Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Performance, No Ryzen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no analogy that can satisfy all nits to be picked. And this is about the MY, not the MS.
Neither of us know what material differences exist between those two platforms.

The bottom line is there's no material difference to the MY car and it's operation whether the MCU is an AMD Ryzan or an Intel Atom.
This is all much ado about nothing, with tribes now formed based on little more than internet blog hype.

Anyone with any true technical comprehension would recognize this, but it's now at the hands of keyboard cops.
I currently have both an Atom and a Ryzen Model Y. There is a significant difference. I notice it every time I use the turn signal, look at the map while driving, and put the car in reverse.

Good analogy, but I would modify it. It is more like if Apple were to deliver some iPhone 13s with the A15, and others with the A11. And then when some users point out the ridiculousness of this on an Apple forum, some fanboy claps back that these phones are exactly the same because they both make phone calls and run the same apps.
A more fitting analogy would be Samsung's S22 phones. The phones will have either a Snapdragon or their own Exynos processor depending on the market, but they are all called the S22 and cost the same (adjusted for local market). The Snapdragon version is better in basically every single way.

Someone could argue they both do the same smartphone things, just one of them is considerably worse. If there is a way for the local market to choose which processor goes into the phone, why wouldn't you choose the better one?

Definitely an interesting discussion - another example of what we get to “enjoy” by driving a Tesla that we don’t get with a traditional car manufacturer.

Picked up my MYP just before Christmas so obviously missed out on the Ryzen and the other new goodies. I do like to have the latest and greatest so wish I had the Ryzen instead of the Atom, but it is what it is and I would not have delayed in hopes of getting the new chip. As we all know, if you do that you will be delaying forever with regular changes by Tesla.

This is a bit different given that the chip powers the infotainment system so I can see how people feel cheated paying the same price for inferior technology. It doesn’t really bother me as I don’t really play games or watch content, etc in the car. And coming from an M3 stealth it functions exactly how I’m used to.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens going forward as new features are introduced and can definitely see how the Atom could be left behind, but I think that is a ways down the road.

I also don’t tend to keep cars for more than a couple years which is another reason I’m not terribly bothered by missing out. For someone that does keep their car for a long time, I can certainly understand how they would be pissed.

I don’t see how anyone argues they wouldn’t want the new chip as there are clear advantages but it hasn’t changed my enjoyment of the car in the least. I drive a rental while traveling most weeks, so I’m just happy to get home and drive my P, with or without the latest chip.

Definitely an interesting discussion - another example of what we get to “enjoy” by driving a Tesla that we don’t get with a traditional car manufacturer.

Picked up my MYP just before Christmas so obviously missed out on the Ryzen and the other new goodies. I do like to have the latest and greatest so wish I had the Ryzen instead of the Atom, but it is what it is and I would not have delayed in hopes of getting the new chip. As we all know, if you do that you will be delaying forever with regular changes by Tesla.

This is a bit different given that the chip powers the infotainment system so I can see how people feel cheated paying the same price for inferior technology. It doesn’t really bother me as I don’t really play games or watch content, etc in the car. And coming from an M3 stealth it functions exactly how I’m used to.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens going forward as new features are introduced and can definitely see how the Atom could be left behind, but I think that is a ways down the road.

I also don’t tend to keep cars for more than a couple years which is another reason I’m not terribly bothered by missing out. For someone that does keep their car for a long time, I can certainly understand how they would be pissed.

I don’t see how anyone argues they wouldn’t want the new chip as there are clear advantages but it hasn’t changed my enjoyment of the car in the least. I drive a rental while traveling most weeks, so I’m just happy to get home and drive my P, with or without the latest chip.
This is the most reasonable post in this thread. I agree with everything you said. Thank you.

Reactions: whatthe2
Can you provide more details on this?
Most of it has to do with how long it takes for the UI takes to display the image from the camera whether it's when I change lanes or am backing out of. a space. With the AMD it's noticeably faster. When changing lanes, it makes the sidepod cameras more useful. The Intel car's very slight hesitation to load the image means I'm already initiating the change before it shows anything useful.

After the V11 holiday update, the Intel car reverse camera would freeze/stutter. They fixed it with 2022.4.5 but this doesn't happen with the AMD car. The navigation map loads/clears new areas much faster. Those are just immediately noticeable differences hopping into the newer car. I'm sure I'll find more as I spend more time with the car.

To keep things in perspective though, those improvements aren't essential to driving. I don't depend on the sidepod cameras to change lanes and I'm not constantly staring at the map.

I created a new MCU comparison thread that where I can update the first page incrementally over time. Send or post a link to fill in any incomplete data.

I think that discussion is easier than the one about what features the MCU code base growth has limited in the past, which is in turn easier than speculating on what limits we’ll run into in the future.

I would argue that on MCU1, the web browser and voice commands suffered the most as the hardware aged and as the code base grew. But if you had functional dashcam and ran into corruption, that might be more important to you.

So as MCU2 ages, there is certainly a prescient for existing features degrading. And there will likely be new features for Ryzen that simply are cut from the Intel builds.

Last edited:
Anyone have the part numbers of the two chips? Raw specifications on their cache, threads, clock rate and power consumption options? The RAM amount, type and speed of the board? Then performance benchmarks on both CPU and GPU?

I think that discussion is easier than the one about what features the MCU code base growth has limited in the past, which is in turn easier than speculating on what limits we’ll run into in the future.

Here are a few resources:
Atom is an E3950. The Ryzen is marked YE180FC3T4MFG, which doesn't appear in AMD's catalog, but is likely similar to the AMD 1807B (which is marked YE1807C3T4MFB). As far as GPU, based on what the browser reports via WebGL, the Atom cars have an Intel HD Graphics 505, while the AMD cars have a Vega 1. However, the Ryzen cars do have a separate daughter board with a Navi23 GPU variant, but it seems like this isn't being used yet (probably will be used for high end games and such whenever Tesla gets around to selling / releasing those).

All in all, the AMD will be significantly faster, and the Navi23 is orders of magnitude faster than the Intel 505..

F373
AMD

how to check battery and the wiper?
Have you taken delivery? If so, open the frunk, pop the plastic cover nearest the windshield and the 12V should be right there. It will say Li-Ion like in my picture.
As for the wiper heater, I'm not sure how to physically check. May just have to wait until a 2022.x software update.

IMG_0253.jpeg

Reactions: canada
This thread is good and the analogy on the Samsung's S22 having 2 CPUs is similar to Tesla's case, but...
You don't really care about the Samsung's cpu because its a $700 phone and probably will get replaced within a year or so..
The Tesla most likely will not get replaced that soon and its a $70k vehicle to begin with, so yeah, having the newest tech is a significant concern.