Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X on display at Panasonic booth CES 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we get a bit jaded on these boards. Any free publicity is a good thing, the vast majority of the car buying public has little awareness of Tesla--I still get folks who will ask me who makes my Tesla.

That is understandable. Do remember that Tesla is a niche car company.

1. Their car is expensive by median car price
2. They do NOT advertise
3. They make a very small number of cars by average car brand standards
4. They are too new
5. They are not in the ICE market, so many would not care for them. This reduces the probability of being known by word of mouth.
6. They make only one type of car currently

However, this can change very quickly. If all goes well and they have the economy model with sufficient range, it can take off. Barring any major hurdles, people expect the Model X to be a great success. I would personally love it if they have versions to extend the range to 400-500 miles, even if it costs $20k more, I am fine with it.

Ironically, they are in the news due to states trying to ban them, bizarre free publicity.

Last edited:
The Panasonic booth officially opens tomorrow but I snuck in there this evening (I'm a journalist with friends at Panasonic). Sure looks like the old one from Hawthorne to me. See attached pic.

View attachment 68264

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and yes. They had the model S in their booth last year. The Model X is, to the world at large, the "latest and greatest from Tesla." And I'm sure it will be soon... but not tomorrow. Have to wait a little longer for our reservations I guess.
I wonder if they'll have a rope around it tomorrow.

I am at CES and had an employee bring up the Tesla T screen to see the VIN - this one is using MODELXPROTO987654 - not too original.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420675591.968651.jpg

It's the old prototype. The one in the reservation holder email has much thinner falcon wing doors and a straighter roof.

According to this they are saying it's a production ready model in LV CES so close to what it will eventually look like?

>>>
Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is planning to ship the first orders of its Model X crossover vehicle next year, and the company is now showing off the production ready model. Tesla made one available for ogling at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week in Las Vegas.
<<<
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/01/tesla-motors-shows-off-model-x-ces-2015/

Link to a more in depth walk-thru:
Tesla Model X Appears At CES: Video Walkaround - Yahoo Autos

Last edited:
According to this they are saying it's a production ready model in LV CES so close to what it will eventually look like?

>>>
Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is planning to ship the first orders of its Model X crossover vehicle next year, and the company is now showing off the production ready model. Tesla made one available for ogling at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week in Las Vegas.
<<<

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/01/tesla-motors-shows-off-model-x-ces-2015/

They are just mistaken. It's the same prototype Tesla has been showing for years. And Tesla says they are going to ship the Model X this year.

In specific reference to post #5 on this thread, thanks TEG, I just want to point out what a great looking car I think the Model X is
with the FW Doors CLOSED ! That's the way most of our cars will be seen most of the time, but it's usually displayed for obvious reasons, with them both open. Also, on this "old" :smile: white prototype, they seem a bit "droopy" at the second hinge. Anyone else see that? Look for the difference there in the finished product. Moving on . . . mrjwen's photos -love those nice first posts!- clearly shows one of the more interesting and, as yet, unexplained (to me) features of this car: the tri-color seats. First row White, Middle Black, third row Tan ! Who thinks THAT will be available in the design center ?! :smile: ML

not sure where to post this;
I was chitchatting with a store employee and he said (note...I believe store folks are as much in the dark as anyone else about these things unless they have close buddies in design or production) that the final is a bit more squarer/angled in general and especially around the back. When I asked why does he think that is, he mentioned 3rd row head space, to which I asked if he had been in any of the prototypes and perceived that to be an issue, and he said he hadn't. But he did want to make sure I understood it will look different than what's on display at these events (which we know)

not sure where to post this;
I was chitchatting with a store employee and he said (note...I believe store folks are as much in the dark as anyone else about these things unless they have close buddies in design or production) that the final is a bit more squarer/angled in general and especially around the back. When I asked why does he think that is, he mentioned 3rd row head space, to which I asked if he had been in any of the prototypes and perceived that to be an issue, and he said he hadn't. But he did want to make sure I understood it will look different than what's on display at these events (which we know)

The lightened version of the Model X image from the email sent out a bit ago was definitely squarer than we'd seen before.