Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rain-prisk-tesla-model31.jpg

This is the body style Europe truly craves, apart from the Model Y.

This is the body style Europe truly craves, apart from the Model Y.

I don't want a bloated wanna be CUV (Cute Utility Vehicle) either, this sport wagon is perfect!

You can also keep those "premium X features too", like the FWD's. Give me convention doors, if it has FWD's it won't be in our driveway, hell I would take sliding van doors over FWD's, not sure what else is premium on the X, but the price and depreciation.... never been of fan...they missed the mark for me.

There won't be a sport wagon cause in a 'Merica that won't sell to the soccer mommies who might accidentally drive over a concrete parking stop.

Reactions: TT97 and kavyboy
No. I think Model Y will be sexy enough, offering MORE room , more storage space, better handling and acceleration, all for the same price as X3. Good times are coming.....
I hope you are right, this would be an improvement over the X. I so wanted to love the X, but both my wife and I could not get over the weird Buick Rendezvous or Pontiac Aztek look.
Please don't weird it out like all these top ten uglies....
2005-pontiac-aztek-3.jpg

If they make the Model Y with third row they have a customer in me. Third kid is on the way, and it's going to be a tight squeeze in my Leaf when number 3 arrives. I've already got the Pacifica Hybrid, so I don't want another. I just need an A to B car, and the Model Y would fit nicely into that niche of dropping kids off at daycare/school and going to work.

Seriously I wish Nissan would have brough their ENV-2000 van, or Mercedes their electric vans to the US by now. I would have just bought one of those.

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Have an X and just got a Chevy Bolt as a second car because the Model 3 is too low to get into for me. Only had the Bolt a few days but find it to be a well built and easy to use car. I would buy a Y to replace the X. The X is a great car but too large for us. I bought it because it was the only EV I could get into easily and could drive across country. I do not need falcon doors, which are a pain in the garage. No not a need 7 passenger vehicle.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Model X is already a mid size SUV. Model Y is definitely going to be a smaller CUV. There is hardly room in the X for the 3rd row. There definitely won't be room in the Y for it.

I think the Y is going to be marketed towards those wanting the 3 but wishing it was taller for more headroom (but that's about it), hence the crossover crowd. Size wise it will probably be like the HRV or C-HR, maybe a little bit bigger. Just like the 3 is to the S, it will be the smaller sibling to the X.

so what's the ETA? I might just buy and "flip" my M3 and get the MY.

According to these document which Tesla are calling "outdated", Model Y would start production in Q2 2020 (June'ish), and ramp as fast as they can ramp thru the end of the year. The optimistic estimate here is 7,000/wk by the end of the year.

We won't get anything official until the March unveiling.