TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by 11thIndian, Dec 3, 2018.

1. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

Article from business insider today about an internal document concerning Model Y that was circulated before the last earnings call. Tesla who was contacted about the report says the points are now "outdated" Key Points-

Production was to start in July 2020 at Gigafactory 1, with an aggressive goal of 7,000/wk by then end of the year. While at the Chinese Gigafactory, production was to ramp to 5,000/wk by Feb of 2021.

Other notes regarding the Model Y indicated it was to include an IP (Instrument Panel) Riser, a center consul riser and a third row of seats (really? huh...)

https://www.businessinsider.com/tes...PJC611bYWAKQum1zWSTlyQSaNQ0Wrv4COsnlsfxFOtE9A

2. electracity

electracity Active Member

The third row seat seems unlikely, as even the model X is not a large SUV. But who knows.

This is going to be interesting. I wonder what showing the model Y in March will do to model 3 sales.

• Like x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I don't see the unveiling having much effect on 3 sales. The Y forthcoming has been widely publicized, most people buying the 3 are aware of the Y coming soon and are still buying the 3 either because they do not want to wait or do not want a crossover. People that want the Y are already waiting and not buying the 3.

There will be an effect on 3 sales once the Y begins to be delivered to customers.

4. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

OMG no, somebody stop him!

5. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Personally im keeping my fingers crossed for a wagon style of vehicle. 7 seater would definitely be a plus.

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I do hope the 3rd row possibility is false information. I do NOT want to see the MY share much in common with the Mazda 5, and that's essentially the only way they can squeeze a 3rd row in there.

[​IMG]

Even if you give it performance, it's still going to be uninspiring.

7. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

The Kia rondo before their current redesign is also like the Mazda. 7 seats in a small body. The kia has normal doors not sliding ones though. Kinda ugly if you ask me the Kia design that is. If Kia and Mazda can do seven seats in such a small vehicle so can Tesla... Obviously better looking though

• Like x 1
  8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

[​IMG]

• Like x 9
    • Love x 7
  9. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Yes!! I would do a lot of bad things for this

• Like x 1
  10. sirpurr89

sirpurr89 New Member

Nice photo but this looks more like a model 3 hatchback. Really looking for a compact or mid size SUV from Tesla and it's what I want for the model Y.

The third row gives me hope because it will force the vehicle to have a flat backside, allowing you to stack taller items.

As far as your photo, no reason why Tesla can't offer a hatchback version of the model 3 someday. I hope the Y is closer to a Jeep Cherokee in size. If the third row can fold flat, I am fine with it but it does seem tight. I have a model X now and find the third row usable but tight and can't imagine how snug it would be on the model Y platform.

• Like x 3
  11. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

Twice in Musk's recent interview with Kara Swisher at Recode, he referred to the Model Y as a, "midsize SUV".

12. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Just beat the top ten

Source: https://www.carmax.com/articles/best-midsize-suv-ranking

10 Best Midsize SUVs for 2018: Ranked
    PUBLISHED TUESDAY, MAY 1, 2018
    Space and comfort abound in these top-selling midsize SUVs.
    [​IMG]

When you're in the market for an SUV, you've got no shortage of options. From smaller compact SUVs, to full-size options and everything in between. For those looking for an SUV that's not too big and not too small, a midsize sports utility vehicle can be a wise choice. And since nearly every major vehicle manufacturer has their own mid-size SUV option, you have plenty of makes and models to choose from.

There are many benefits to choosing a midsize SUV over a compact, crossover, or even a full-size option. A midsize SUV offers the ideal balance of passenger space, cargo storage, towing capabilities, and easy maneuverability. They can offer more leg and head room for adult passengers than some crossover SUVs. And if you're looking for a little help in selecting the midsize SUV that's right for your next vehicle purchase, we've got you covered.

We've compiled this list of the best midsize SUVs of 2018 based on CarMax sales data collected between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.

1. Ford Explorer
      [​IMG]
    2. Jeep Grand Cherokee
      [​IMG]
    3. Kia Sorento
      [​IMG]
    4. Dodge Journey
      [​IMG]
    5. Nissan Pathfinder
      [​IMG]
    6. Chevrolet Traverse
      [​IMG]
    7. Ford Edge
      [​IMG]
    8. Honda Pilot
      [​IMG]
    9. Nissan Murano
      [​IMG]
    10. Toyota Highlander
      [​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. 9114s

9114s Member

These are ugly! it should not be too difficult for TESLA to built a better looking efficient vehicle.

• Like x 4
  14. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

I can't imagine the MY would be 3 row - they already have that with the MX. People are clamoring for an electric cute-ute like the CRX or RAV4. Assuming it's based on the M3 chassis, that's about what we'll get.

15. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Remember the previous generation Toyota RAV4 had an optional 3rd row.

8D1E040D-B09A-40F5-8A6A-EA1D3603BEA8.jpeg

• Like x 1
  16. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Elon said 7, Elon gets 7..... That's it.

• Like x 2
  17. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

Why do you think Toyota got rid of that 3rd row?

Similar question - why did Tesla get rid of the 3rd row option on the Model S?

18. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

As I quickly scrolled by, I thought this was a joke post where somebody had used the same car for the exterior shots, but just used different colors.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Don’t know about Toyota but Tesla got rid of the 3rd row option to simplify production and drive people towards the 7 seat Model X.

20. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Elon also said it was getting falcon wing doors