Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X owner with list of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2020 Model X on Dec 18, 2019. It's my first electric, and overall I'm loving my X. A few questions...
1. AUTOMATIC DOORS. My first time parking in a parking lot with Auto Doors enabled, the driver's door opened and lightly hit the car next to me. There was about 2 ft of clearance between cars. There was no damage, but I've since turned off Auto Doors when I'm in a parking lot. Has anyone else had this experience?
2. REGISTRATION. I haven't received any correspondence of any kind since I took delivery on Dec 18 in Portland, Oregon. I would have expected something to come in the mail. I haven't even had an opportunity to pick my license plate design. Is this normal?
3. AUTO PILOT WEAVING. At first, Auto Pilot worked great. But after a few rapid-fire software updates, I'm now on when on 2019.40.50.7 and when on AutoPilot, my X has been weaving like a drunk driver. Seriously, I though I'd get pulled over a few times. Does anyone know if and when this will get fixed?
4. FSD PRICE INCREASE. I haven't (yet) purchased FSD. Will there be advance notice of a price increase for FSD, or will the price simply go up overnight?

1. I always have my auto doors off to avoid this.

3. Was it windy out? I’ve seen mine “snake” when it’s windy, but never ping pong when the wind is kicking.

4. Tesla never gives a heads up. I put in an order for my MX and 2 weeks later they stopped making my model and I could have purchased a LR for just a little more money. Wish I would have canceled my order. Sometimes Elon does let people know about prices jumps on Twitter.

1. Our auto present driver door was enabled since delivery in 2017. It never hits the other car or our garage wall. It would always stop before hitting the object. Now if you are parking on the street... it is a different story. Since there is nothing in the way, the door will swing wide open... just in time for car traveling on the street to run right into it.... I would check if you have a problem with the sensor. Have someone else stand in front of the door and walk up to it with your keyfob. See if it smacks the other person.

If it's windy, be extra careful.

Registration - each state is different, so followup to see what's happening. My registration took several weeks and some nagging.

Autopilot shouldn't ping pong, except when the lines are really spaced out, like at exits, it might.

Pricing changes are very rarely pre-announced. Just like most products.

I have had the driver’s door fly open from the wind. It also opened in my garage and hit a garbage can, giving me my first paint scruff early on. Since then I’ve learned to just monitor it.

I had horrible ping-ponging in my Model X in December and January. It has recently calmed down. There are sensors, tho, that the service center can check the calibration on.

I have a different observation than the other responders on the cost of FSD. Tesla has given warnings about past price increases. I agree that price changes (and feature changes) happen on the car without notice, but FSD has had warnings. But you do have to pay attention to the forums, Twitter and Tesla news sites. It’s not like Tesla actually reaches out directly to the owners.

• Helpful
Reactions: Amit519
OP here.
- There was no wind when the door auto-opened into the car parked next to me.
- I contacted Tesla Customer Service via Chat and he could see that one (or more) of my door sensors was out of calibration, which could be causing AutoPilot to weave on the freeway. He sent a command to the car to re-calibrate the sensors. I need to drive (up to 50 miles) before the calibration completes, then I'll know if it worked.

Lane weaving - been many post on the topic on this forum Started happening a couple of months back introduced by a software release. Has finally been fixed (for me at least) in 2020.4.1.

Ha! Nope, no camouflage paint. I don't remember the color, but it was nothing unusual.

Seriously though bummed your auto present did not work correctly. I have never had a problem with it. Knock on wood.

As others have suggested I would have it checked. Maybe the sensors need a tweak.

And also be careful when approaching the vehicle when it’s parked on the street. Time your approach so that when the door opens there is no traffic coming. The good news is when traffic is busy if you time it right the door swings open, you jump in all safe and sound!

I hope you get it all dialed in. It’s an amazing car. Love mine. Take care.

Had to repeatedly badger Tesla for the reg and plates for my X last year. They had to twice fedex me a new temp tag while I waited for the permanent one. Seems to be a major disconnect.

I've never had issue with the auto presenting door hitting anything, but in windy conditions it can swing open. I've just been lucky so far.

Enjoy your X. I still get a thrill from mine every time I drive it.

2. I purchased my MX on 12/21 and am still waiting for my registration as well. Here in PA, I need to get it inspected of which Tesla is not licensed to do. According to the delivery center, I have to do it within 4 weeks of purchase and have 1 week to do it after I get my registration. It has obviously been longer than 4 weeks so it is a waiting game at this point. I should also mention I transferred my plate and am not waiting for a new one.

2. I purchased my MX on 12/21 and am still waiting for my registration as well. Here in PA, I need to get it inspected of which Tesla is not licensed to do. According to the delivery center, I have to do it within 4 weeks of purchase and have 1 week to do it after I get my registration. It has obviously been longer than 4 weeks so it is a waiting game at this point. I should also mention I transferred my plate and am not waiting for a new one.

Financing, especially leasing seems to affect things. I leased my first Tesla (model S), and it took months to get the paperwork. First delivery was in Ohio, ran out that temp plate. Ohio temp tags cannot be renewed of extended. So they sent me a temporary tag from Illinois, finally in the third month, they sent men an Indiana temp plate. Finally received a real plate from the leasing company shortly thereafter.

I paid cash for my both the Model X and later a Model 3. In both cases I received the paperwork within a couple of days, and had permanent real plates on the vehicle within a week.

If it's windy, be extra careful..
THIS, 100%.

I was parked in a lot, at the end of civilization and a car parked right next to me (a serious beater at that). This was on a very windy day. When I returned to my car, the auto present door flew right into this other vehicle. Put a dent in the door and took off some paint on the other car. I left my info and the guy actually called me. He wasn't concerned at all with the damage, but did ask if he could get a test ride. Needless to say, I obliged and he was ecstatic.

Moral of the story, the wind can cause the door to swing open rapidly and damage a nearby vehicle.

When I bought my X in Portland late 2018, it took around 2 months for the Oregon registration, license and plates to show up in the mail. This was AFTER the Tesla dealer on Macadam finally got around to asking about the type of plates I wanted (that took about 4-5 weeks before someone at Tesla asked - and that was after I called and asked about the status of the plates). So my 90 day temp tags were just about expired when the plates showed up in the mail.

So with those temp tags I got to be the snooty Tesla owner pretending my car was brand new off the showroom floor for 90 days!

My auto open doors only work when im very close, close enough to grab the door if i needed to. Also my auto open door seems pretty good about detecting stuff and often only partially opens.

Registration took over 30 days for me to receive mine, i think i got my plates about 3-4 days before my permit expired. I opted for custom plates which i filled out at tesla during pickup. Apparently my custom plate choices were taken since i received normal plates.

The autopilot will vary as updates come along. The "swerving" is something that is firmware related and will correct itself in a future update.

August Built 2018 P100D X Owner.