Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X - Instrument Cluster doesn't boot, but car drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,
First time poster here. We took delivery of our MX75 last week. What an amazing car! I knew that we were going to have bugs and small issues to resolve. In fact I told my wife, to just start a laundry list of items that we would address when we take the car in for service.
Unfortunately sort of a big one has popped up and it now being a holiday weekend, it could be sometime before I talk to anyone in service. For the FIRST drive of the day (after it has been plugged in at our home 220v), the instrument cluster now doesn't load. This situation seems to be getting worse. Initially, my wife reported it took over a minute to boot so she could drive on our 2nd day with the car. When I drove it yesterday, I tried to IC reboot and that took a few minutes for it to come to life. I should also note, that everything else in the car is working perfectly during all this (Touchscreen, lights, music, everything...)
This morning was real strange one. The IC still did load load upon pressing the brake but after about 30 seconds the headlights and seat belt warning NOISE came on. I clicked my seat belt, shifted into drive and then drove off - ALL WITHOUT AN IC. In particularly, it never came to life.
This will defiantly be a top priority to get fixed after the holiday weekend but none the less I was curios if this is a well know issue or not?

Thanks!

You said the IC came on in there but sounds like it didn’t?

Two things to try. You don’t need to go to the Service Center (SC), you can call the main Tesla support number, but who knows how long you may need to be on hold today or tomorrow. :) Hit the Customer Support option since you aren’t dead on the side of the road: ‭1 (877) 798-3752‬

The other thing to try is turning off the car totally. Be sure that you do have the car set up in the remote app since you might need to turn it on there but it should start as you already did with the brake pedal.

Go to settings/service and do the ‘turn off’ option. Let it sit for five minutes and then turn it on with the brake pedal or the app.

This is as close to a full reboot as a user can get, as told to me by Tesla support once.

Make sure you are doing a full reboot- foot on brake, simultaneously depress both steering wheel scroll buttons and hold until the "T" appears on the screen. It will take a while, about 50 seconds.
I've had the black screen 3 times in the past 15 months and the above reset has cleared it every time.

Keep in mind, there's 2 reset functions.

Both scroll buttons resets the 17" display, but holding both of the buttons above the scroll wheels resets the instrument cluster.

For me, it's mostly been the 17" display that's needed a reset, so if it becomes a regular problem for you, there might be something wrong with your IC.

Both are safe to reset while driving.

EDIT: Re-read your post and it sounds like you're aware of both resets. Definitely worth trying a full vehicle power-off, but there may be something wrong with your IC.