TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by 11thIndian, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I hope not... give me a utility vehicle and same that expense for big battery or more cargo volume. I'm thinking the 1991 Isuzu Trooper (Holden Jackaroo) specs, 117 cubic feet of cargo space would be nice on a BEV powertrain.

2. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

So long ago, and so much change has occurred since that tweet. It will be utterly remarkable to me if the most premium and distinctive feature of the Model X makes its way into the Model Y. That has to be the first thing to go!

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  3. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

Absolutely in love with that shooting brake Model 3

• Like x 3
  4. Sean Wagner

Sean Wagner Member

This is the body style Europe truly craves, apart from the Model Y.

5. Xenoilphobe

I don't want a bloated wanna be CUV (Cute Utility Vehicle) either, this sport wagon is perfect!

You can also keep those "premium X features too", like the FWD's. Give me convention doors, if it has FWD's it won't be in our driveway, hell I would take sliding van doors over FWD's, not sure what else is premium on the X, but the price and depreciation.... never been of fan...they missed the mark for me.

There won't be a sport wagon cause in a 'Merica that won't sell to the soccer mommies who might accidentally drive over a concrete parking stop.

• Like x 2
  6. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

Guys, this is simple. Tesla will target the BMW X3 just as they targeted the 3 series for the Model 3.
    The bar is actually pretty low for this one. Tesla will destroy them. And that is BMWs bread and butter.

X3.JPG

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  7. Xenoilphobe

Yuck... another CUV... add that to the ugly mid-size list above... add FWD's and we gotta another freak...

• Disagree x 1
  8. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

No. I think Model Y will be sexy enough, offering MORE room , more storage space, better handling and acceleration, all for the same price as X3. Good times are coming.....

• Like x 1
  9. Xenoilphobe

I hope you are right, this would be an improvement over the X. I so wanted to love the X, but both my wife and I could not get over the weird Buick Rendezvous or Pontiac Aztek look.
    Please don't weird it out like all these top ten uglies....
    [​IMG]

10. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Maybe it's just me, but do you think Business Insider publishes everything they receive, without any vetting?

• Like x 1
  11. timpierc

timpierc Member

If they make the Model Y with third row they have a customer in me. Third kid is on the way, and it's going to be a tight squeeze in my Leaf when number 3 arrives. I've already got the Pacifica Hybrid, so I don't want another. I just need an A to B car, and the Model Y would fit nicely into that niche of dropping kids off at daycare/school and going to work.

Seriously I wish Nissan would have brough their ENV-2000 van, or Mercedes their electric vans to the US by now. I would have just bought one of those.

• Like x 1
  12. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Member

Have an X and just got a Chevy Bolt as a second car because the Model 3 is too low to get into for me. Only had the Bolt a few days but find it to be a well built and easy to use car. I would buy a Y to replace the X. The X is a great car but too large for us. I bought it because it was the only EV I could get into easily and could drive across country. I do not need falcon doors, which are a pain in the garage. No not a need 7 passenger vehicle.

• Like x 1
  13. laserglow84

laserglow84 Member

Hate the color.

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. forkee

forkee Member

Model X is already a mid size SUV. Model Y is definitely going to be a smaller CUV. There is hardly room in the X for the 3rd row. There definitely won't be room in the Y for it.

I think the Y is going to be marketed towards those wanting the 3 but wishing it was taller for more headroom (but that's about it), hence the crossover crowd. Size wise it will probably be like the HRV or C-HR, maybe a little bit bigger. Just like the 3 is to the S, it will be the smaller sibling to the X.

15. vickh

vickh Active Member

so what's the ETA? I might just buy and "flip" my M3 and get the MY.

• Disagree x 1
  16. vickh

vickh Active Member

The RAV4 had a *tiny* third row. Rare option like the MS. I'm actually debating a good deal on the CPO MS 3rd row vs M3 new

17. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

According to these document which Tesla are calling "outdated", Model Y would start production in Q2 2020 (June'ish), and ramp as fast as they can ramp thru the end of the year. The optimistic estimate here is 7,000/wk by the end of the year.

We won't get anything official until the March unveiling.

18. vickh

vickh Active Member

19. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

20. electracity

electracity Active Member

#40 electracity, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    The model 3 already has some Swedish flair.

The Argument that the model Y will be made in Lathrop is pretty good. Stamping in Fremont.

Trucks do a loop Sparks --> Fremont --> Lathrop