Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wonder if they'll talk about production dates as well. Q1 2020?

I dunno. I tend to think if they have any "surprises" (they'll be able to get rolling sooner than expected) regarding production dates, they'll probably hold those for the event itself. Maybe production location? But I could see them holding that for the unveiling as well...

Beyond an unveiling date, it will be interesting to see if they want to share ANY additional Model Y details being this close to an event.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
wonder if they'll firm up production dates as well. hoping for Q2 2020?

I don't know exactly what their thinking is, but keep in mind that they are opening this factory in China apparently with a primary purpose of selling to the Chinese market. So I'm not sure what to expect in the way of a US introduction. This will be an overseas market at that point and I'm thinking it will be sometime after the initial introduction to the Chinese market.

From what I've read, rather than being a Model Y factory, this will be a multiple model factory with an emphasis on the Y. So they may start shipping model 3s from there before the model Y is out. I don't recall if they have said this or not.

I don't know exactly what their thinking is, but keep in mind that they are opening this factory in China apparently with a primary purpose of selling to the Chinese market. So I'm not sure what to expect in the way of a US introduction. This will be an overseas market at that point and I'm thinking it will be sometime after the initial introduction to the Chinese market.

From what I've read, rather than being a Model Y factory, this will be a multiple model factory with an emphasis on the Y. So they may start shipping model 3s from there before the model Y is out. I don't recall if they have said this or not.

Tesla has stated that China GF3 is for production of lower cost variants of Model 3 and Model Y for the China and surrounding market. Higher end models (whatever that means- though it almost certainly means performance for sure) will be built in N.A and shipped there.

I cannot imagine any scenario where Tesla starts manufacture of Model Y in China before the US.

We're really quite in the dark about the Model Y at this point. Between tomorrows Q4 call and (hopefully) next month's unveiling we need to learn the "WHAT" (what it looks like and costs), the "WHERE" (where it will be manufactured), and "WHEN" (when they plan to start deliveries/manufacturing more specifically than "2020")

Tesla has stated that China GF3 is for production of lower cost variants of Model 3 and Model Y for the China and surrounding market. Higher end models (whatever that means- though it almost certainly means performance for sure) will be built in N.A and shipped there.

I cannot imagine any scenario where Tesla starts manufacture of Model Y in China before the US.

We're really quite in the dark about the Model Y at this point. Between tomorrows Q4 call and (hopefully) next month's unveiling we need to learn the "WHAT" (what it looks like and costs), the "WHERE" (where it will be manufactured), and "WHEN" (when they plan to start deliveries/manufacturing more specifically than "2020")

Ok. I hadn't seen those caveats. So if Tesla hasn't even started building a factory in North America yet, it seems hard to believe that they would have cars shipping from a new factory by Q2 2020.

"That makes no sense to me."

I'm just quoting the article. At least they didn't say it might be made in Fremont. lol

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
So remaining 24% that must be altered.
Chassis
Panels
Glass
Seats
Interior except dashboard

Not much room for manoeuvre!
It's not 76% of parts by volume. There are so many parts that make up the drivetrain, locking mechanisms, and power electronics that they number in the thousands, while the seats, BIW, glass number in the 10s.
I do think this is going to make the Model Y a very easy car to "get right"

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It's not 76% of parts by volume. There are so many parts that make up the drivetrain, locking mechanisms, and power electronics that they number in the thousands, while the seats, BIW, glass number in the 10s.
I do think this is going to make the Model Y a very easy car to "get right"

First, please explain what BIW means. A google search didn't clarify.

While it would seem logical that Tesla should do a better job with each car they bring to production, the reality is that they don't. They always think this time it will be easy and there is always something to bollix up the works. Since none of us are on the design team, we won't know until they are making the cars if they have done a good job of preventing problems or if Musk has dictated things (like falcon wing doors) that are likely to create problems for a high volume production car company.

Then I will say, the body seems to be the biggest difference from the 3. There has been criticism of the body design which some say makes the car more expensive to manufacture than it should. This is something Tesla has to get right if they are going to become a properly profitable company. Profit of only $139 million on revenue of over $7 billion is not going to let them do the things they are saying they will do.

With volume model Y production being almost two years out they have time to get a factory up and humming, but if they aren't making the model Y in volume (meaning something around 5k per week) I won't be surprised. I think Wall street might and hit them hard. At some point the "innovator" and "disruptor" labels won't buy them forgiveness they have received in the past. It will simply become a matter of delivering on their plans.

First, please explain what BIW means. A google search didn't clarify.

While it would seem logical that Tesla should do a better job with each car they bring to production, the reality is that they don't. They always think this time it will be easy and there is always something to bollix up the works. Since none of us are on the design team, we won't know until they are making the cars if they have done a good job of preventing problems or if Musk has dictated things (like falcon wing doors) that are likely to create problems for a high volume production car company.

Then I will say, the body seems to be the biggest difference from the 3. There has been criticism of the body design which some say makes the car more expensive to manufacture than it should. This is something Tesla has to get right if they are going to become a properly profitable company. Profit of only $139 million on revenue of over $7 billion is not going to let them do the things they are saying they will do.

With volume model Y production being almost two years out they have time to get a factory up and humming, but if they aren't making the model Y in volume (meaning something around 5k per week) I won't be surprised. I think Wall street might and hit them hard. At some point the "innovator" and "disruptor" labels won't buy them forgiveness they have received in the past. It will simply become a matter of delivering on their plans.
BIW = Body in White Body in white - Wikipedia

I saw that, but that isn't really a part. It's an assembly. That's why the model 3 received some criticism on cost. They used a lot more components to create the body that is normally done. So the 10's number just increased to the high 10's. Even things like seats are assemblies. If you are going to count the electronics and drive line by internal components of each assembly, then why not do that for all the assemblies in the car?