Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X LR+ or used P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
Hey all, interesting quandary here.

I have a 7 seat LR+ on order. Used inventory by me is extremely sparse which is one of the reasons I just went ahead and pulled the trigger. I was also terrified of the first year X. But after reading on here, it seems most are living with the cars just fine and even buying a new one, having not been so put off by the experience that they ran screaming, so that's a positive and has me considering an early used one.

The Tesla Center by me has a '16 P90DL 6-seater with about 30,000 miles on it for $65k with the 6-seat and most of the fixins including the annoying for me 22" wheels. The LR+ is a known quantity, comes with everythign, basically 50% more range than the P90DL, on paper, better suspension, latest software, etc...we all know buying the newest Tesla you can afford is usually the best bet. Flip side is, the P90DL still ought to be quite a bit quicker in a straight line, the 6-seat is a nice setupwe just couldn't justify the addtiional $3k on a new order, and it's $20k cheaper.

I've seen it up close but haven't driven it yet, but it looks like typical used car, similar to my wife's benz which we got when it was 3 years old and has been a fine vehicle purchased at basically half-off sticker, like this one would be. Some nicks and dings and whatnot, driver's seat has a little patina, but looks in solid shape overall. It appears to be on AP1.0.

For our use, it'll mostly be a commuter and errand vehicle so range isn't much of a concern. What is a concern is and general fit and finish and quality of a 2016 vs. a 2021 with a warranty that only covers us for another year.

How much degredation are the 2016 P90D's experiencing? Am I actually buying more like 150 miles of real world range?
What's real-world 90% charge range on a P90DL?
How bad, really, is quality on the 2016's?
Does the retractable spoiler really break all the time?
Has anybody done a range test on the P90 with 20"/22" and seen a significant improvement? I'd probably trade somebody straight-up for their 20's to get rid of the 22's.

Thanks guys

Reactions: SmartElectric
I agree, generally, with Teslas still on the near-vertical improvement curve it feels somehow riskier to buy used than new despite the savings. That's why I ordered new and why I'm ready to take delivery tomorrow if they would just shut up and take my money. I'm trying to figure out how dumb this is. Yeah it's an old one with the older AP (which I won't use much, and it does seem to have had the MCU upgrade), but it's still one of the quickest SUV's you can buy at any price, which I think is maybe a little less risky, at least that's traditionally been true with other manufactuers' "hot" versions.

The build quality is what worries me with an early X. Trying to get an idea of how bad it's really likely to be from owners of the '16's on here. I know there are a lot of you on here

My battery degradation is horrible in my 2016 MXP90DL+. Straight driving I might get about 180. Short commuting will bring it down to 90 if I don't charge it every day and let it run down. Last about 6 days with 10 miles of use per day.

Quality is good. Haven't had any major issues.

My spoiler has never had any issues. I think it's fancy

You will probably net 40-50 additional miles per charge with the 20's over the 22's.

I have some 20's for you if you want to do a straight trade lol

If I were to choose between new and used (and it was the same price), I'd get the new. Even if mine is faster, I'd opt for the higher range. It takes 30 min to heat up ludicrous and because my commute is 5 minutes, it's a noisy drive while the car is heating up. I wish it was instantaneous like the 3.

I take it you've not used ap at all? I use my AP1 constantly. In fact I can't even imagine driving a car without it. The only time I drive is when I have to or it's a nice curvy road. I am strongly thinking of upgrading simply to get the new autopilot. I think you would be much advised to go the new unit. Especially when you consider the probable retail value increase when you do go to trade in or sell the car. That 90 is likely to be 30 or 40 k less value when that time comes.

The 2016 P90DL I bought this year has been good to me. I have 20" wheels and I still get about 230 rated, but interstate driving is significantly less. The unique features on the 2016's are pretty cool: Ventilated seats, active spoiler, AP1, etc.

That said, I bought it with a 4y / 50K mile warranty. I would absolutely not have purchased a 4 yo car with a 1y / 10K mile warranty. That is a game changer for used Teslas and I expect most people would opt for a new car instead.

I got my ready for delivery in 1-3 weeks! Probably! Tesla text yesterday, whatever that means, and this car just isn't "spot on" the spec I would want, and the warranty on a complicated car is not a trivial concern either, so I think I'm going to pass. Thanks for the perspectives everybody

I take it you've not used ap at all? I use my AP1 constantly. In fact I can't even imagine driving a car without it. The only time I drive is when I have to or it's a nice curvy road. I am strongly thinking of upgrading simply to get the new autopilot. I think you would be much advised to go the new unit. Especially when you consider the probable retail value increase when you do go to trade in or sell the car. That 90 is likely to be 30 or 40 k less value when that time comes.

Newer AP is much better. I had AP1 initially and I was happy with it. Didn’t realize how far AP came along until I got the new one. My X drove itself with mininum intervention on multiple 500+ mile trips

Reactions: henderrj