Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X shows huge vampire drain vs. previous MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded in my 2013 Models S for a Model X on December 20. Due to holiday travel and subsequent cold/flu, haven't driven it much.

But wow...nearly twice a day it loses 10 or more miles of charge and then recharges...far more than my Model S ever did.

I called Tesla service and the woman I got said, "That's because the Model X is a heavier car. It uses more power."

Clueless. The car isn't moving or even on. That didn't deter her from insisting.

15 to 20 miles per day @ approx. 350 watt-hours/mile, that's 5-7 kWh/day...more than I use in my home. That's like running an electric heater for hours.

This is in a closed garage, never colder than low 40s. I have climate off, key not in vehicle...what could possibly be using that amount of energy?

Overnight left unplugged my S shows none or maybe 1 mile loss and my X shows 2 mile loss.

Smart precondition = On
Always Connected = On
Energy Saving = On

I don't use any third party apps that may be waking the car for status and the key fobs are kept farthest away possible from the car in a metal box. Both of these are known to cause vampire draw.

Last edited:
For mine, energy savings option has little to no effect, but the always connected checkbox goes from 20 miles a day drain in the garage to 1 or 2 if I turn it off. I have it connected to wifi, but the cell radio is usually on weak 3g or less. I assume that is where the energy is going, as it doesn't connect to wifi very often, despite the strong signal.

AP is frequently updating. That requires internal juice usage. On one of those many many updates, I found the Model S in Jack mode. It may be quite some time before all of these ridiculous updates complete, & even if you didn't purchase the features, they are installed on the car, so it does keep updating.

Overnight left unplugged my S shows none or maybe 1 mile loss and my X shows 2 mile loss.

Smart precondition = On
Always Connected = On
Energy Saving = On

I don't use any third party apps that may be waking the car for status and the key fobs are kept farthest away possible from the car in a metal box. Both of these are known to cause vampire draw.

I have the same settings and show the same loss. Just parked it at the airport for the week and never saw more than 3/mi day loss

My X sleeps overnight and almost never wakes up. So almost zero vampire drain. Power saving on, always connected off.

But before I had a huge vampire drain and my X was not sleeping at all. I finally found why.

After I traded my previous Sig S in for my new X, the Tesla token didn't change. So I changed the Tesla.com password to invalidate old tokens. However, of course TeslaLog kept trying to connect to the Tesla servers with a wrong, expired token... THAT was my culprit. After stopping polling on TeslaLog, my X was able to sleep.

So if you have third party app and not using it, delete the account or in TeslaLog "stop polling" to prevent the app from polling Tesla servers at all. Just changing password was not good enough.

My X sleeps overnight and almost never wakes up. So almost zero vampire drain. Power saving on, always connected off.

But before I had a huge vampire drain and my X was not sleeping at all. I finally found why.

After I traded my previous Sig S in for my new X, the Tesla token didn't change. So I changed the Tesla.com password to invalidate old tokens. However, of course TeslaLog kept trying to connect to the Tesla servers with a wrong, expired token... THAT was my culprit. After stopping polling on TeslaLog, my X was able to sleep.

So if you have third party app and not using it, delete the account or in TeslaLog "stop polling" to prevent the app from polling Tesla servers at all. Just changing password was not good enough.
How did you stop the polling from teslalog? The only option I see is turning monitor off. Is that correct?

How did you stop the polling from teslalog? The only option I see is turning monitor off. Is that correct?
There are two switches on the top screen. You need to turn both off to stop polling. Technically if the token is expired polling shouldn't work and shouldn't affect sleep, but in my case with expired token polling affected sleep. I turned both switches off and now my X sleeps all night until I leave in the morning.

Reactions: rush6410
FWIW, I recently left our MX in the driveway for 10 days without being plugged in. Started with 230 mi rated range and ended up with 216 mi rated range --- e.g. a loss of 14 rated miles during my absence of 10 days. Location: Northern Virginia. Mean temperature during our absence was on the order of 50 degrees.

Smart precondition = Off
Always Connected = Off
Energy Saving = On

This is better than my 2013 MS, which at one time was experiencing a loss of 10 rated miles per day with same settings as noted above. Recent replacement of 12V battery in the MS has improved this --- now we only see a loss of 2 or 3 rated miles per 24 hour period.

I was PLEASED with the small amount of vampire loss in the MX.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Copied from a thread I posted on Saturday (which got zero responses):

hey everyone! I took delivery of my MX P100D yesterday evening. Obviously went joy riding for a little bit (oh my! The power compared to my former 90D :D) on the way home, but essentially went home and plugged her into my HPWC.

I haven't left the house since. I have checked up on my MX through the iPhone app and have noticed that my phantom drain is much faster than my previous MX. It's now down to 85%. It's only been 18-20 hours since she hit 90%. Is this something I should be worrying about? Is it something I should be bringing to to the SC as urgent? Is there something different about Performance cars, that I don't know?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5989.jpg
IMG_5989.jpg
IMG_5990.PNG