Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Frunk Close Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opened my frunk on my 4-day old MYLR and it would not latch closed. After dropping it down on the initial catch, using the “hands on each side of the T”, I could easily push it down flush as it should be, but it would not latch. I had to use the app to reopen and try again, at least 20 times. Tried the scroll wheel reboot, no help. I was about 30 miles from home and decided to just drive home, but the Y would only go 15 mph. I called Tesla. They had no idea. I tried one more time while on the phone with them and thankfully, it latched. However, the service people on the phone had no idea why or what happened. Anybody else ever have this problem? Now I have a car I can’t trust. I am going to open/close the frunk a lot, only when I am home, and have it towed to Tesla next time this happens. And deal with Tesla no loaner/no Uber policy.

I took delivery of a Y from Austin in late September that had a similar issue. It would latch but required very firm pressure to do so. It left an indentation in the hood on day 1! I opened a service ticket and they were great about inspecting and noting that it didn't meet specifications. They found a factory defect in one of the panels and sent the car to the body shop. That was two weeks ago. Hopefully I'll get it back this week. Tesla has been very good from a customer service standpoint.