Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model y range issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?

just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?
Is something wrong? No

Should you take it in to be looked at? Also no, unless you want to waste your time with tesla trying to explain to you why nothing is wrong.

For a VERY "TL ; DR" version, EPA range only applies under driving like the EPA test, which is like 42MPH. There is also a more battery use in the cold.

If you want more explanation than that, there are several threads here on the same topic, and I can also point you to a 185 page (page, not post) thread in the model 3 subforum that is on the same basic topic. To save you the time of looking at that, no, nothing is wrong.

Upvote 0
Is something wrong? No

Should you take it in to be looked at? Also no, unless you want to waste your time with tesla trying to explain to you why nothing is wrong.

For a VERY "TL ; DR" version, EPA range only applies under driving like the EPA test, which is like 42MPH. There is also a more battery use in the cold.

If you want more explanation than that, there are several threads here on the same topic, and I can also point you to a 185 page (page, not post) thread in the model 3 subforum that is on the same basic topic. To save you the time of looking at that, no, nothing is wrong.
That is really disappointing.

Upvote 0
I just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?
what speed were you travelling? weather conditions? use of a/c or heater during trip?
all these factors can impact range.

Upvote 0
Lol, you sound like me first time I got my Y. Go to my boat every weekend in summer and figured great, 125mi to the marina and 125mi back. With a range of 323 miles this should be a piece of cake. No way can I make it there and back unless maybe I try it at snail speed which I have not done yet. This is in summer under better/best conditions, winter you can easily cut out another 20 to 30% of that depending on how cold it is.

Bottom line is your car is normal, drive 55 or less if you want to extend range by a fair amount as compared to 75 and also drive in chill mode as the instant torque is way to addictive especially when new. Rain, cold and headwinds will also affect things quite a bit. EVs shine in slow city driving where their range is much better, put them on the highway at higher speeds and they do not fare as well, the complete opposite of ICE vehicles.

My Y has the 20" induction wheels which do not help range. Just read that a 2022 Model S with 19" wheels will lose 30 miles of total range according to EPA if fitted with 21" wheels so yes it all adds up in the end. I have dedicated winters on 19" wheels and will probably sell the inductions once the rubber wears out in favour of 19" wheels as I find the Y rides so much better with the 19" plus it will probably add 10 to 15 miles to my range to every fill up. Heck maybe even entertain going to 18" as my wife now drives the Y where road handling/performance are not in the equation at all.

Reactions: ClaytonW
Upvote 0

Rule of thumb for driving the car at highway speeds:

EPA phantasy land. 3 miles per percent of battery used.

Real world summer. 2 miles per percent of battery used.

Real world winter. 1.5 miles per percent of battery used.

You live in one of the lands of perpetual summer, so you can substitute "heavy rain" for the "real world winter" line :)

Keith

Upvote 0
When I first started considering a Model Y as a replacement for my 8-year-old Chevy Volt, I looked at the Tesla site and thought, "wow, that's some impressive range. Virtually the same as Volt's battery + 9-gallon gas tank." That'll be perfect for the 266-mile (one-way) trip I take 10+ times/year to visit/help my now 86-year-old mother. The EPA range on my Volt was 38 miles and it almost always exceeded that range during my normal work commute of 32 miles (r/t). My avg speed for that trip is about 40 mph using highways and surface streets. I intrinsically knew that 70+ mph depletes the battery faster, resulting in a "a bit less range" (32 vs 38 miles) in the Volt, but I only had a few all-electric miles to work with.

The percent difference, as it turns out, is about the same between the 2 cars. Applying that same percentage range drop to my 330-mile MY results in 277 miles, but that is from 100% down 0%, which isn't realistic. Most people, it seems, are only comfortable using about 80-85% of the battery resulting in a real interstate driving range of more like 222-236 miles. And that's under ideal temperature and weather conditions.

Tesla is staying just on the legal side of the advertising line, expecting you to do your due diligence on the real-world range. "Your Mileage May Vary" is even more important to BEV owners, at least until there's SuperCharging at every other Interstate Exit.

If I hadn't done a bunch of forum reading while waiting 3 months for my Y, I would have been disappointed, too.

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for my MYLR, but if I understand range calculation correctly, if the usable battery capacity of a 2022 Model Y is 78KWh and you are only getting 90 miles for 50% of the battery, that would mean you used 433 Wh/mile, which seems to be abnormally high. The EPA range estimate of 330 miles appears to be based upon 236.4 Wh/mile.

I'm still working my way through the multitude of threads on this forum, but I get the impression that most people are in the 260-300Kwh/mile range, which would provide 260-300 miles of total range for a 2022 MYLR with the 19" Gemini wheels and covers. Of course, charging to 80% and draining to 20% results in using only 60% of that capacity, but still, that's way better than what you experienced.

Is there a way you can pull the stats from your trip? If it shows 400+ Wh/mile, then your investigation should probably take you to what you can do to reduce Wh/mile. If your trip was around 250-300 Wh/mile and you still lost 50%, then there could be some software calculation explanation, or maybe a calibration issue. If there's somewhere in the on-screen software or Tesla app to validate usable capacity of your battery, you might want to check that too.

Attached is a quick chart I put together for myself to help set my range expectations.

Attachments

• Range Calculation.JPG
    Range Calculation.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 618
Reactions: buddhafree
Upvote 0
It's a catch 22, the car is an absolute rocket ship, but if you use it's potential speed you get NO range. We have a few highways that pace at 85+ and if you're going over 85mph you're lucky to get 100 miles of range on 80% charge, drop down to 70mph and your range shoots up but driving this thing at 70 is no fun! Luckily I don't drive over 150 miles most days, so I can still rip around and just know my efficiency is no good but I'm enjoying the car 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: coleman567
Upvote 0
ICE loses massive efficiency at 85mph+ too like halve your mpg. PPL act like that physics doesn't exist or something.
MPG goes down but certainly not in half, I have a LX570 absolute gas guzzler, but it's rated at 18MPG (never gets that no matter how slow I go) but even at 85-90 I still can get 12-13 MPG opposed to my normal 15 MPG. It's less than stated MPG no arguing that but unless you're pedal on the floor from start to finish I can't think of an ICE that gets half stated MPG driving at 85MPH

Upvote 0

That honestly sounds about right, especially for winter highway driving

With my MYP which is rated for 300 miles from the factory, I usually see about 220mi of real world range in the summer and 180mi in the winter due to charging to 85% max and not letting it go below 20%

Upvote 0
How bad is cold on the range you ask. It was -20c this morning and we drove to a place 135km away. Car was in the heated garage so it was not ice cold when we departed, more like 15C. Charged to 100%. Drove 95% flat highway, very light wind on autopilot at 115kph. Made it to destination with 46% left so yes it sucks electrons big time in very cold weather. Both seat heater were operational and inside temps were set to a comfortable 23c the entire ride, nice and toasty and by no means trying to save electron with coat and hat on to keep warm, exterior temp increased slightly to -16C by the time we got there. Obviously I needed to add some juice in order to make it home. This is for a round trip of 270km, car is rated for 525km so I got about half in these conditions and speed.

Reactions: EmbersDC and rexki
Upvote 0
Like I said, not trying to save electrons. Our house is usually around 21.5 to 22C during the day and 19 at night during winter. Regardless a few less C is not going to make a huge difference. Add maybe 10-15 km range at most if you crank it down.
Got ya. I am in the south and I don’t go above 21 in winter day time and 18 at night. Freaking heating making my skin too dry :) In the car I set it to 18-19 max.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45
Upvote 0