Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Performance, No Ryzen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you'll never see any difference.
why is it that 2 years' worth of Users never complained?

AMD was the 2nd tier player - Intel was lower power draw and won the initial contract.
Then Intel couldn't keep up supplies and Tesla went back to AMD.

Once that decision was made, Tesla (China) posted videos purporting to show AMD was faster. Well.....not that much.
Note that you then began to see postings about battery charge going down faster on the Ryzen cars.

Really, this all minutiae. The car works the same way using either MCU proc.
They didn’t “go back” … they evolved and started using a faster chip. Stop relaying misleading information. 🤦🏻‍♂️

As an engineer I see some value in having a tried and proven design with the Intel Atom (which I received). It has been deployed in the hundreds of thousands. The kinks have been worked out.
A good example here is the heat pump. Everybody wanted it but it took a few months for the cold weather issues to be discovered. Meanwhile, the resistive heater was working fine (minus the range loss).
I haven't checked whether I have a 12v Lithium but I expect similar teething pains.
Everybody wants the latest... until the problems are discovered...

No, Intel couldn't deliver. That was the motivation, not 'improvement'.
Once the change was made, the hype began.
It’s the same chip as the refresh S/X. It’s objectively better. They may have made the switch on the cheaper cars because of supply constraints, or they may have made the switch to unify the product line. My guess would be the latter. Either way it’s a superior product.

Reactions: mlambert890
It’s the same chip as the refresh S/X. It’s objectively better. They may have made the switch on the cheaper cars because of supply constraints, or they may have made the switch to unify the product line. My guess would be the latter. Either way it’s a superior product.
Eye of the Beholder.
Price, performance, power requirements, size, availability, price (again), are all factors in play.
No one outside Tesla knows the how when and why.
We just get the internet hype.

• Disagree
Eye of the Beholder.
Price, performance, power requirements, size, availability, price (again), are all factors in play.
There’s no question that performance is better. I don’t really care about the price if Tesla isn’t changing the price I pay. Power requirements are not going to impact range. I’m not convinced either part is particularly supply constrained.

There’s no question that performance is better. I don’t really care about the price if Tesla isn’t changing the price I pay. Power requirements are not going to impact range. I’m not convinced either part is particularly supply constrained.
Tesla did change the price you pay.
The vehicle price went up $7000 in 2021.
Power requirements are reported as effecting range.

But we're arguing over minutiae. None of this matters. Done!

I dont understand how anyone could argue that it's perfectly fine for two people to pay the exact same amount for a Model Y, but one gets the brand new, significantly more powerful MCU, which really is the heart of the car, while the other person gets the end of life one. It's insane to argue that this is ok. Especially since it's almost a given that we will soon be looking at Ryzen only updates to the car, just like they've already started to do with the "refresh only" updates for the Model S/X. The person who got the Intel 2022 Model Y is starting out near end of life. This will absolutely impact resale value down the line. Tesla doesn't change the MCU that often, and the brand new, far superior, module will always be that much better than the one it replaces. Why would anyone in the future buy the last of the Intel based 2022 Model Ys unless it was at a steep discount? Again, this is total BS and it's kind of shocking there are people here actually willing to defend it. I've got a Model Y supposedly coming in May. If its not Ryzen based I'm not accepting it. No one should unless it is discounted. "You're getting what you paid for" is a ridiculous answer, but even if someone goes with this warped logic, then the person who won "Model Y lotto" is getting what? More than they paid for? OK, so why would anyone accept the short straw?

Reactions: thesmokingman
you'll never see any difference.
why is it that 2 years' worth of Users never complained?

AMD was the 2nd tier player - Intel was lower power draw and won the initial contract.
Then Intel couldn't keep up supplies and Tesla went back to AMD.

Once that decision was made, Tesla (China) posted videos purporting to show AMD was faster. Well.....not that much.
Note that you then began to see postings about battery charge going down faster on the Ryzen cars.

Really, this all minutiae. The car works the same way using either MCU proc.
Wrong. The Atom has always been crap. Back then AMD wasn't so great just yet on their transition back to the top of x86 or should I say AMD64 aka x64? The Ryzen cpu in the Tesla MCU is only Zen 1, but it's still gobs faster and more efficient that the craptastic Atom. Zen 1 with two NAVI gpus on current generation TSMC, you are high if you think its not orders better than the Atom.

Tesla did change the price you pay.
The vehicle price went up $7000 in 2021.
Power requirements are reported as effecting range.

But we're arguing over minutiae. None of this matters. Done!
It does matter. I'm selling my 9/21 MYP for a 3/22 MYP only for the Ryzen chip. The A/S tires would be an additional plus.

I don't agree that the average buyer will notice though.

Eye of the Beholder.

Then why are you spewing misinformation as truth if nobody knows??

The Ryzen chip was implemented in Palladium S/X cars because of the 15” screen and Elon promising PS5 rivaling gameplay and the ability to play Cyberpunk in-vehicle.

Obviously it makes sense to simplify the production line and bless the lower and end cars with Ryzen also, it’s newer and better in every way.

I do feel bad for OP, but Tesla is a dice roll. In two months when all the cars have Ryzen people will be sad they don’t get 4680 battery structures. This has happened forever with Tesla. (Heated Steering Wheel was another one, USB C was another).

A few years from now they will notice. The same way I noticed when my iPhone 5 struggled to run the latest iOS, and then didn’t accept any more updates as if frozen in time.
A few years from now these cars will be like old PC's. Obsolete.
But it won't be because of the stupid MCU. It'll be batteries, motors, improved quality.
Oh, and the proc necessary to run FSD will have been replaced yet again.

Last edited:
Wrong. The Atom has always been crap. Back then AMD wasn't so great just yet on their transition back to the top of x86 or should I say AMD64 aka x64? The Ryzen cpu in the Tesla MCU is only Zen 1, but it's still gobs faster and more efficient that the craptastic Atom. Zen 1 with two NAVI gpus on current generation TSMC, you are high if you think its not orders better than the Atom.
Sorry, as a tech engr professional, the stupid Media Control Unit proc is just a passing fad. There will be another, then another....
The User interface it manages is minutiae compared to the primary systems running the car. It's a minor player.
And by the time it does matter, the ground will have shifted anyway and you'll be driving something else. Are you still using an iPhone 8 ? Didn't think so.
Worry about when FSD will require more proc horsepower. That will determine obsolescence.

Don't plan on 10 years in your Tesla. It's a PC.

Last edited:
Sorry, as a tech engr professional, the stupid Media Control Unit proc is just a passing fad. There will be another, then another....
The User interface it manages is minutiae compared to the primary systems running the car. It's a minor player.
And by the time it does matter, the ground will have shifted anyway and you'll be driving something else. Are you still using an iPhone 8 ? Didn't think so.
Worry about when FSD will require more proc horsepower. That will determine obsolescence.

Don't plan on 10 years in your Tesla. It's a PC.
So today’s Teslas are a flash in the pan that will be obsolete in a few years? Why the heck am I even considering spending $60K on a car that will soon be useless? I have a 10 year old Subaru Outback that is still going strong, and I plan to keep it for another 10 as long as it keeps running. Best car I’ve ever owned, and it sounds like I’ll keep driving it long after my Y is relegated to the dustbin of yesterday’s tech, just like my old Palm Pilot. I thought these Teslas had the promise to last a million miles. Boy have I been mislead.

The reason the AMD processor matters to me is that I will be able to receive OTA updates for years after the Intel is no longer supported. Because I DO plan to keep my Y for the next decade. If my horizon were only a few years, I suppose my calculus would be a bit different.

So today’s Teslas are a flash in the pan that will be obsolete in a few years? Why the heck am I even considering spending $60K on a car that will soon be useless? I have a 10 year old Subaru Outback that is still going strong, and I plan to keep it for another 10 as long as it keeps running. Best car I’ve ever owned, and it sounds like I’ll keep driving it long after my Y is relegated to the dustbin of yesterday’s tech, just like my old Palm Pilot. I thought these Teslas had the promise to last a million miles. Boy have I been mislead.

The reason the AMD processor matters to me is that I will be able to receive OTA updates for years after the Intel is no longer supported. Because I DO plan to keep my Y for the next decade. If my horizon were only a few years, I suppose my calculus would be a bit different.
It will still work just fine, just like older PC's do.
But the internet will make you feel guilty, just like not owning the latest iPhone.

Both the Intel Atom and the AMD Ryzen perform virtually the same instruction set, they're x86 family. The kernels are compatible too. Updates won't be an issue.

Last edited: