Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Owner - Battery range seems way over optimistic.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all of the replies. I have the Long Range model (20 inch wheels) so I was expecting at least some decent mileage out of a full battery. On the trip in question to Heathrow it was early in the morning and dark, raining and cold so I would have been using lights, wipers and heaters. I totally get that this will add to the battery consumption. I'll have to see over time how I get on with the consumption, and under different conditions.

So this consumption issue brings up another question for me. How are my 1000 of free supercharge miles allocated if my consumed power can be so different per mile? I guess it could do it based on the number of miles the car has been driven, but then sometimes I am charging at home, so the miles consumed by these charges should not be counted. This just seems way too complicated. So how does this work?

I have had the car now for about 6 weeks, and I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. It reminds me of a camcorder from the 1980s with loads of features, most of which you never use!

I have yet to get auto park to work. Most times it doesn't even recognise a space, and when it does I'm not driving to park! On the one time it did start the process, it starting to back in too close to one of the cars to the side and I had to cancel it.

I tried Summon mode a couple of times, and both times it failed to do anything. There is no indication why it was not responding.

Full Auto Drive seems a complete waste of money, and is pretty much only useful on the Motorway, and even then it sometimes get confused with lane changes with other cars around. Seems to be nothing like the videos you see online. In the end I prefer just to drive the old fashioned way. Auto-steer and automatic cruise control seems pretty competent though, but I already have that on my Audi.

One thing that totally annoys me is the software updates. Why in the notes does it always put the updates to the games first. Are these really more important than the actually functionality of the car. Seems very juvenile to me for a high end car (well at least when it comes to the price).

With navigation, I find that if you are outside cell range, the maps sometimes default to low resolution! I've never ever experienced this with say Maps on my iPhone. I really really wish they would add Apple Car Play support. I much prefer using the Apple Maps, and it even has speed camera support now. If the Tesla supported CarPlay I would instantly have this feature.

Autowipers is also an area that really bugs me. I can be driving in heavy rain, and they operate as expected, but then I drive under a bridge that is blocking the rain, so the wipers stop, but when I come out the other side, they do not kick in again. I have to do it manually first to get them started. Very frustrating.

The cameras are also irritating. When it's heavy rain I constantly get error messages telling me the cameras are blocked. Even when it's not raining and in full sunlight I get the same message because the sun is glaring the camera!.

I had the option to auto-open the driver door when approaching the car. This worked great until the time it was chucking down with rain and I first went to unplug the charge cable and then walk around to the drivers side only to discover that the door had obviously been opened when I first approached the car, and now the inside of the driver side was soaking wet from the rain! Surely either check if it's raining, or be much smarter on opening the door when I actually approach the drivers door!

In all for the amount of money spent on this car, and the amount of hype surrounding it, it has not lived up to my expectations.

Most of the concerns you have about range, and expectations not being met, could have been quickly researched, and identified before you bought the car. Then if you still felt okay with these concerns, you could buy the car and be happy.
Any new technology that is totally unfamiliar should be researched before purchasing. That just seems like common sense to me.
Buying a car worth more than $100k with no clue about its pro’s and con’s, then realizing you’re disappointed with so many things, is something you really own yourself.
Those pro’s and con’s have been known to anyone interested to find out since day one. They are similar pro’s and con’s to all EV’s in various degrees.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have the Long Range model (20 inch wheels) so I was expecting at least some decent mileage out of a full battery. On the trip in question to Heathrow it was early in the morning and dark, raining and cold so I would have been using lights, wipers and heaters. I totally get that this will add to the battery consumption. I'll have to see over time how I get on with the consumption, and under different conditions.

So this consumption issue brings up another question for me. How are my 1000 of free supercharge miles allocated if my consumed power can be so different per mile? I guess it could do it based on the number of miles the car has been driven, but then sometimes I am charging at home, so the miles consumed by these charges should not be counted. This just seems way too complicated. So how does this work?
It is based upon rated miles replaced. You can check your balance on the web site.
I have yet to get auto park to work. Most times it doesn't even recognise a space, and when it does I'm not driving to park! On the one time it did start the process, it starting to back in too close to one of the cars to the side and I had to cancel it.
You kind of have to trust it. It sometimes feels like you are too close, but it never hits a stationary object.
I tried Summon mode a couple of times, and both times it failed to do anything. There is no indication why it was not responding.
Standard Summon, or Enhanced?
Full Auto Drive seems a complete waste of money, and is pretty much only useful on the Motorway, and even then it sometimes get confused with lane changes with other cars around. Seems to be nothing like the videos you see online. In the end I prefer just to drive the old fashioned way. Auto-steer and automatic cruise control seems pretty competent though, but I already have that on my Audi.
Autopilot is only SUPPOSED to work on limited access highways. You apparently did not understand the description. Autopilot on city streets is a future feature.
One thing that totally annoys me is the software updates. Why in the notes does it always put the updates to the games first. Are these really more important than the actually functionality of the car. Seems very juvenile to me for a high end car (well at least when it comes to the price).
What? You do not appreciate the Fart Machine? They really do add or update features that actually affect how the car performs. I don't play the games either.
With navigation, I find that if you are outside cell range, the maps sometimes default to low resolution! I've never ever experienced this with say Maps on my iPhone. I really really wish they would add Apple Car Play support. I much prefer using the Apple Maps, and it even has speed camera support now. If the Tesla supported CarPlay I would instantly have this feature.
CarPlay also requires network access. Don't forget the built-in Nav includes routing through Superchargers and is aware of your SoC. CarPlay has no ability to do that.
Autowipers is also an area that really bugs me. I can be driving in heavy rain, and they operate as expected, but then I drive under a bridge that is blocking the rain, so the wipers stop, but when I come out the other side, they do not kick in again. I have to do it manually first to get them started. Very frustrating.
Mine work nearly perfectly. I very rarely have to bump the button, even at night. Perhaps yours need an adjustment (although I don't know if that is even possible).
The cameras are also irritating. When it's heavy rain I constantly get error messages telling me the cameras are blocked. Even when it's not raining and in full sunlight I get the same message because the sun is glaring the camera!.
Are you suggesting you do NOT want to be notified that a camera is occluded?
I had the option to auto-open the driver door when approaching the car. This worked great until the time it was chucking down with rain and I first went to unplug the charge cable and then walk around to the drivers side only to discover that the door had obviously been opened when I first approached the car, and now the inside of the driver side was soaking wet from the rain! Surely either check if it's raining, or be much smarter on opening the door when I actually approach the drivers door!
You can very easily close the door using the key fob
In all for the amount of money spent on this car, and the amount of hype surrounding it, it has not lived up to my expectations.
I think your expectations were a little off. I would recommend that you sell it (assuming you did not lease it). There is no point in keeping a vehicle if it basically annoys you whenever you climb in.

Reactions: iustin