Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X - Did they fix the shudder problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the idea. In my case, I hopefully upgrade to next version of Tesla before warranty runs out. My current 75D front axles were changed 3rd time week ago. Euro X arrives about in September and my warranty ends at December. So need to sell older X 75D before warranty ends. Hopefully new ones shudder is fixed.

Does anybody know how common this has been relative to total MX on road? Has prevalence decreased with time? Does someone mind briefly explaining the problem?

I thought I read it can be totally avoided by proper suspension setting under heavy acceleration?

Upgraded LR model is faster so it seems more pressing than with previous model.

Tesla told me the only permanent “fix” was to avoid “spirited” driving. In my P90D. Seriously? They’ve tried many times, but it’s some sort of fundamental structural challenge that seems to appear with enough frequency to be a well document issue, but not enough to redesign whatever is causing it. I’ve just grown used to it.
Since there appear to be no true changes to the frame with the refresh, I’d expect the shudder will still occur.

hope it doesn’t shake the screen when I watch Netflix!

Tesla told me the only permanent “fix” was to avoid “spirited” driving. In my P90D. Seriously? They’ve tried many times, but it’s some sort of fundamental structural challenge that seems to appear with enough frequency to be a well document issue, but not enough to redesign whatever is causing it. I’ve just grown used to it.
Since there appear to be no true changes to the frame with the refresh, I’d expect the shudder will still occur.

hope it doesn’t shake the screen when I watch Netflix!

What seems to be the problem? It's really very simple.

1. Please set your vehicle suspension to Low to prevent the problem. Yes we understand this will cause premature tire wear due to the camber. But we would be happy to sell you a set of new tires.
2. If you're under warranty this is not a big issue. Please disregard it. If you're not under warranty, it is a $6,000 repair that we are more than happy to rectify.
3. Please do not use heavy acceleration. Yes we understand you paid tens of thousands of dollars to get the P moniker. Can we convince you to upgrade to Plaid? We promise it's fixed now...

PS..please do not complain to the NHTSA about it. They've been a pain lately and we promise this is not a safety issue that anyone has been able to prove yet.

Would someone mind pls explaining the problem and how prevalent it is? I assume not all X's are affected, just some unlucky ones?

I've had 3 MXs across multiple years and all 3 have had the issue. Just some sooner than others. As early as within 15,000 miles and as late as after warranty. How often you gas it and how often you tow seems to be a factor. (1) 60D AP2, (1) 75D AP1, (1) 100D/Raven.

Not true, it does under under normal acceleration. It also affects the S as well, not just the X.

Haven't had the issue on my S and that one gets driven by a driver who makes me carsick...it also doesn't have air suspension.

What seems to be the problem? It's really very simple.

1. Please set your vehicle suspension to Low to prevent the problem. Yes we understand this will cause premature tire wear due to the camber. But we would be happy to sell you a set of new tires.
2. If you're under warranty this is not a big issue. Please disregard it. If you're not under warranty, it is a $6,000 repair that we are more than happy to rectify.
3. Please do not use heavy acceleration. Yes we understand you paid tens of thousands of dollars to get the P moniker. Can we convince you to upgrade to Plaid? We promise it's fixed now...

PS..please do not complain to the NHTSA about it. They've been a pain lately and we promise this is not a safety issue that anyone has been able to prove yet.
I found a software setting to fix the issue. Put it on super low and chill mode. Drive only in the settings and viola! Problem fixed!

• Funny
Reactions: 5JMJ and gaswalla