Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to surf. Can i surf with my key card and turn off/airplane mode my phone? Will the salt water degrade the RFID card over time? I’ve used water proof credit card holders in the past. But they always fail. Thanks in advance!

The card looks like a solid piece of plastic with no exposed metal. My gut is that it would be fine. That said, they are only $35, so you could experiment with it and see how it does. If the water kills the card (or you lose it), the out-of-pocket is minor.
I’m not worried about the cost of a replacement card, I’m worried about getting out of the water and having no access to my phone or the vehicle

Upvote 0
Yeah, my thought is experiment a few times with a backup plan (your phone) available. Then if it works a few times, you are probably good for a while. But, who knows if the hundredth time will hose you. Or, ideally another surfer who has been carrying their card for a few years will chime in.

Upvote 0
Id consider one of those very small zip loc bags. Card inside of there, with the ziploc inside of the waterproof case you speak of.
In 2022 hard to believe NO one makes a quality waterproof case that meets the need. Even if it only lets in a drop or two of water..that should be fine.

Upvote 0
Id consider one of those very small zip loc bags. Card inside of there, with the ziploc inside of the waterproof case you speak of.
In 2022 hard to believe NO one makes a quality waterproof case that meets the need. Even if it only lets in a drop or two of water..that should be fine.
Yes I’ve used those bags before… after a few uses they inevitably fail. I understand water won’t effect it right away but eventually. Hey Tesla @elonmusk my volvo has a waterproof sport key
0D9CA6A2-955E-4968-BE10-35A158AEC615.jpeg

Reactions: coleman567
Upvote 0
I believe Zack Nelson (JerryRigEverything on YouTube) took apart one of the cards at one point. There is not much in them - just a metal strip around the perimeter acting as an antenna and the RFID components (very small).

They are not exposed to the elements at all so unless something actually eats away at the plastic or the card snaps in half, I'm fairly sure it will be fine.

Reactions: CharlieMY
Upvote 0
I believe Zack Nelson (JerryRigEverything on YouTube) took apart one of the cards at one point. There is not much in them - just a metal strip around the perimeter acting as an antenna and the RFID components (very small).

They are not exposed to the elements at all so unless something actually eats away at the plastic or the card snaps in half, I'm fairly sure it will be fine

They are not exposed to the elements at all so unless something actually eats away at the plastic or the card snaps in half, I'm fairly sure it will be fine.
I saw that video as well.
If you are up for a DIY project, you can make your own surfing fob (but I still maintain the original key card will be more durable.)

I saw that video… it’s ridiculous.. so easy to mess it up and throw away $35.00 . Also he’s HOPING the clear spray he puts on top keeps out water… sorry but no way that will last
How about putting it in a ziplock sandwich bag?
ziplock isn’t water tight

Upvote 0
Here's a replacement that can be keycarded so you can carry it on any occasion and, importantly, it's waterproof. It will solve your problem very well.
Click order:

Upvote 0