Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y - Nail in Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just notice a nail in the top of a tread of my new Model Y. Its a very slow leaker. Wanted some people's opinion to see if they though it was far enough away from the side wall where I could patch this myself. I got the 19" Continentals All-Seasons. I assume they have foam but I did do a patch once before on my Model 3 that had foam in the Michelin Primacy MXM4s. Held up for over 25,000 miles when I recently got new tires at the 46,000 miles. Thanks.
IMG_0638.jpg

A local shop would be best; the large tire retailers and tire shops are moreover refusing to repair tires with the foam insert.

If this tire puncture is on a front wheel you should be able to plug it yourself without having to remove the wheel.

That should be repairable. Anything past that line usually is not. I would not plug that tire. Take it to a tire shop that knows how to repair the foam filled tires. The proper way to fix this is with a patch plug system that requires dismounting the tire for the repair and remounting and rebalancing.

The tire can look perfectly good on the outside, but after you have a puncture the inside needs to be examined to make sure the tire is safe to continue rolling down the road.

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
A local shop would be best; the large tire retailers and tire shops are moreover refusing to repair tires with the foam insert.

If this tire puncture is on a front wheel you should be able to plug it yourself without having to remove the wheel.

Yes. It's also possible to plug a rear tire without removing it. I've done it. Move the car until you can get to the nail. It helps if you can pull up on an old piece of 2x6 or something similar, but that's not necessary.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That should be repairable. Anything past that line usually is not. I would not plug that tire. Take it to a tire shop that knows how to repair the foam filled tires. The proper way to fix this is with a patch plug system that requires dismounting the tire for the repair and remounting and rebalancing.

There is only a thin layer of foam. Cut out a piece of foam, patch the tire, glue the piece of foam back in. Good to go.