Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S wheels don’t fit fender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 4th Tesla now, and one thing I’ve noticed about the newer Model S, the 21 inch wheels don’t fit the fenders AT ALL. I have a 2020 Raven and take a look at this gap. The offset is so bad and the gap even on the lowest setting is huge. What makes matters worse is that no companies make wheels spacers for newer Model S because of the amount of torque they produce now….

Attachments

• 657EDBC2-414C-4B80-A810-39C3FD03190D.jpeg
    657EDBC2-414C-4B80-A810-39C3FD03190D.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 440
  • 9549636B-742E-42DD-AC8C-0FD6429A0AE7.jpeg
    9549636B-742E-42DD-AC8C-0FD6429A0AE7.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 290
On my 4th Tesla now, and one thing I’ve noticed about the newer Model S, the 21 inch wheels don’t fit the fenders AT ALL. I have a 2020 Raven and take a look at this gap. The offset is so bad and the gap even on the lowest setting is huge. What makes matters worse is that no companies make wheels spacers for newer Model S because of the amount of torque they produce now….
Is the gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender 3 or 4 inches?? It sure looks really bad.

What is the suspension height setting in these pics?

I'm pretty sure the wheel has to sit inside the body lines. When trucks try the poke look they end up having to add something to the fender to ensure the tire doesn't poke further than the body.

You have to look aftermarket if you want a clean flush look by changing the wheel offset. I dare say what you have is as designed.

Two different issues. Get lowering links/brackets to reduce the wheel fender gap.
Then see how much he stock offset bothers you. If only a small spacer needed, torque won’t matter as you can get a small “slip on” set that uses the stock studs. If you’ll need something bigger like 15mm+, then yes, need to confirm the hardware can stand up to the torque.

Ultimate Performance & Design "UPD" have spacers in 7075 T6 aluminum (better than 6061) for the plaid. All good reviews on Ebay

CORRECTION !!

Since the prior Model S has the same 5x120, 64.1 hub, I assumed incorrectly that the UltimatePD spacers for the prior Model S would fit the Plaid.

Thanks to info from @vic55....
The hub/snout on the Plaid is very short compared to the prior S so normal tapered spacers will not work on the Plaid. Since the snout on the plaid is very short, any spacer with a tapered back will not work correctly. The UltimatePD spacers for the prior Model S tapers off from around 66mm to 64.1 and due to the taper, the snout won't lock-in.

At the moment, MotorsportTech (Adaptec) is the only one with the correct spacers for the Plaid. Apparently, UltimatePD is working on spacers for the Plaid.

They should be somewhat close to being flush with the fender. I had a 2017 Model S before with 21’s and the fitment was so much better. I’m thinking the adaptive suspension on the newer Raven has something to do with it…
Hello,
My tempest 19”wheels I bought will not fit 2017 model S 75D. The wheel is hitting the brake rotor. The tires are 255/40R19. They were a takeoff from 2021 model S plaid. Please advice. Helpless?

Hello,
My tempest 19”wheels I bought will not fit 2017 model S 75D. The wheel is hitting the brake rotor. The tires are 255/40R19. They were a takeoff from 2021 model S plaid. Please advice. Helpless?
How can they be hitting the rotor? You mean the caliper instead? Tempest are 19x8.5” with 35mm offset I believe so I’d think they’d clear. Pics?

I’m not sure what we are looking at here. Those are not the stock wheels, at least now for the new Refresh Model S. Those look look like Twin Turbine wheels. I should now as I have them on my Refresh Model S with 25MM spacers and they look great!