Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model steering wheel controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are gloves that work with capacitive touch screens and controls. Or you can retrofit existing gloves with conductive thread through the fingertips. But we don't have details on how they work yet. They could be gesture-based controls using short range radar like Google's Soli tech. Or it could be swipe-based where you flick the thumb wheels a certain way. I personally hate both of those methods, but I'm not in the market for a Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Blowing up the picture of the wheel it looks like there are haptic buttons to the left and right for turn signals, lights and other functions. If this is true I hope they work with gloves on because it gets cold here in the great white north. If not this will be a bummer.
Car was designed (if that word can even be applied to whatever crazy process resulted in this ridiculous "design") in sunny warm California, so don't expect them to even think of gloves. Just like it never occurred to them to have vents that could direct defrosting air to the side windows like most cars that cost only a fraction of the price!

• Love
Reactions: thebishop and AMPd
Blowing up the picture of the wheel it looks like there are haptic buttons to the left and right for turn signals, lights and other functions. If this is true I hope they work with gloves on because it gets cold here in the great white north. If not this will be a bummer.

It's a heated steering wheel, turn the heat function on and take the gloves off any time its above 0 (or switch to lighter gloves if you are sub 0 temps)

Probably the same as the 3, backlit and pressure sensitive. Where you can turn the lights off if you don’t want them. Someone mentioned elsewhere the horn better still be on the center pad since that will take some retraining to use the little button!

I Googled "force touch buttons" to find a definition, and found only references to this article and to zero-force touch controls. So can anyone explain what is meant here by "force touch" buttons?
Force Touch - Wikipedia

it's essentially a pressure-sensitive surface, combined with haptics to make the press feel like an actual press, even though the surface doesn't physically move.