Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Delivery Disappointment [Update: Resolved!]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took delivery of a new X 2 months ago and while I am enjoying the comfort I am really not happy with the build quality. Before everyone jumps on my back about this let me explain. I am not a hater, I am not trolling, I have been a Telsa owner since 2014 and love the cars and am enjoying being a shareholder despite the ups and downs. All that being said:

First, I noted a few issues upon delivery, my DS said she noted it in the file and I can make a service appointment to get things taken care of. Being a veteran owner I was good with that so I drove off and went about my life. A few days later I started having issues with my driver window, I could put it down but not back up, it also made a screeching sound when going down, dry or wet didn't matter, so I would go through the reset procedure to get it working again, this took on average 4 attempts to make it work. It got to the point where I didn't want to use my window, especially during the rain for fear it would be stuck in the open position permanently.

Second, there are more eeks and creeks in my 2020 X than there were in my 2014 S! The steering wheel makes a clicking sound when its turned, a loud rattle was coming from the driver side B Pillar every time I went over a bump, the arm rest makes a popping sounds in coordination with acceleration and regen and there is a groaning/creeking sound coming from the driver footwell on acceleration and when driving. Here are the links so you can check out two of the sounds:
Steering Wheel
Arm Rest 1 & 2

Third, I take my car for service and they have it for over a week, don't provide any updates except for a generic "we are working through backlog and will need to extend your service at least until XXX day". Even if I called they wouldn't give me an update.

Fourth, When I finally got the call that I could pick up my car I asked if everything had been taken care of, in short, NO! The only thing they managed to fix was the headlight and everything else they "Couldn't Replicate"! In prep for my service appt I took videos of everything and sent it over to them, when i resent it the SC manager takes my car out again and FINALLY manages to at least hear the groaning sound from the footwell but since everything is working properly the only thing they could do was lubricate the mechanism and nothing more! To make matters worse when they bring the car out the B Pillar was incorrectly assembled and there were huge gaps (I could fit my finger in the top) that I could see right through to the back cabin! The SC manager just said thats not right and kept giving me the subtle non-verbal cue to just take the car and go. When I pushed she finally took it back so they could put it back together properly.

Fifth, Aside from the headlight getting taken care of they said there was noting wrong with my window, but they applied lubrication to the moving parts and adjusted the alignment. As I drove away I rolled the window up only to hear a squeaking and clunking sound. I parked and got the attention of the manager and she came out to take a look, she agreed that that wasn't right and would be added to my service log and corrected when I brought the car back to get the paint fixed.

All that being said, as I am leaving the lot for the final time I hear the creaking from the footwell, the popping from the arm rest the clicking sound from the steering wheel and am just sad.

The other day I noticed that I could see a gap on both sides of the front bumper by the headlights, I can actually see the clips on both sides that hold the parts together and uneven gaps, one big enough to put my pinky in, the other side not so much. I assume it had something to do with the work they did on the headlight but can't be certain, either way I should see the gaps or the clips on a car that costs this much. I was trying to upload pics of this here but for some reason it keeps kicking them back, no idea why!

SO I email service about that and about the other stuff again, being nice and professional and am told that out of everything certain items like the footwell are NOT covered under warranty and I would need to pay for all the parts and labour myself! After seeing this I am just broken for now and honestly feel cheated, ignored and generally sad that Tesla has gone downhill this much. Between the defects that came from the factory to the lack of care and concern to correct the issues from Tesla service I am honestly looking into lemon laws to see if that will either force them to correct the issues or get me a refund/car that isn't built using factory seconds at the end of shift on a Friday!

Here is a list of high level items that need still need to be addressed:
1) Driver side window repair
2) Paint repair
3) Driver footwell/accelerator creaking noise
4) Steering wheel clicking sound
5) Arm rest popping sound
6) Front bumper alignment

Let the 2 minutes of hate begin...

How did they justify that the creaking footwell isn’t covered under warranty? Unless they found damage from driving, why would you have to pay for service/parts on a 2 month old car? Just curious on what their justification was.

Have you tried taking the car to another SC?

Reactions: X-pilot
Yeah that sucks. I’ve experienced some of the problems you’ve highlighted. Back in the day, Tesla would have happily fixed your concerns while giving you a performance loaner. Now, Tesla service is overburdened and indifferent.

Some food for thought though...
- poor fit and finish won’t succeed in a lemon law claim, in any state. Regardless, document everything in case of a significant usability issue or safety issue that can’t be resolved.
- different service centers will have different opinions on what is covered under warranty; if you live near another SC, try that one.
- Tesla has become an expert in *not* dealing with fit and finish complaints. This is bad because there are many people who have legitimate build quality gripes; you seem to be in this category. I believe this has been caused by a significant number of Tesla owners who have had unrealisticM expectations because their Tesla is the most expensive car they’ve ever purchased. What other car manufacturer has people showing up to their delivery with a 4-page checklist? (Yeah, partially Tesla’s fault for having a shoddy quality reputation.) You can read it all across this forum, people complain about microscopic paint defects or panel gaps that are common with any new car. Tesla just made the decision to ignore fit and finish complaints because 1) too many unrealistic buyers 2) relieve strain on SCs and 3) increase profitability for their shareholders.

Reactions: X-pilot
Welcome to the club. I have a 2019 Model X performance and my steering clicks and clanks so load it sounds like a 1970s rust bucket. I have taken it in now twice, included videos, and showed it to them in person, once they returned it said they couldn’t replicate it and hit me with a $700 bill that they eventually wrote off. Second time they said it is fixed and I was so happy come to find it was not fix the second I drove off the lot.

I had to start my radiation at the time for my cancer treatment so I said F it this is the last thing on my mind as long as the car works for the kids who cares.

Fast forward a few months the noise is worse now so I requested yet another appointment and took 2 videos one from inside and one from outside. The noise on the inside with the windows up is louder then the back up sensor beeps. Guess what? They hit me with a $199 estimate to look at it lol.

I’ve had so many brand new cars in my lifetime, I have never once seen the dealer aside from regular maintenance visits. Been to the dealer 7 times now in the one year or ownership on this car. Tesla always makes me feel like an idiot when I come in for warranty with their “problem doesn’t exist” attitude.

How did they justify that the creaking footwell isn’t covered under warranty? Unless they found damage from driving, why would you have to pay for service/parts on a 2 month old car? Just curious on what their justification was.

Have you tried taking the car to another SC?
They said everything is operating within spec and because of that they can't justify replacing it for a noise that doesn't affect anything. My argument is that while it might be "in spec" if it isn't happening on other vehicles then something is defective or I have a bargain bin pedal assembly!

Yeah that sucks. I’ve experienced some of the problems you’ve highlighted. Back in the day, Tesla would have happily fixed your concerns while giving you a performance loaner. Now, Tesla service is overburdened and indifferent.

Some food for thought though...
- poor fit and finish won’t succeed in a lemon law claim, in any state. Regardless, document everything in case of a significant usability issue or safety issue that can’t be resolved.
- different service centers will have different opinions on what is covered under warranty; if you live near another SC, try that one.
- Tesla has become an expert in *not* dealing with fit and finish complaints. This is bad because there are many people who have legitimate build quality gripes; you seem to be in this category. I believe this has been caused by a significant number of Tesla owners who have had unrealisticM expectations because their Tesla is the most expensive car they’ve ever purchased. What other car manufacturer has people showing up to their delivery with a 4-page checklist? (Yeah, partially Tesla’s fault for having a shoddy quality reputation.) You can read it all across this forum, people complain about microscopic paint defects or panel gaps that are common with any new car. Tesla just made the decision to ignore fit and finish complaints because 1) too many unrealistic buyers 2) relieve strain on SCs and 3) increase profitability for their shareholders.
Totally agree with you, back when I got my S in 2014 the service was amazing, they bent over backwards to make sure you were happy. I get that every car has some issues, I can live with the paint/panel gaps but part fo the reason I bought another Tesla is because I enjoy the quiet driving, I rarely have the radio on and because of that those interior sounds drive me nuts. Honestly if they fixed that I would probably be a happy customer again.

Hi, Nuts4MS!
I am actually getting delivery of your old red MS at the end of the week from Carvana! Do you think it still has some miles left in it? It will be my first Teska (upgrading from Nissan Leaf).

Wait WHAT!!! Your getting my old one??? How do you know for sure??? Yes it has plenty of miles left on it and goes like a bat out of hell! I can give you a run down on the history if you want too :)

Hi, Nuts4MS!
I am actually getting delivery of your old red MS at the end of the week from Carvana! Do you think it still has some miles left in it? It will be my first Teska (upgrading from Nissan Leaf).

Just checked carvana and that is amazing! Looks like my old favorites are still in memory and survived the wipe!!!!! Do me a favor and take good care of it, I still miss that car and wish I was able to keep it and my X :)

Oh you should be getting a full set of all weather, Tesla branded, floor mats along with the original cloth ones, if not make sure you ask them about it!!

Wait WHAT!!! Your getting my old one??? How do you know for sure??? Yes it has plenty of miles left on it and goes like a bat out of hell! I can give you a run down on the history if you want too :)

I just put the VIN in Google and found your post from 2014 when you were waiting for it! :)

Based on all I read online over the last few days, biggest problem for early MS is MCU. If you can tell me if you exchanged the early MCU with bad memory technology to a new one under warranty, that would definitely help. You totally do not have to tell me anything, but if you can share about its history and repairs, I would of course appreciate it. My email is alaskin at gmail.com.

I just put the VIN in Google and found your post from 2014 when you were waiting for it! :)

Based on all I read online over the last few days, biggest problem for early MS is MCU. If you can tell me if you exchanged the early MCU with bad memory technology to a new one under warranty, that would definitely help. You totally do not have to tell me anything, but if you can share about its history and repairs, I would of course appreciate it. My email is alaskin at gmail.com.

Had the MCU replaced twice actually, first time it just stopped working, the second time it was the flash memory that got corrupted so they replaced it with the v2 MCU to eliminate the problem. Other than that the driver and pass passenger door handles were replaced and thats really about it.

So I took delivery of a new X 2 months ago and while I am enjoying the comfort I am really not happy with the build quality. Before everyone jumps on my back about this let me explain. I am not a hater, I am not trolling, I have been a Telsa owner since 2014 and love the cars and am enjoying being a shareholder despite the ups and downs. All that being said:

First, I noted a few issues upon delivery, my DS said she noted it in the file and I can make a service appointment to get things taken care of. Being a veteran owner I was good with that so I drove off and went about my life. A few days later I started having issues with my driver window, I could put it down but not back up, it also made a screeching sound when going down, dry or wet didn't matter, so I would go through the reset procedure to get it working again, this took on average 4 attempts to make it work. It got to the point where I didn't want to use my window, especially during the rain for fear it would be stuck in the open position permanently.

Second, there are more eeks and creeks in my 2020 X than there were in my 2014 S! The steering wheel makes a clicking sound when its turned, a loud rattle was coming from the driver side B Pillar every time I went over a bump, the arm rest makes a popping sounds in coordination with acceleration and regen and there is a groaning/creeking sound coming from the driver footwell on acceleration and when driving. Here are the links so you can check out two of the sounds:
Steering Wheel
Arm Rest 1 & 2

Third, I take my car for service and they have it for over a week, don't provide any updates except for a generic "we are working through backlog and will need to extend your service at least until XXX day". Even if I called they wouldn't give me an update.

Fourth, When I finally got the call that I could pick up my car I asked if everything had been taken care of, in short, NO! The only thing they managed to fix was the headlight and everything else they "Couldn't Replicate"! In prep for my service appt I took videos of everything and sent it over to them, when i resent it the SC manager takes my car out again and FINALLY manages to at least hear the groaning sound from the footwell but since everything is working properly the only thing they could do was lubricate the mechanism and nothing more! To make matters worse when they bring the car out the B Pillar was incorrectly assembled and there were huge gaps (I could fit my finger in the top) that I could see right through to the back cabin! The SC manager just said thats not right and kept giving me the subtle non-verbal cue to just take the car and go. When I pushed she finally took it back so they could put it back together properly.

Fifth, Aside from the headlight getting taken care of they said there was noting wrong with my window, but they applied lubrication to the moving parts and adjusted the alignment. As I drove away I rolled the window up only to hear a squeaking and clunking sound. I parked and got the attention of the manager and she came out to take a look, she agreed that that wasn't right and would be added to my service log and corrected when I brought the car back to get the paint fixed.

All that being said, as I am leaving the lot for the final time I hear the creaking from the footwell, the popping from the arm rest the clicking sound from the steering wheel and am just sad.

The other day I noticed that I could see a gap on both sides of the front bumper by the headlights, I can actually see the clips on both sides that hold the parts together and uneven gaps, one big enough to put my pinky in, the other side not so much. I assume it had something to do with the work they did on the headlight but can't be certain, either way I should see the gaps or the clips on a car that costs this much. I was trying to upload pics of this here but for some reason it keeps kicking them back, no idea why!

SO I email service about that and about the other stuff again, being nice and professional and am told that out of everything certain items like the footwell are NOT covered under warranty and I would need to pay for all the parts and labour myself! After seeing this I am just broken for now and honestly feel cheated, ignored and generally sad that Tesla has gone downhill this much. Between the defects that came from the factory to the lack of care and concern to correct the issues from Tesla service I am honestly looking into lemon laws to see if that will either force them to correct the issues or get me a refund/car that isn't built using factory seconds at the end of shift on a Friday!

Here is a list of high level items that need still need to be addressed:
1) Driver side window repair
2) Paint repair
3) Driver footwell/accelerator creaking noise
4) Steering wheel clicking sound
5) Arm rest popping sound
6) Front bumper alignment

Let the 2 minutes of hate begin...
That is some poor service. I suggest you try a different service center. If you're in Northern Virginia, the Rockville, MD location has been great for me. It may be worth driving up there to get this stuff taken care of. I've had service advisors go on ride-alongs to verify sounds. I was impressed. Everything you listed should definitely be under warranty.

My X was the same. The windows would go down but not up. Autopilot brakes in the middle of the freeway, XM radio not working, fan is vibrating. Since they can't reproduce it, it is not an issue for them. Nothing was fix except for the window which they said needs RainX to clean up the debris.

i tried lemon law but they said these are not lemon law issues even though I took it in over 6 times since i got it 6 months ago. If they put in as good will , then it is considered non-issue.

Make sure you check your invoice carefully. They take things out or put things in that sometimes are not done. My lawyer was arguing with the Tesla lawyer and it is just not possible since they said it was fixed when it wasn't.

****UPDATE****
I know its been a while since this thread was started but I wanted to report on the progress I made with my issues.

First of all I managed to light a fire by sending an email to a certain person at Tesla Corporate (no not Elon) outlining everything I mentioned above to include my frustration and the apathy of my chosen service center. After I sent the email, and this is not an exaggeration in any way, I received a call 48 minutes later from the Service Manager for all of Virginia. He asked me some questions and was apologizing profusely about my experience and stated he will make sure that ALL of my issues get resolved. With that he made an intro to the SC in Tysons and made an appointment for drop off.

I took my car up on Nov 5 and picked up today Nov 16. Long story short they did everything right: the paint issues were resolved by sending it to a body shop where they fixed everything and removed all traces of bumps or paint globs, the panels were refit and they put new clips on so there is no gap in the front or back areas, the clicking issue that I thought was coming from the arm rest area turned out to be coming from the passenger side door frame which was isolated and fixed, and the steering wheel clicking sound seems to have gone away the issue with that being a "bash plate" that wasn't installed properly, and to top it all off I asked when I arrived today how much it would cost to get the "Model X" badging added to the back since people keep asking "how do you like the Y?" and was told if I can wait for 10 minutes they could apply it free of charge now, I waited and sure enough when it came out it was badged perfectly!!!

I know people have complained about Tyco Road SC and personally I haven't been there since Richmond opened up but after seeing how well they did the repairs and the friendliness of the staff I am going to switch back even though its a longer drive.

Marco S was the person I worked with and he was awesome from start to finish!

For now everything seems to be good, hopefully none of the issues crop back up again but if they do I will post another update.