Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y curb rash on Day 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Model Y on Friday and I got distracted as the seat belt sign was on (this was due to a passenger in the back row for the first time without a seat belt) Hit the curb and the rim popped off.
But now I have bad curb rash.

Have setup an appointment with Tesla Service for Thursday.

Trying to figure out my options here as far as how much would this cost and would it better to replace the RIM or get it fixed. And if I get it fixed would be cheaper to get it done at a local shop. I also plan on getting the wheels powercoated to black, not sure if that would play a part in the decision making

Attachments

• D8FF1103-EC4B-4841-880C-FB0F57CDB53F_1_105_c.jpeg
    D8FF1103-EC4B-4841-880C-FB0F57CDB53F_1_105_c.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,395
  • D8FF1103-EC4B-4841-880C-FB0F57CDB53F_1_102_o.jpeg
    D8FF1103-EC4B-4841-880C-FB0F57CDB53F_1_102_o.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 1,218
Holy Cow!!!

I would say that worse than "curb rash". That rim is fractured. I'm not sure you should be driving on it. While the tire may hold air, you don't know how well the rim will hold the bead of the tire or if there's any structural damage beyond the chipped edges. It might be fine until you hit a bump and the tire pops off.

Holy Cow!!!

I would say that worse than "curb rash". That rim is fractured. I'm not sure you should be driving on it. While the tire may hold air, you don't know how well the rim will hold the bead of the tire or if there's any structural damage beyond the chipped edges. It might be fine until you hit a bump and the tire pops off.

Tire is not gonna pop off. Looks perfectly fine to drive.

The "Bead" that actually seals the air is about and inch towards the hub from the cosmetic damage at the lip.

I'd probably go for a new rim though.

At least it was just a rim and not worse.

I think this can be easily fixed at rim repair shops for couple of hundreds.
Cheaper than a wheel. Just do a quick search for wheel repairs.
I don’t see any fracture. Is there any cracks on the rim?
I agree, if the wheel is not bent, some compound filler will fix the cosmetic issue.

I good way to check if the wheel is not bent, is to raise the car,
if this is for the rear wheel you need to used the Tow mode to disengage the parking brake,
and then start rotating the wheel with one hand,
and hold a screw driver next to the rim with the other hand to see if there is any bent,
the same way you would check a bicycle wheel.​

I had the same problem with my Model 3 and I used the following products:

There are tons of video on this subject:

I would recommend also doing a wheel alignment.

BTW, are those the 19" Gemini without a cover?

What are the tire dimensions?

On my model 3, I wish the tires were a little bit wider to protect more from curb rash.
Next set I will use 255 mm instead of 235 mm width.

Note: When you backup, you can adjust the rear mirrors to show automatically the wheel instead of the rear of the car/

Last edited:
The body shops are not usually good at this. They have plenty of customers in n out and do not have detailing passion for this task. You can search for “Curbside Wheel Repair“ jobs and have a look at their reviews. They have the right color code and fillers and usually end result can be amazing. Your wheel issue is pretty common in Tesla rims.

Just picked up my Model Y on Friday and I got distracted as the seat belt sign was on (this was due to a passenger in the back row for the first time without a seat belt) Hit the curb and the rim popped off.
But now I have bad curb rash.

Have setup an appointment with Tesla Service for Thursday.

Trying to figure out my options here as far as how much would this cost and would it better to replace the RIM or get it fixed. And if I get it fixed would be cheaper to get it done at a local shop. I also plan on getting the wheels powercoated to black, not sure if that would play a part in the decision making

Be glad you didn't get the 21" they pretrude so much they are a literal magnet for curb rash.

Attachments

• 852145EE-4B57-40B4-A163-E51F2CD2DB5B.jpeg
    852145EE-4B57-40B4-A163-E51F2CD2DB5B.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 1,065
I took it to a wheel and tire repair shop they said the same that it is beyond repair. Have an appointment on Thursday now to with Tesla service to determine what options they have to offer.

Has anyone bought a single rim from Tesla and how much did you pay for parts and install?

I called a couple more guys and most said that the wheel was beyond repair. John Lowndes with Alloy Wheel Repair said that he could not promise but will try to fix it. I also asked him to powdercoat all the wheels black only if he could fix the wheel. He picked up the wheels yesterday and just dropped them off.

The pictures speak for themselves. He did an amazing job and at a very reasonable price. I would have paid atleast double at Tesla for the wheel alone.

The picture of the car with the wheel is the damaged one.

He does work for a lot of the local dealers and if you need wheel repair in Central NJ please reach out to him at 908-489-1740

Attachments

• 72375D39-1A77-4FC6-97CA-318BF2EF2EE8.jpeg
    72375D39-1A77-4FC6-97CA-318BF2EF2EE8.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 868
  • 59AEB2E3-ED14-45C8-BB31-1D1BED61CC5F.jpeg
    59AEB2E3-ED14-45C8-BB31-1D1BED61CC5F.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 1,089