Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y 12v battery won't charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY LR. 5000 miles. We have only had it for a few months. It started giving Low Voltage Sytem errors when my wife got into the car at her work. No prior warning. Would not drive. Was able to get the following codes beforr the 12v died completely:
BMS_a063 unable to charge
BMS_a158 vehicle may not start
CP_a044 unable to charge
PCS_a023 unable to charge
VCFRONT_a478 low voltage batt ser is required
VCFRONT_a402 electrical sys backup power is unavailable
VCFRONT_a191 elect system power is reduced

I'm guessing either the 12v is bad but unlikely since it's a new car. Or that the DC to DC charger is bad.
We had it towed to the service center 2 days ago and I heard nothing for 24 hours. I tried calling and was unable to get any information. Finally I got a service message in the app yesterday afternoon saying that if the car is undriveable that I should have it towed to a service center. Facepalm time. I said it's in your lot and the keycard is in your drop box. Then I got a notification that it is being serviced. No updates. No estimates. Super unimpressed with the service experience so far. I'm reading these horror stories and am quite nervous. When you buy a $70k car you expect better.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm in for here?

I think you will need to re-calibrate your customer service expectations with Tesla. What you are is experiencing is fairly common when dealing with Tesla service. Unfortunately, since we cannot change Tesla's service response levels , I think we can only change our expectations to deal with such situations.

Ha. Well I think you might be right about service unfortunately. Although I do expect reliability to be higher.
I just got an update in the app. They think there is a problem with the "high voltage controller" and they are having some software issues also.

Now they are saying they are having issues with getting the software to load... so maybe it was just a computer issue? I'll update the thread when I find out more. Hopefully it can help someone else later.

High voltage controller replaced. There was a slow software installation issue. But everything seems to be good. Got our car back in 5 days so not terrible. I just hate to have a quality issue like that.

New MY LR. 5000 miles. We have only had it for a few months. It started giving Low Voltage Sytem errors when my wife got into the car at her work. No prior warning. Would not drive. Was able to get the following codes beforr the 12v died completely:
BMS_a063 unable to charge
BMS_a158 vehicle may not start
CP_a044 unable to charge
PCS_a023 unable to charge
VCFRONT_a478 low voltage batt ser is required
VCFRONT_a402 electrical sys backup power is unavailable
VCFRONT_a191 elect system power is reduced

I'm guessing either the 12v is bad but unlikely since it's a new car. Or that the DC to DC charger is bad.
We had it towed to the service center 2 days ago and I heard nothing for 24 hours. I tried calling and was unable to get any information. Finally I got a service message in the app yesterday afternoon saying that if the car is undriveable that I should have it towed to a service center. Facepalm time. I said it's in your lot and the keycard is in your drop box. Then I got a notification that it is being serviced. No updates. No estimates. Super unimpressed with the service experience so far. I'm reading these horror stories and am quite nervous. When you buy a $70k car you expect better.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm in for here?
Right there with you man - quality is hard to gauge when this happens. I have NEVER had a new car do these things - I have bought over 30 new cars in my life and all of them had only minor or most had zero issues. Worst issue was break adjustments on an Acura MDX after 8k miles - and similar on a corroborate in 1990's. They had to clean breaks I think - very minor - caused by lots of new brake dust.