feels faster than my current 70, but a few things did bother me. I may still end up getting the P3D when my lease is up IF they have leases for the Model 3's by then.

Mostly, I would choose this just because I don't like all the attention the Model S draws. I feel, once the M3 is more common place, people won't even notice it anymore -- which is exactly what I want. If I choose the P3D, I would remove the badging so people just assume it's the standard LR model. :p

Reactions: Graphene
I was faced with this dilemma when I was placing my order a week ago but I decided to go for the S75D instead of the P3D because I just love how the Model S looks. The S75D is plenty fast for me and charging shouldn't be an issue since I don't take a lot of road trips. I am also not too fond of the minimalist interior in the Model 3 -- I don't care if that's where the future of car interiors are heading, I'll pick the current Model S whilst I have a choice, lol.

• Love
Reactions: Graphene and P85_DA