Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y, my paint just washed off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never heard of a paint issue as extreme as this. One month ago I took delivery of my model Y. After driving it around without issues, it was time for its first car wash.

Took it to the Sams club touchless car wash (just water and soap, no touch). I’ve taken my mustang there for years. Afterwards I look it over and it looks like the black paint around the window has just washed off. There is even some visible blue paint underneath it! Picture attached. Is this a known issue or am I the lucky one? It is worth noting that I have not put any products on the car at all. This is simply the first car wash after delivery a month ago.

Attachments

• 1749EAEA-8CD4-4713-995E-8FA821547030.jpeg
    1749EAEA-8CD4-4713-995E-8FA821547030.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 893
  • 2BA000EE-AA7F-40EE-8488-6A4D2F32191B.jpeg
    2BA000EE-AA7F-40EE-8488-6A4D2F32191B.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 714
  • CB8A724F-DA3B-4C14-B1EA-27944620B62F.jpeg
    CB8A724F-DA3B-4C14-B1EA-27944620B62F.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FamilYLR
Eh I dunno man. Most people are talking about discoloration and rainbow effects. It looks like my trim literally washed off (see first picture). I can see blue paint below it.

I plan to have this car a long time (10+ years), so I don’t really want to be worried about who washes it with what. I’m thinking that having Tesla replace the window trim paint isn’t the way to go, considering that.

Maybe I can have a body shop replace it with something that isn’t gonna wash away.

Eh I dunno man. Most people are talking about discoloration and rainbow effects. It looks like my trim literally washed off (see first picture). I can see blue paint below it.

I plan to have this car a long time (10+ years), so I don’t really want to be worried about who washes it with what. I’m thinking that having Tesla replace the window trim paint isn’t the way to go, considering that.

Maybe I can have a body shop replace it with something that isn’t gonna wash away.
Nothing washed away and that is not blue paint. The trim is not painted the body color. It’s discoloration/rainbowing. Get back to black or a trim restoration of some sort. Also, see other threads for more info.

Spray it with plastidip and you won’t have the problem anymore. Easy diy and not permanent. You could try applying a ceramic coat after you get it correct it to give it a barrier so it prevents it from happening again. I did my whole car with one from Amazon for $21.

Spray it with plastidip and you won’t have the problem anymore. Easy diy and not permanent. You could try applying a ceramic coat after you get it correct it to give it a barrier so it prevents it from happening again. I did my whole car with one from Amazon for $21.

Don’t plastidip it. It will fade over time.

Wrap it or just use a ceramic sealant.

Reactions: 101dals
I’ve never heard of a paint issue as extreme as this. One month ago I took delivery of my model Y. After driving it around without issues, it was time for its first car wash.

Took it to the Sams club touchless car wash (just water and soap, no touch). I’ve taken my mustang there for years. Afterwards I look it over and it looks like the black paint around the window has just washed off. There is even some visible blue paint underneath it! Picture attached. Is this a known issue or am I the lucky one? It is worth noting that I have not put any products on the car at all. This is simply the first car wash after delivery a month ago.
I used the Weiman Stainless Steel Cleaner Amazon.com (as mentioned in another post) and applied it with a microfiber cloth. The trim immediately looked like it was when new.

Reactions: Silence88
I’ve had plastidip in a car for a couple years and no fading. If it does fade you can reapply.

OP:
Go on Amazon and look up ceramic. there’s plenty $80 and way less. Mine costs $21

I’ve also used plastidip and it turned grey for me. Attracts dust like crazy.

That made me never use it again, but it is by far going to be the cheapest solution. Personally I would just spend money and do something once, these cars aren’t cheap anymore.

The best possible option is to PPF the trim.

The cheapest option is plastidip. But your mileage my vary on this one.

Or just don’t use automatic washes.