Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am new to forum and sorry if this has been extensively discussed before.

I am very eager to order Model S LR but I do know Tesla is coming up with new 4680 battery cells which eventually will get into all models. I know its speculating on when they will arrive and what models will get those first other than CT and MY.

I will be spending 85 grand on Model S and I can wait a year if newer versions of Model S will have updated 4680 cells.
What do you guys suggest? I know they are guesses at this point but there is always a fair judgement call.

Please advise.
Thank you

There will always be something better coming soon, so at what point do you just accept what’s available and jump in?
If the current model s meets all your needs and you’re happy with the range, then what difference does it make which battery cells they’re using?

Out of all the reasons not to buy a tesla, (Tesla the company sucks. Service sucks. Fit and finish still subpar) the battery cells would be the last on the list.

Thank you for your views. And sorry for my weird thinking.
By the way, Does the service really sucks? I thought the fit and finish have improved with newer model S versions but I agree that its still low compared to some luxury ICE sedans.

Well 4680 cells will be more efficient and possibly will come with more LR and faster charging.
I wanted to buy Model S year ago but I am glad I waited because I would be stuck with older outdated car just in a year time.

Reactions: hcdavis3
By the way, Does the service really sucks? I thought the fit and finish have improved with newer model S versions but I agree that its still low compared to some luxury ICE sedans.

Well 4680 cells will be more efficient and possibly will come with more LR and faster charging.
I wanted to buy Model S year ago but I am glad I waited because I would be stuck with older outdated car just in a year time.
Service sucks depends on your specific service center. Mine here in MA is and has been excellent.

Service sucks depends on your specific service center. Mine here in MA is and has been excellent.
It's not just service center specific. When Tesla corporate service center hands, it doesn't matter which service center you go to. Examples include but are not limited to "yellow screen is normal", or "if we cannot reproduce the issue, even if you have a video of it it's $175/hr for failed diagnosis", or "no loaners, $100 Uber is all you get", or "the part you need is on backorder, no ETA", etc, etc.. That and Tesla's conflict of interest against fixing anything under warranty or at least delay the fix to later (every warranty fix is less profit for Tesla for current quarter, with dealership model every warranty fix is a profit for dealership).

Reactions: AMPd and hcdavis3
Hello,
I am new to forum and sorry if this has been extensively discussed before.

I am very eager to order Model S LR but I do know Tesla is coming up with new 4680 battery cells which eventually will get into all models. I know its speculating on when they will arrive and what models will get those first other than CT and MY.

I will be spending 85 grand on Model S and I can wait a year if newer versions of Model S will have updated 4680 cells.
What do you guys suggest? I know they are guesses at this point but there is always a fair judgement call.

Please advise.
Thank you
I’d like to add some “color” to this conversation concerning the refreshed S. I have one of the refreshed models and so first, concerning the car itself and the batteries, I agree with the comment that there will always be something “new” that is going to come to make you go..
”man..should I just wait?”

In that analysis, looking at
-what the current car afford
-what your wants and needs are
-what is the expectation on when the “new” version might come
-what it might bring to the table when it doe

For me, in this analysis, the newly refreshed S has tons of what I want and on the new battery cell, THAT is squarely in the land of who knows when that’s going to come to the S or X and is presently, a wholly unknown.

What we DO know is that the changes that have been made to the performance and range and interior on the S are substantive and where the long range is concerned, these many changes allow the buyer to leverage much that was gained in development and production of the Plaid…but -without- the + 50K sticker price that comes with it.

whike the modification to the exterior are subtle, for me, they enhance/better an already timeliness body style I think smart they’ve chosen to stick with. The car sits wider and looks more aggressive and the blacked out portions versus chrome are great looking and easy to clean/shine. The 21” rims look fantastic and are similarly super easy to clean and get to. The body style in the front is just subtly better

Loosing a 200MPH top speed or having a 3.1 vs 1.99 0-60 time (for me) are relatively small “gives” in relation to thr “gets” you derive in the Refreshed S and so I just like it’s value proposition…better (if being pragmatic).

In my experience, the car is just…monumentally better than the older (say 2018) S and things like the suspension creaks are just gone and handling is so much tighter / better and things like acceleration (not only from the line, but at freeway speeds) is impressive and has markedly improved vs that of the older S.

I also perceive fit and finish as greatly improved in the refresh and areas like the inside of the doors and center console are just…better and no longer feel like chap materials (and don’t have the clicks and creaks you’d get in the older versions). I am, actually, generally quite happy with how the car came out of production.

Re: the second area (service), I’m not going to blow smoke and say that it’s been perfect for me in every instance. I think it IS accurate to say there have been times service has done it/got it right and other times where they could have done better.

I historically have appreciated the role and heart of many of the mobile service folks I’ve encountered (as I find they generally/really want to resolve whatever problem your experiencing, if they’ve the ability/control to fix it), but acknowledge that some of the concerns shared by others here have seemingly historically influenced service in the way it functions and that this continues to be an area Tesla needs to focus on and get better at getting better in:

For, me, in the times something (historically) hasn’t gone great with service, I’ve just ensured to be persistent. At the same time, I do concede I generally have given Tesla more grace in this than I might have with another, as their underlying product is so great that I wind up sort of mentally weighting that against whatever minor frustration I may have experienced.

Thank you for your reply.
I am of the same thought process as yours in that I am getting a great design for 50K less. LR Is still fast compared to rest of the vehicles.
I live in phoenix and I ordered the basic model White color with 19 inch wheels with no Autonomous driving package of 10 grand. Basic autopilot with lane keep assIsT and adaptive cruise control will reduce your driving stress a lot and I Don't think I need complete self driving as such.

Am I reasonable here in my approach? I don't mind paying more if bigger wheels would be better bang for the buck or even FSD if it really makes it worth it. I just don't have any experience with it and am unsure if I should go for it. Any thoughts?

Thank you everybody for their thoughts and suggestions. Didn't know the forum can be so helpful.

Reactions: FunSecured
I am of the same thought process as yours in that I am getting a great design for 50K less. LR Is still fast compared to rest of the vehicles.
I live in phoenix and I ordered the basic model White color with 19 inch wheels with no Autonomous driving package of 10 grand. Basic autopilot with lane keep assIsT and adaptive cruise control will reduce your driving stress a lot and I Don't think I need complete self driving as such.

Am I reasonable here in my approach? I don't mind paying more if bigger wheels would be better bang for the buck or even FSD if it really makes it worth it. I just don't have any experience with it and am unsure if I should go for it. Any thoughts?

Thank you everybody for their thoughts and suggestions. Didn't know the forum can be so helpful.
Indeed, the LR is very fast compared to other cars. The bigger wheels are just a preference thing, they're not lighter weight or better handling, nor do they give you better range. If you like the way they look, order them. As far as FSD goes, if you enjoy bleeding edge technology, you'll love it. If you prefer things that are more "worked out", you'd probably be best to wait.

Service absolutely sucks compared to any other auto manufacturer. It’s that bad.

Have used all 3 service centers in MA.

As others have said, it’s probably due to Tesla corporate policies and not the individual centers. I constantly pray nothing goes wrong with my car because it is a nightmare.

Reactions: AMPd
Service absolutely sucks compared to any other auto manufacturer. It’s that bad.

Have used all 3 service centers in MA.

As others have said, it’s probably due to Tesla corporate policies and not the individual centers. I constantly pray nothing goes wrong with my car because it is a nightmare.
Sorry you had bad service at Dedham. Every time I’ve used them my experience has been great. James and Brandon have always gone to bat for me.

For sure. Very reasonable in the way your seeing, I think.as others have said, I think the rims more an aesthetics thing than anything else. Yes, you’ll get better road grip and on the down side, loose some range, but primary for me was..I just loved the way it looked - to be honest. On FSD…you certainly don’t have to have it. The auto steer etc is great u to itself but like others have said..if you love tech and being a part of how things keep iterating / evolving..that part, for me, IS really fun and exciting to see and be a part of. I enjoy how it stops ans goes for lights ans stop signs now and am really looking forward to when I can use it with surface street left and right turns etc. I DO love the current ability to auto lane change (or invoke that manually) as that feature is quite convenient when driving LA freeways. You don’t have to start our with FSD (of course..can always add later), it’s just..you don’t know how cost for it will shake out over time and as the feature set enhances. No matter what you do…you’re going to love, love, love your car!

Sorry you had bad service at Dedham. Every time I’ve used them my experience has been great. James and Brandon have always gone to bat for me.
It’s not just Dedham. It’s Watertown and Peabody as well.

All the Service reps are very nice but their ability to address and troubleshoot issues is clearly limited by corporate.

For example; I brought my P85D in probably 5 times due to batterygate/chargegate. Every time they said “it’s within spec”. Even though I had real-world test case graphs plotted and cell voltages highlighting the problem. That’s not service. That’s a cover-up.

That was just one of MANY examples where I expected them to help me out with my $130K purchase.

One other thing to consider, anytime something really new is introduced (such as new batteries) it is sometimes wise not to be on the bleeding edge. I generally like to wait a couple years to let them iron out any quirks.

Newer isn't always better. Teslas silicon doped anode increased energy density but degraded really fast. Not a good trade-off and customers didn't know the trade-off until over a year into ownership.

And the people that purchased in late 2018 were stuck with an outdated model when the raven came out.
I bought in 2014 and a year later was stuck with an outdated model when AWD came out
I upgraded to a 2015 and a year later the refresh came out

It’s going to be very expensive if you always want to have the latest one.

Reactions: croman
Indeed, the LR is very fast compared to other cars. The bigger wheels are just a preference thing, they're not lighter weight or better handling, nor do they give you better range. If you like the way they look, order them. As far as FSD goes, if you enjoy bleeding edge technology, you'll love it. If you prefer things that are more "worked out", you'd probably be best to wait.
That’s not accurate, the 21s definitely improved handling. My model s has 21s and my wife’s had the 19. The 21s were more precise.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That’s not accurate, the 21s definitely improved handling. My model s has 21s and my wife’s had the 19. The 21s were more precise.
I have the previous gen arachnids, and they were lighter weight forged wheels and indeed do handle better, the new arachnids are not, so I expect they won't live up to the previous ones. -- although I am speaking prospectively, so I indeed could be wrong. Personally I'm gonna go 20" myself, (either aftermarket, or Tesla's new performance wheel option set to come out as an upgrade this fall).

I have the previous gen arachnids, and they were lighter weight forged wheels and indeed do handle better, the new arachnids are not, so I expect they won't live up to the previous ones. -- although I am speaking prospectively, so I indeed could be wrong. Personally I'm gonna go 20" myself, (either aftermarket, or Tesla's new performance wheel option set to come out as an upgrade this fall).
The 19s with the larger sidewall have more flex, much softer going into hard turns.
The 21s with the smaller sidewall are stiffer, very noticeable difference when making hard turns.

...I will be spending 85 grand on Model S and I can wait a year if newer versions of Model S will have updated 4680 cells...
Since Tesla doesn't announce when the changes would be, I just rationalize my last 3 purchases like this: It's a high-tech purchase. That means if I wait long enough, it would come down in price and be more modern. The issue is should I wait forever? I concluded that just like when I bought a Personal PC running command prompt DOS in the old days, I did it because I needed it so I didn't mind paying more for less power, memory, speed, technology...

And that's why I bought Tesla in 2012 because I felt I needed it and I could use it while waiting for the price to come down and the technology would get better.