Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW MODEL Y 18 inch at Tsportline?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For owners with the MYP, the 18" with 245/50R18's look to be about 1" lower in overall height than stock (275/35/R21) according to the "tire size" website, is this correct? Any significant impact on the speedometer reading? I'm assuming there would be no other issues outside of the speedometer being off.

Thanks.
I have 18" TST's and Michelin Pilot All Season 4s on my relatively new MYLR. They are a bit smaller than the OEM 19" - 740 revs/mile vs. 730. Here's a really cool website for calculating all that Tire Size Calculator
I confirmed that with a rudimentary 3-mile stretch of straight interstate with a stopwatch - cruise set at 72mph, actual was 70.8 mph.
Also, my efficiency is definitely less - averaged 230 wh/mi around town with the OEM Contis, and about 253 wh/mi with the new setup. So that's about 10% worse. Noticeably better ride, and noise level about the same IMO.
The tire configurator does not have an option for 18" wheels, but I wonder if I can fool the car by saying I have the 20" induction wheels. It won't help the speed error, but might help with range prediction accuracy since I seem to be getting about the same range as the 20" OEM setup. Has anyone tried that?

Reactions: Tezla041
I have 18" TST's and Michelin Pilot All Season 4s on my relatively new MYLR. They are a bit smaller than the OEM 19" - 740 revs/mile vs. 730. Here's a really cool website for calculating all that Tire Size Calculator
I confirmed that with a rudimentary 3-mile stretch of straight interstate with a stopwatch - cruise set at 72mph, actual was 70.8 mph.
Also, my efficiency is definitely less - averaged 230 wh/mi around town with the OEM Contis, and about 253 wh/mi with the new setup. So that's about 10% worse. Noticeably better ride, and noise level about the same IMO.
The tire configurator does not have an option for 18" wheels, but I wonder if I can fool the car by saying I have the 20" induction wheels. It won't help the speed error, but might help with range prediction accuracy since I seem to be getting about the same range as the 20" OEM setup. Has anyone tried that?
I believe the 21" option will give you closest overall diameter.

Love my 18" TST's
howQI9U.jpg

I just got tires installed on my TSS tsportline 18's. I put Michelin AS4, 235/55/R18. The ride is even nicer combined with my MPP coils.

Michelin's AS tires run at the widest end of the spectrum for their size. The 235's are more like 245. It looks meaty and I have a ton of curb protection. I'll be watching my efficiency to see if it takes a hit. I'am seeing ~7% less efficiency, but tires are still too new to call it.

Reactions: MattM24
I went with the Falken Wild Peaks directly from TSportline. They have been incredible on the icy snowy roads so far. No complaints and they were great when there was no snow.

Attachments

• DA48B4AF-936E-4521-942C-8A01E73E830C.jpeg
    DA48B4AF-936E-4521-942C-8A01E73E830C.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 221
  • FED6DCD8-537D-4192-9130-7D93EE34FB9D.jpeg
    FED6DCD8-537D-4192-9130-7D93EE34FB9D.jpeg
    618.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
255/50-18 is the correct size for Model Y fitment - but it doesn't (reasonably) exist since it's so uncommon of a size. 245/50-18 is the next closest, and will keep the speedometer/odometer the most accurate. Anything else will bump the diameter up or down too drastically to keep speeds accurate on the dash.
I tested my car with my DRAGY GPS Performance Device and with the 245/50s my speedometer read exactly the same speeds all the way to 80 mph. It had the same - 2 mph delta from actual. So 70 indicated is 68. Works for me.

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 2.19.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 7.34.21 PM.png

Tsportline TS5 18" vs Tesla Gemini 19"
Spent over $3000. on the Tsportline TS5's because the rims are 7 1/2 lbs. lighter than the 29 1/2 lb. Gemini rims. Saving 30 pounds of rotational mass!!!
Turns out the 245/50-18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 are 3 lbs. Heavier than the OEM Continental Gemini tires. So I'm not sure why the real world difference between the two wheels is only 2 lbs! So if you're looking for a performance and efficiency improvement, think again. They do seem to ride smoother and quieter. Only saving 8 lbs. of rotational mass oner all. 😢
Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 5.15.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 5.15.35 AM.png

OK ladies and gents. Ordered the wheels yesterday and received them today. o_O These are the RTX Spider #082734

Packaged very well. I was wrong, they are made for the Tesla lug nuts. They weigh 22lbs each. They fit like a glove and no clearance issue whatsoever in fact lots of room. Now just need to decide on tires but they will be 245/50R18.

After a lot of searching I cannot seem to find.. do you know if these work on MYP? I know you installed them on a LR but I'm surprised no one tried it on a P

I don't know why it has to be TSR. If you are asking if there is a comfort benefit from reducing the wheel size, there will be a very small one. The ride will still be bumpy and noisy.
While it’s true that it will be bumpy and noisy, it should vary by how much.

The biggest issue of this is, it’s highly subjective from person to person over what is acceptable.

So, in reality, only each person can determine for themselves if the change is beneficial or not, or by how much.