Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new model X actual reliability, if you live far from a service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is actually one of the more common issues. Happened to me on both doors. Problem is getting better but still an issue especially in hot climates.
That’s interesting because I don’t see that many members complain about it. I recall I was the first member here discussing that my particular issue is caused by heat and a few other members agreed having the same issue, but that was it. I have been to the SC four times and now they are replacing my whole FWD. it doesn’t happen on my passenger side so there must be some defect. I am still waiting for the door to get here.

Hi. I'm considering buying a Model X, but have some reservations given some of the posts/videos about problems some owners have with their cars. Issue is, I live a long way from a service center (I live in New Brunswick, Canada). Other cars I've owned, also would have required long trips to take to their authorized service centers (porsche/audi/...)... but for all the simple things, I just got it take care of at my local shop and paid the bill out of my own pocket, even if it would have been warrantied. It's just easier, and I considered it one of the costs I'd have to bear to live where I do. However, serious or expensive issues, went to the proper dealership to get serviced.

Also, I'm well aware that a few owners with big problems does make for a lot of noise/attention, but may not really be representative of the whole community experience.

So I guess my question is... is the model X a safe car to buy right now (given where I live), or should I wait a while longer for them to get the kinks out? Is it likely I'll be having it towed to the nearest service center 820kms away (of which, they claim they cover the first 800 kms) very often or at all? Are the common issues easily taken care of at my local car shop ( trim out of alignment, squeaks, broken this or that) on my own dime? Are the owners with problems one car in 5, or is it more like one car out of 100?

Thanks all.
This is why I have two S's instead of an S and an X. The S handles much better in addition. My S's have 32,000 miles and zero defects or unscheduled service visits.

This is why I have two S's instead of an S and an X. The S handles much better in addition. My S's have 32,000 miles and zero defects or unscheduled service visits.
But the S doesn't have auto-presenting doors and auto-closing doors when pressing the brake pedal. I can't wait to get out of my S loaner and back into my X. Yes, there are reliability issues, but like a high-maintenance girlfriend, it's hard to break up with them. :rolleyes:

But the S doesn't have auto-presenting doors and auto-closing doors when pressing the brake pedal. I can't wait to get out of my S loaner and back into my X. Yes, there are reliability issues, but like a high-maintenance girlfriend, it's hard to break up with them. :rolleyes:
The autopresenting doors and the windshield are killer features I admit. I rented an X for several weeks last winter and the auto doors are actually really nice and very useful for when you are carrying something. I do miss them.

And I can't say enough good things about the windshield. I hope when the S is refreshed they incorporate that feature in - cruising on road trips the windshield really makes you feel like you're in your own IMAX movie.
While I see no barriers to implementing the auto-presenting doors in the S, I do see an issue with the panoramic windshield. They would need to structurally change the design of the Model-S to accomplish that, and then it would no longer be a Model-S and would be a whole new vehicle (and go through the whole crash-testing process). I can't imagine Tesla ever doing that.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
While I see no barriers to implementing the auto-presenting doors in the S, I do see an issue with the panoramic windshield. They would need to structurally change the design of the Model-S to accomplish that, and then it would no longer be a Model-S and would be a whole new vehicle (and go through the whole crash-testing process). I can't imagine Tesla ever doing that.
You are right but I will cling to my futile dreams and drink my sorrow away.

Reactions: vandacca
Our MX 100D was delivered on 9/29. We have had only software issues (homelink, driver mirror not returning to drive position after reverse, music not resuming) so we were very surprised when Tesla called to ask us to bring our car to SC to check and replace one of the sensors. Apparently, a call I made to ask how something works resulted in Tesla proactively looking at data from our MX. Their research identified a possible error with front right sensor giving false positive alerts. Since we had to take MX in to get the front license installed, we went to the nearest SC (Burbank, CA) which is about 1hr - 1.5hrs away, depending on traffic. They gave us a loaner (S 75, did not like as much as MX) and we picked up our MX the next day. Excellent service, way better than MB. I have never had such proactive service from MB, Cadillac, Audi, or Lincoln. After service, we noticed a whistling noise at highway speeds (above 55mph) that did not exist before service. My SA at Burbank sent me an email asking about my satisfaction so I let him know. The response I received (response received in less than 1hr) was that Tesla will come to my home and pick up our MX to correct the problem. OMG, no one can match Tesla service. If I lived 10hrs away, I would buy a Tesla over any other manufacturer at this point. My 2016 MB S550e was in the shop for 6 days with engine light on problem. When I scheduled service under warranty, I was told I had to be there by 8am if I wanted a loaner. I was given a C class loaner with 75mile limit when I live 75miles from the dealership. I needed 150miles just round trip from and back to the dealer. I asked them to remove that limit, they refused, stating if I have for more than one day, no problem (that is the kind of service you get from MB when you buy an S-Class) and no call telling me status during the 6-days. I had to call them to see what was going on.

Coming on my one-year anniversary with the MX. I've had ZERO reliability issues.... just fit and finish issues solved on first SC visit, and a cracked windshield . My real issues were connected to a service technician backing up my car into a wall. But that was just bad luck.

Wow, sounds like if you buy a Model X, you need to be ready to visit the SC at least once a month. :eek:
I don’t believe this is a fair assessment. Myself as well as three of my friends who have a Model X from different points in production have not had this experience. You can count my visits to SC on one hand, and this includes routine maintenance and tire maintenance visits. I have crossed the 40k mile mark.

I don’t believe this is a fair assessment. Myself as well as three of my friends who have a Model X from different points in production have not had this experience. You can count my visits to SC on one hand, and this includes routine maintenance and tire maintenance visits. I have crossed the 40k mile mark.

+1.

35k and after early birthing pains the product has been rock solid for 14 months.

Only service was change of tires and regular maintenance ie carbon filter.

The X is a great vehicle ......they even fixed XM radio UI.

Wow, sounds like if you buy a Model X, you need to be ready to visit the SC at least once a month. :eek:
I've had my X for 16 months now. It's been at the SC 5 times, and one of them was the yearly maintenance check. Twice was for a seatbelt sensor malfunction (2nd time replaced complete seat) and once for the rear spoiler and once for some trim adjustment. None of them left me stranded and each one I waited until it was convenient for me (eg. going away on vacation). My X is a very early model, so I would expect newer models to have fewer issues.

Go in with both eyes open and expect there to be a few issues, but it's not nearly as bad as the forum makes it seems. Forums is a place people go to research/complain about their issues, so that's all you see. It's like going to the doctors and thinking that all of humanity is sick. Healthy people rarely go to the doctors.

That’s interesting because I don’t see that many members complain about it. I recall I was the first member here discussing that my particular issue is caused by heat and a few other members agreed having the same issue, but that was it. I have been to the SC four times and now they are replacing my whole FWD. it doesn’t happen on my passenger side so there must be some defect. I am still waiting for the door to get here.
This was a very common issue and there were numerous posts about it. Your issue may something different. There may have been a fix implemented for new production. I had issues every single time my car was parked in the sun. Since the repair in June it has not happened once. I had a mobile repair done just last week on another issue and the tech was well aware of the issue and said the new adhesive and sensors inside the doors has almost eliminated the problem. Again your problem may be something completely different since they are replacing the entire door.

I’d do it for sure. All of my issues with both my s and x have been mostly fit finish and software related which was quickly and easily fixed. I had an early model s and had two new motors but nothing they left me stranded, all those early motor whine issues are well documented and it seems to be way in the past for them.

I love the brand and yes device isn’t what it was but it still kicks the *sugar* out of other brands. Keep in mind the X is a special car with lots of amazingly well fit together pieces that work well, you will likely need a door alignment or something at some point but stranded I seriously doubt.

I have read the posts in this topic and I conclude the following:
* the Model X is a great car, loved by most owners;
* the X has more than average faults, either at initial delivery and in the first year;
* it is not unusual to bring the X into a service centre 3 to 4 times in the first year or so;
* most repairs are non-critical but must be repaired by the Tesla service centre; the Rangers can repair only minor problems;
* the major issue is the ease of access to a Tesla service centre; many posts (all owners?) recommend not buying an X if more than 30 minutes away from a service centre.
My desire to get an X is now severely diminished since my commute to the nearest service centre in Montreal is almost 2 hours away from Ottawa. Doing this 3 or 4 times per year is not attractive.
Ottawa owners: am I far off the mark? Am I much better off with a Model S?