TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Model X on display at Panasonic booth CES 2015?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Calvin.K, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Calvin.K

Calvin.K Member

#1 Calvin.K, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Very interesting. He says, "We'll have a brand new Tesla Model X on display in our booth in the main hall and it is gorgeous, you really have gotta take the time to come see it."

Brand new could mean "beta" or it could mean "still unreleased". Maybe that is where the white Model X seen being transported from Hawthorne is going.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Tesla would not unveil the beta this way, IMO. Definitely the old prototype. "Years-old prototype" does not have the same ring to it, though.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

6. shrink

shrink Member

Neat. Those rims look similar to the Roadster 2.5 forged rims.

7. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

I am at CES and trying to see if one of my PR buddies can get me in to have a look. I suspect it's the old one too but the pic Panasonic posted was definitely not the white one with the mirrors. Probably just a stock picture from Tesla. The show floor doesn't officially open until tomorrow...

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The pic from twitter at the show definitely matches with both the Hawthorne pictures from the 3rd and the original reveal event pictures.
    Walter

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It's not NEW. Not new to us fans but "new" to a general audience at CES.

10. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

It's probably not "new" to anyone really (unseen of course, but not new), "new" just sounds better than "you really have gotta take the time to come see the two years old prototype". :)

I think the reason Model X is there is evident from the photo too (the poster in the background), to denote Panasonic's participation in the gigafactory. Not that Model X is directly related to that, but getting a Model 3 prototype for the booth might have been a tad bit harder...

Besides: Falcon wings.

11. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

If this is an older version of the Model X what is the point of that? It just seems like a waste of time to me. Why would Tesla want them to display something that will not make it into production? If they wanted to display a car to showcase their batteries why not a Model S that is actually a real car? Does this version of the X even have a battery in it? I realize part of my reaction is frustration that I can't yet see a car that I put a deposit on over two years ago but I just don't get why they would do this.

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

For Panasonic, I think it's just something to attract more people to their booth, and I think it will do that better than a Model S. For Telsa, I suppose it's just to do something nice for their valued partner.

13. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

Not that anyone was really holding out hope for an X beta at the show, but this pretty much guarantees it won't happen. Would be rather strange to truck in a years-old prototype and then also have the new one at the same show.

14. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

The Panasonic booth officially opens tomorrow but I snuck in there this evening (I'm a journalist with friends at Panasonic). Sure looks like the old one from Hawthorne to me. See attached pic.

20150105_183117-me-and-my-tesla.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and yes. They had the model S in their booth last year. The Model X is, to the world at large, the "latest and greatest from Tesla." And I'm sure it will be soon... but not tomorrow. Have to wait a little longer for our reservations I guess.

15. Ulabrand

Ulabrand Member

16. trialcritic

trialcritic Member

Great video, thanks.

Wonder if this is the old version or have there been any changes.

17. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Having spent a lot of time salivating over the old images, then rechecking them side by side with frames from this video, I can see no changes whatsoever through the life of this prototype.

18. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Ha! He was there the same time I was. That's me through the windshield leaning against the divider while I was posting the picture. :)

19. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

[daydream] They'll have the car drive autonomously to the Tesla booth where the new Model X will be unveiled :love: [/daydream]

20. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I think we get a bit jaded on these boards. Any free publicity is a good thing, the vast majority of the car buying public has little awareness of Tesla--I still get folks who will ask me who makes my Tesla.