Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Plaid Drive Unit Failure...should I be worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. So I picked up my X Plaid 2 weeks ago and took it straight to my detailer who wrapped the whole car with stealth ppf. Got it home a few days ago and drove it to work with no issues. However, when I went to get lunch, I noticed the whole car had become unresponsive-- no app support, doors wouldn't open, etc.

I called the mobile service guy who diagnosed the issue and said the drive and 12v batteries had died and become decoupled. I had to get a tow truck to take it to the Tesla service center while I was stranded at work.

They just got back to me and told me the front axle drive unit had failed and they need to replace it. Should I be worried that a car with only 100 miles on it has these critical components failing so quickly? My S Plaid hasn't had any issues except for the creaks. I already spent $8000 on PPF so I'm pretty invested in this car. I'm not even sure Tesla would agree to a buy back but having this thing fail so fast is a little scary to me.

My car was parked outside on a 90 degree day with sentry mode on and inside climate overheating protection on, but if a car can't handle that stuff without breaking down then what's the point of having these options? Not even sure if that was the culprit or not though. I was only away for 4 hours from the car and it had about 120 miles of range left.

Hey guys. So I picked up my X Plaid 2 weeks ago and took it straight to my detailer who wrapped the whole car with stealth ppf. Got it home a few days ago and drove it to work with no issues. However, when I went to get lunch, I noticed the whole car had become unresponsive-- no app support, doors wouldn't open, etc.

I called the mobile service guy who diagnosed the issue and said the drive and 12v batteries had died and become decoupled. I had to get a tow truck to take it to the Tesla service center while I was stranded at work.

They just got back to me and told me the front axle drive unit had failed and they need to replace it. Should I be worried that a car with only 100 miles on it has these critical components failing so quickly? My S Plaid hasn't had any issues except for the creaks. I already spent $8000 on PPF so I'm pretty invested in this car. I'm not even sure Tesla would agree to a buy back but having this thing fail so fast is a little scary to me.

My car was parked outside on a 90 degree day with sentry mode on and inside climate overheating protection on, but if a car can't handle that stuff without breaking down then what's the point of having these options? Not even sure if that was the culprit or not though. I was only away for 4 hours from the car and it had about 120 miles of range left.
A case of Infant mortality. Let them fix it, and forget about it. Stuff happens

Can't imagine the feeling of spending the money and waiting for this, receiving it, spending another $8k on PPF, and then having it fail almost immediately afterwards
Yes, I was not happy. But I guess if they can fix it by the time I come back from vacation then not a huge deal. Winter is coming very soon and I need it for the snow, so they can't take their sweet time either.

Reactions: AndrewZ
I was supposed to take delivery of my MXP last week but it was delayed due to a containment issue. Today, they unmatched my VIN because it had a "faulty drive unit". Their voicemail suggested that this is a known problem with many MXP's manufactured in the late summer.

I was supposed to take delivery of my MXP last week but it was delayed due to a containment issue. Today, they unmatched my VIN because it had a "faulty drive unit". Their voicemail suggested that this is a known problem with many MXP's manufactured in the late summer.
Yes, I think you're right because the service person wasn't very disturbed by it, as if he had seen others that had the same issue. Even the tow truck guy told me he's seen a new Tesla die in a parking lot a few times before.

The service advisor texted me today after I asked and he told me they have the parts but that it might take several days due to "technician availability". I mean, this is their most expensive car (which died with 100 miles on odo) and they act like asking them questions is annoying. Just give me a tentative date so I can figure out my car situation in advance!

I have to keep pressing the close button to override it. It just beeps three times and doesn't close when I single press the close button.
That could be a problem with the downward/inward face ultrasonic sensor in the door, or the door is meeting up with some resistance as it closes. It is supposed to stop closing if it encounters something in the way. In either case, a Service Ticket will be necessary to resolve the problem.