Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y has version 2020.47.104

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY7 owner (she’s 1 day old and I love her).

1 - does naming the car matter? or is it just a quirky Tesla thing?

2 - how do I find out what the changes will be on software updates?
Welcome!

1: Just a quirky Tesla thing. Maybe important if you have more than one of the exact same model/color to distinguish in the app?

2: You'll get a prompt to install (it will take the car out of commission for ~20min). First time in the car it will display all the updated items by exemption. Since theres such a leap in the current, and the next one, you may want to dig through previous versions to catch up.

New MY7 owner (she’s 1 day old and I love her).

1 - does naming the car matter? or is it just a quirky Tesla thing?

2 - how do I find out what the changes will be on software updates?
For 1 like my phone it's all about distinguishing it somewhere. Like on my router. But also it can be fun.
2. The car will tell you what changes were on the update it has installed I believe, for incoming changes I rely on these forums and reddit

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Interesting theory no doubt.
Just looked at the TeslaFi fleet information.

• It seems (for MY) that this version is present on VIN starting 131XXX to present day VIN 161XXX. The majority upwards of 140XXX.
  • The associated dates seem to range from 3/21 through 4/2 (this is the date the SW was installed, which could have been factory)
  • There are a total of 35 MY LR and 3 MYP listed.
  • Curiously there are also 51 M3 listed on this version. In both cases the bulk seems to be in California, but that is likely an existing sales bias.
  • Almost all listed cars for this version have less than 1,200 mi on the lock, many of them a lot less.
  • There are some MY in the same VIN range that have a newer version, but I cannot see what they had before.
  • Many other MY with newer versions have VINs from before this range, even though many are < 1,000 mi, the majority of these seem to be on the East coast or thereabouts.
All this leads me to the conclusion that this version seems to be "stuck" to more recently manufactured cars (approx in the mid-March to now timeframe). This does not dispel the two theories I've seen:
  1. New card feature/hardware that is purposefully not (yet) exposed by delaying upgrades, or
  2. All these cars are new enough that they are simply waiting for the bi-weekly update.
Mine is almost two weeks old (Sunday) so we'll see.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82

• It seems (for MY) that this version is present on VIN starting 131XXX to present day VIN 161XXX. The majority upwards of 140XXX.
  • The associated dates seem to range from 3/21 through 4/2 (this is the date the SW was installed, which could have been factory)
  • Curiously there are also 51 M3 listed on this version. In both cases the bulk seems to be in California, but that is likely an existing sales bias.
  • Almost all listed cars for this version have less than 1,200 mi on the lock, many of them a lot less.
  • There are some MY in the same VIN range that have a newer version, but I cannot see what they had before.
  • Many other MY with newer versions have VINs from before this range, even though many are < 1,000 mi, the majority of these seem to be on the East coast or thereabouts.
All this leads me to the conclusion that this version seems to be "stuck" to more recently manufactured cars (approx in the mid-March to now timeframe). This does not dispel the two theories I've seen:
  1. New card feature/hardware that is purposefully not (yet) exposed by delaying upgrades, or
  2. All these cars are new enough that they are simply waiting for the bi-weekly update.
This is a great compilation of data. Thank you. I was looking at Teslafi earlier this evening and came to the same conclusion.
What really bothers me is that if you aren’t an FSD customer, you seem to get the last string on updates.
I don’t understand how another owner (somewhere in this thread) mentioned that he/she took delivery on 3/25 and got 2021.8 an hour after. Like wtf?

This is a great compilation of data. Thank you. I was looking at Teslafi earlier this evening and came to the same conclusion.
What really bothers me is that if you aren’t an FSD customer, you seem to get the last string on updates.
I don’t understand how another owner (somewhere in this thread) mentioned that he/she took delivery on 3/25 and got 2021.8 an hour after. Like wtf?
Well, perhaps depends on that person's vin. Delivery is not the same as manufacturing date. If it was an older VIN the two weeks before update might have already expired?

Also it shows that 73% were downgraded from a newer version (2021.12) if I read this correctly

keep us updated

I noticed no one is complaining in the Model 3 forum. That lends credence to the theory that there is something in the latest Model Y deliveries that the software is not ready for.
I picked up a Model 3 LR AWD on March 26 and I’m still on 2020.47.104 so it's not just Model Y's that are stuck in update purgatory. Came over here because seemed pointless to start another thread. I’ll keep you posted if I get moved to 2021 versioning with my M3

For reference I have FSD and am locked into this. It'd be so worth it if we have some hidden features. But that seems unlikely. I think my two weeks is Wednesday.
Otherwise still no dice

We picked up or MY 7 seater on 3/25 and had the mobile ranger install the homelink on 3/31. I asked about the software version then and he said 2020.47.104 was the latest available for my car per the system (saw that he logged on and tried something after selecting my vin). Guess it’s just wait and see for now.

It’s highly unlikely new features. The version we are on (same here I took delivery 03/31) was the version prior to the holiday update UI changes that have not been well welcome (wider car visualization), I wonder if that with v11 on the horizon as soon as MS and MX start making deliveries if we are stuck in this version until v11 comes out.

It’s highly unlikely new features. The version we are on (same here I took delivery 03/31) was the version prior to the holiday update UI changes that have not been well welcome (wider car visualization), I wonder if that with v11 on the horizon as soon as MS and MX start making deliveries if we are stuck in this version until v11 comes out.
This is my theory for a while now. From Tesla POV, they might as well hold us back until v11 so we don’t get “confused” with multiple UI updates.

Reactions: PNW_Y