Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor New Model X lighted applique in operation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We completed 3 installs of the new Model X light rear applique today at the Hamilton, NJ supercharger. Here's a very brief video of its basic operation: right and left turn signal, brakes, reverse, and running lights (headlights on).

Of course there are all of the other special effects featured on the Model S applique, as show in this video. The Model X applique includes all of these special effects, which are controlled by a bluetooth smartphone app.

We also resolved a few issues concerning installation so we could finalize the installation instructions, which we'll do this week. The principal issue was where to find an always on 12v power supply. For that, we tapped the cigarette lighter in the left rear side panel in the trunk. Perfect!

The Model X and Model S applique are now available on this web site.

I can't quite tell from the speed of the samples.... are left turn and right turn supposed to have the 'Tesla' streaming/blinking in a 'to the left' and a 'to the right' motion respectively? That would make sense, but it was hard to tell in the short demo sequences...

First blacked out Model "X" appliqué
Model X applique.JPG

Should have gotten a closer picture. It turned out to be a perfect match on the flat black.
When backing up the white lighted letters really pop out

So just curious, PA can have multiple "X" vanity plates on different custom group plates? Or is it just that nobody in PA ever requested "X" before, which seems kinda strange!

Looking again, I see a small "LU" to the right, so that must be part of the registration number. I wonder how that works on the license plate toll readers? Does it capture just the "X" or the "LU" also?

So just curious, PA can have multiple "X" vanity plates on different custom group plates? Or is it just that nobody in PA ever requested "X" before, which seems kinda strange!

Looking again, I see a small "LU" to the right, so that must be part of the registration number. I wonder how that works on the license plate toll readers? Does it capture just the "X" or the "LU" also?
That is definitely weird.... Virginia has hundreds of vanity plate designs, also, but there are no individual combos per group. One plate is one plate, state-wide. I wonder what that plate 'says' on the vehicle registration on paper?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@sataponw I have an unedited video of the install, send me an email [email protected].
To do the install for the model "X" will take you about 15 minutes now that we know were to get the12 volts from.
The rear "T" is a little more difficult you have to get 12 volts form the right side of the trunk. That requires you to remove the side panel and run a 12volt line up to the back of the trunk.

If you have a lighted appliqué then installing the rear "T" is a five minute job.

Up to Now the front and rear "T" could only be on or off. The rear "T" did have two modes Running lights and stop.
The next version of the front "T" will have a strobe feature and in the not to distant future it will have the auto charge feature.
So when your at a super charger the front "T" will fade on and off GREEN

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog