Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X charging limit to 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like it's been said above, it was redesigned because a lot of NEMA 14-50s are installed on 40amp outlets. In Canada, you can only draw 32A max anyways due to their electrical code.

Not exactly. The Canadian Electrical Code is largely harmonized with the US NEC. What happened was that the original UMC was never CSA or UL listed (in Canada) as Tesla considered it part of the car and covered by SAE regs. There were a few outlet fires most likely caused by poor wiring and/or loose connections but it brought a spotlight onto the issue by the safety authorities. I think the UMC was eventually CSA listed, but it was only approved for use at 32 amps or below. In Canada, owners with 40 amp UMCs were issued new 32 amp ones and ask to return the old ones.

The part I'm puzzled about now is that I'm 90% sure my car has charged at 72 amps from a destination charger which is just an HPWC, no? So why can't I get 72 amps at home? I know that is the default number in the limit adjustment in the car. I was testing a local J-1772 unit once and it started out charging at some current but with a 72 amp limit. After a while the limit adjusted down to about the charge rate.

If, when unplugged, you can increase the max charge rate to 72a in the car, then you should be able to get that from a properly wired and configured WC.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec
It's odd that the docs seem to not show this possibility. They list charging rates for the X and S and they stop increasing the MPH at a 60 amp circuit I believe (48 amp to the car).

I supercharged today, but can get some numbers for you tomorrow or the next day. Teslafi shows 70 amp, but since I've been plugging in overnight since delivery last week, I haven't paid attention to the mph.

It's odd that the docs seem to not show this possibility. They list charging rates for the X and S and they stop increasing the MPH at a 60 amp circuit I believe (48 amp to the car).
Because they are only showing charge rates for current cars? It get a lot more complicated if they start to include older X's and post-facelift S's with 72A chargers, and pre-facelift S's with single and dual chargers (40A/80A).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Yes, until very recently the 75's had a 48A charger and the 100's had a 72A charger. They appear to have dropped the 100's down to a 48A charger very recently - like maybe a month or two ago - but I wasn't paying attention.

Why on earth would they do that? Some kind of component consolidation? Seems rather pointless otherwise. I'm glad I got one that charges at 72 amps. It makes stopping at a destination charger much less painful to get a few miles to reach a Supercharger.

Yes, until very recently the 75's had a 48A charger and the 100's had a 72A charger. They appear to have dropped the 100's down to a 48A charger very recently - like maybe a month or two ago - but I wasn't paying attention.
Yes, that's why I chuckle a little at people overbuilding their home charging setups because they say they need to "future proof" for electric cars years from now that will have super high power home AC charging. Riiiight. Tesla has shown their constant tendency to be downward over time in that regard. The highest charging they offered used to be 80A, then 72A, and now 48A.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and GSP
Yes, that's why I chuckle a little at people overbuilding their home charging setups because they say they need to "future proof" for electric cars years from now that will have super high power home AC charging. Riiiight. Tesla has shown their constant tendency to be downward over time in that regard. The highest charging they offered used to be 80A, then 72A, and now 48A.

I guess I will not worry that my new installation is only 240V/50Amp

Reactions: PaulusdB
Why on earth would they do that? Some kind of component consolidation? Seems rather pointless otherwise. I'm glad I got one that charges at 72 amps. It makes stopping at a destination charger much less painful to get a few miles to reach a Supercharger.

Probably because most people are not going to need 72A charging. The majority of L2 public chargers in the country max out at 30A. I've only seen 80A L2 chargers in Canada. When i installed my wall connector, i only did a 60A circuit (48A charging) because NEC codes require a separate disconnect switch if you do above 60A, which would've just made installation expensive and cumbersome only for a meager 10-15mi/hr more in charging rate.

Reactions: jboy210
Probably because most people are not going to need 72A charging.
...at home.
We've been over this in other threads, but there are still gaps in the Supercharger network, where there are high amp wall connectors filling the need, and having a higher power charger in the car makes that much better. I guess that is still "most people" because not everyone lives near these routes that are off the Supercharger paths.

...at home.
We've been over this in other threads, but there are still gaps in the Supercharger network, where there are high amp wall connectors filling the need, and having a higher power charger in the car makes that much better. I guess that is still "most people" because not everyone lives near these routes that are off the Supercharger paths.

still "most people" since 99% of the US population lives within 150 miles of a supercharger.

Tesla says 99% of the US population is now within 150 miles of a Supercharger

Probably because most people are not going to need 72A charging. The majority of L2 public chargers in the country max out at 30A. I've only seen 80A L2 chargers in Canada. When i installed my wall connector, i only did a 60A circuit (48A charging) because NEC codes require a separate disconnect switch if you do above 60A, which would've just made installation expensive and cumbersome only for a meager 10-15mi/hr more in charging rate.

I used to think that a 14-50 outlet would be just fine. Then I found that my car would only charge at 32 amps because of the gen 2 mobile cable. This bugged me a bit and I continued thinking about it as I got ready for a trip and realized I would be arriving here only 9 hours before leaving on a 500 mile trip. Since there is no Supercharging in Frederick, MD and no Supercharger on the way here, I would have just 9 hours to put charge on the car. Since I only have 120 volt charging here I had to swing out of my way to use the Supercharger in Fredericksburg, VA, so I sat for better part of an hour at a Wawa.

If I had a 14-50 at home I could have added another 216 miles to a nearly empty tank. If that socket would allow charging at 40 amps that number would be 270 miles or a full charge, but it doesn't. So the other option would be to have the HPWC. It seems a bit much to pay for a 40 amp charge rate, or even 48. If I'm paying $1,000 I'd rather get the full 72 amp charging rate.

I have only had the car for six month or so. I can anticipate a situation where I arrive here needing to spend a few hours and go back on the road. In that case I would need as many amps as I can get. When I am heading toward TN the nearest charger is over an hour away and is not close to the route I take. I'd much prefer to leave here with a full tank even if I only have a few hours to charge.

Reactions: abasile
Reactions: GSP
I didn't read this entire thread.

The mobile charger Gen 2 (aka UMC) only charges to a maximum of 32 Amps - The Gen 1 charger from older MX's & MS's was 40 Amps

Yes, that was pointed out in the second post. Then it was discussed for a while why only 32 amps from a 50 amp outlet. Then the issue became that some are claiming Tesla dropped the charger rate on the P100D battery from 72 amps down to 48 amps. Whew! My head is spinning from all the misconceptions I had when this all started.

The part that bugs me is the only good way to get more than 32 amps at home is to spring for a *much* more expensive HPWC and then only get 48 amps... if that is correct. I think on my car I will get 72 amps and I'm going to test that this week when I drive up to Frederick, MD. I'll be stopping at the newly opened Haymarket, VA Supercharger going up and back and also the destination charger in Leesburg, VA just to test the max charging rate.

The part that bugs me is the only good way to get more than 32 amps at home is to spring for a *much* more expensive HPWC and then only get 48 amps... if that is correct. I think on my car I will get 72 amps and I'm going to test that this week when I drive up to Frederick, MD. I'll be stopping at the newly opened Haymarket, VA Supercharger going up and back and also the destination charger in Leesburg, VA just to test the max charging rate.

The WC costs virtually the same as the CMC, actually $20 less @ $500.

But beware, the WC has a lot of flexibility, and may not be configured to allow 80 (or 72) amps at any particular installation. For example, I have mine programmed to a limit of 56 amps. It also supports a variety of input voltages, 208, 240, 277 depending on the nature of the circuit it is connected to. Most home installations in .US will be 240. Most installations at commercial sites (w 3 phase power) will be 208 or 277. Details in the WC manual.

Last edited: