TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model S vs P3D+

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pandamoanium, Aug 5, 2018.

1. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

Funny. I find the 3 really cool looking. Each his own.

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I did exactly the same thing. Much as I'll miss my P85D, I just placed my order for a 100D. The added range in the winter is huge. And I can't rationalize the extra $60K CAD for the occasional to make my passengers scream. :) I like the 3, but I find it a bit small.

3. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

I prefer instrument cluster and not a screen popping "out of nowhere" in the middle. It's too spartan and simplistic, so I went for 75D.
    A P3D is more value for money though.

4. 10dot

10dot Member

I went with an S 75D (expecting delivery the last week of August) for a few reasons. The primary one was availability... at the time I placed my order it was 4 months for a P3D and there wasn't one available to test drive yet.

Aside from that I regularly fill the small SUV it's replacing with kid/carseat/groceries/grandma/etc, and it has exactly the same cargo space as a model S: 31 ft^3 with the back seats up and 60 ft^3 with them down. The model 3 would be too small for all of us to go anywhere requiring serious luggage.

We briefly considered a model X, but after 10 years of owning an SUV we both wanted something a little smaller/better looking.

5. evpulse

evpulse Member

I'm torn on this as well. I'm currently in the queue for a P3D right now but my fear of missing the year end full tax credit with the ability to do more family wise with the 100D has me in a $25000 quandary. We have an SUV already for bigger trips and the three would probably be a local commuter and for some small soccer trips basically. My wife would have to drive the 100D as a commuter as well since I have a company car. In the 100D being able to load up 3 small girls (13, 10, 2) and drive 4-5 hours would be much more doable vs the P3D, and a lot more fun in the 100D vs the SUV as well.

If I can take the P3D with all them in a 2 hour commute to Disneyland then it can work for sure. Even taking all of them to the showroom has not helped with this struggle.

Decisions, Decisions...

6. glide

glide Member

P85D is the real best value for the money IMO

That's what I went with

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Graphene

Graphene Member

In my opinion I prefer the S but that's because I'm used to the size, vertical screen and extra luggage space etc. The P3 is definitely a nice sporty option though!

8. derekmw

derekmw Member

I finally test drove the P3D yesterday and wasn't as impressed as I thought i would be (especially since I have a 70). I do like it, and it feels faster than my current 70, but a few things did bother me. I may still end up getting the P3D when my lease is up IF they have leases for the Model 3's by then.

Mostly, I would choose this just because I don't like all the attention the Model S draws. I feel, once the M3 is more common place, people won't even notice it anymore -- which is exactly what I want. If I choose the P3D, I would remove the badging so people just assume it's the standard LR model. :p

• Like x 1
  9. s1rk

s1rk Member

I was faced with this dilemma when I was placing my order a week ago but I decided to go for the S75D instead of the P3D because I just love how the Model S looks. The S75D is plenty fast for me and charging shouldn't be an issue since I don't take a lot of road trips. I am also not too fond of the minimalist interior in the Model 3 -- I don't care if that's where the future of car interiors are heading, I'll pick the current Model S whilst I have a choice, lol.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1