Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X shows huge vampire drain vs. previous MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is two modes of power off. Idle and sleep. Idle uses power. Sleep does but close to none. Power save off means the car doesn't sleep. Power save on means the car sleeps after idle.

If you use your app, it asks the car to wake up and change to idle. Idle usually continue for 30 minutes to a few hours, causing some vampire drain. So the more you use your app, the more vampire drain.

My Model X's vampire drain is approximately 2-3 km (1-2 miles) per 14 hours every day.

Seems to be a significantly greater vampire drain with a low battery charge. Arrive home 3 hours ago with 27, its now 16. So 11 mile drop in 3 hours?? Why does this occur??
Not sure, but i guess it may be from idling (not sleeping), and battery temperature dropping after the drive. Tesla BMS measures remaining miles / capacity based on voltage, and voltage is dropping faster in lower SOC. If you drove fast and long to go home, your battery was heated enough to have max performance, but after three hours of cooling period, the battery voltage might be down.

Not sure, but i guess it may be from idling (not sleeping), and battery temperature dropping after the drive. Tesla BMS measures remaining miles / capacity based on voltage, and voltage is dropping faster in lower SOC. If you drove fast and long to go home, your battery was heated enough to have max performance, but after three hours of cooling period, the battery voltage might be down.

But I am in SOCal, it was 80 degrees yesterday. How much heat lost?

Seems to be a significantly greater vampire drain with a low battery charge. Arrive home 3 hours ago with 27, its now 16. So 11 mile drop in 3 hours?? Why does this occur??

Probably nothing to do with the rate of charge. You'd likely see the same drain at a higher charge rate. I'd say you are focusing on the ration of charge to drain and since you are charging at a lower rate, you think the drain is higher, but it's not. Maybe someone else can explain this better. I would focus on what is causing the drain rather than assuming it is related to lower charging.

My vampire drain in both cars is about 5 miles overnight. The MX for the first time actually started to charge on its own after a couple of days. The MS was once parked with 45 Miles of range and drained down to zero overnight in sub freezing temps. There was no overnight charging available. Not cool... :)

Probably nothing to do with the rate of charge. You'd likely see the same drain at a higher charge rate. I'd say you are focusing on the ration of charge to drain and since you are charging at a lower rate, you think the drain is higher, but it's not. Maybe someone else can explain this better. I would focus on what is causing the drain rather than assuming it is related to lower charging.

I do have a dashcam but I doubt it would use 11 miles of range in 2-3 hours.

What can cause this?

But I am in SOCal, it was 80 degrees yesterday. How much heat lost?
Oh, then to isolate the problem, try turning on the Energy Saving mode on and turn always connected off. It should bring the vampire drain to less than three miles overnight (not per hour).
If it is still high, then definitely your car isn't sleeping. Are you using apps like TeslaLog or anything other than Tesla oem app?

Oh, then to isolate the problem, try turning on the Energy Saving mode on and turn always connected off. It should bring the vampire drain to less than three miles overnight (not per hour).
If it is still high, then definitely your car isn't sleeping. Are you using apps like TeslaLog or anything other than Tesla oem app?

Just remoteS but rarely use it

It seems Remote S has the ability to log vehicle activities - that means it could access the Tesla API in the background. Correct me if any of people here with good knowledge of Remote S.

Try uninstalling the app and see what happens. Also make sure Power Saving is on and always connected off. I personally feel that the general power consumption for idle mode increased after v8.1...