Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model y range issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?

You were def driving 80-90.
Try 70. or 65. you’ll go much, much farther.
There’s no magic here. gas cars have the same behavior, we just don’t notice because tanks give them more range.
this is one reason I just do not understand folks who opt for the larger, draggier wheels. At 90 mph the 20-inchers prob eat like 50 miles of range all by themselves.
One day this craze for the aesthetics of tiny-spoke race wheels that started with I dunno, 1970s race cars will end when mindsets change to... oh, that doesn’t really look as cool because it actually screams “these wheels don’t perform very well."
Even at EPA speeds they eat about 10 percent of your range.

EV’s and range worries are giving us all a hands-on hard lesson in the value of good aerodynamics, especially as speed increases. On my bike, below 16 mph there is very little drag or effort. Above that, it’s everything. I can do 20 mph with 100 watts of power, but 25mph takes 280 watts. Just think about a car going 45 vs a car doing 90. Aero is everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ICE loses massive efficiency at 85mph+ too like halve your mpg. PPL act like that physics doesn't exist or something.
I just ran the numbers and its very comparable to my Prius. 20% increase in consumption going from 65mph to 80mph (50mpg to 40mpg). Tesla was slightly more at 24% (278Wh/mi to 345Wh/mi), but that could easily be driving conditions.

I pulled those numbers from a trip took across the midwest where it was fairly flat. The Tesla numbers were based on a 30mi average.

Upvote 0
I just ran the numbers and its very comparable to my Prius. 20% increase in consumption going from 65mph to 80mph (50mpg to 40mpg). Tesla was slightly more at 24% (278Wh/mi to 345Wh/mi), but that could easily be driving conditions.

I pulled those numbers from a trip took across the midwest where it was fairly flat. The Tesla numbers were based on a 30mi average.
I’m guessing S does slightly better than M3 at high speed. M3 is a pretty stubby shape, and air flow is just going to detach a lot sooner. Y would surely be even worse as speed rises. Taller and still stubby. But for their length they’re pretty good shapes.

Upvote 0
Our house is usually around 21.5 to 22C during the day and 19 at night during winter. Regardless a few less C is not going to make a huge difference.
Chicago Metro - the house rides highest temp at 68F or 20C and at night goes down to 60F or 15.5C Central runtimes get 20% higher for every 2 degrees F.
At 70K BTU that is 2 extra hours every 24 hour cycle.
Tesla I believe runs at level one at 2,000 watts - guessing a 2 hour trip would cost you 4KW or Winter 70mph 280 WH/mile = 14 miles of range for every 2-3F or 1 - 1.5C
Lets say you drop 3C on avg temp on 2 hour trip then you might gain another 28 miles of Winter range.
20 mile/hour head winds will also cost you at least 10% mileage reduction
ICE/Snow on the road kills another 21% of the range

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
I just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?
Driving at higher speeds drains the battery. Also, don't look at the mileage on a Tesla the same as a gas car. They are not comparable and new owners get stuck in the comparison mindset and it's incorrect. The Tesla uses the battery to operate the entire car. Gas vehicles operate differently.

In regards to miles, it depends on how you drive and speed. I regularly drive 150 miles a day and notice if I'm 65mph and below I get significantly more miles versus driving 70-80mph. I also notice driving around my area normally doesn't drain the battery much at all. The only time I see mileage eaten up is when I'm on highway for long periods of time. I've become accustom to it.

Reactions: rexki
Upvote 0
It's a catch 22, the car is an absolute rocket ship, but if you use it's potential speed you get NO range. We have a few highways that pace at 85+ and if you're going over 85mph you're lucky to get 100 miles of range on 80% charge, drop down to 70mph and your range shoots up but driving this thing at 70 is no fun! Luckily I don't drive over 150 miles most days, so I can still rip around and just know my efficiency is no good but I'm enjoying the car 🤷‍♂️
This is 100% correct. I have a commute some days of 75 miles one way. 60 miles of it is on highway with 40 miles of it being 70mph speed limit. When I drive 80mph or 85mph my battery drains fast. But, if I keep it around 65-70mph the mileage increase is very noticeable. If I drive fast it's common for that 75 mile trip to take off 100 miles on the Tesla (I am going 85-90mph though).

Reactions: rexki
Upvote 0
ICE loses massive efficiency at 85mph+ too like halve your mpg. PPL act like that physics doesn't exist or something.
Absolutely false. My F150 certainly will lose about 50% of its 60 MPH mpg if I drive it at 90 MPH, but that's a barn door shaped massive vehicle with off road tires and an open bed. Last year I drove the Audi A6 Allroad from MT to SF and back and averaged over 32 mpg while also averaging close to 70 MPH for the 1000+ mile trip each way. To get a nearly 70 MPH average over a thousand miles in a single day, we were going WAY over 85 MPH for a lot of the trip (i.e., once we got out of CA). EPA rates the car at 26 mpg on the freeway.

A year before that, when I had a BMW 530e, I drove even faster and didn't have any significant loss of mpg at the higher speeds.

The Teslas I've owned that went on the same trip were a different story altogether. The P85 experienced significant range reduction at higher speeds, to the point I had to keep it at about 70 MPH to get through the long stretches in NV, ID and MT without fast charging. The P85D that replaced it was a bit better, but we still saw serious issues with long range, high speed travel, to the point that I had to go back to ICE/Hybrid to make the trip realistic for me.

No idea what the physics are in an EV vs ICE at these speeds, it may be that the German ICE vehicles have gearing that allows the engine to loaf along at high speeds while the Teslas had a single speed transmission, but whatever it was, the effects were real.

Upvote 0
Absolutely false. My F150 certainly will lose about 50% of its 60 MPH mpg if I drive it at 90 MPH, but that's a barn door shaped massive vehicle with off road tires and an open bed. Last year I drove the Audi A6 Allroad from MT to SF and back and averaged over 32 mpg while also averaging close to 70 MPH for the 1000+ mile trip each way. To get a nearly 70 MPH average over a thousand miles in a single day, we were going WAY over 85 MPH for a lot of the trip (i.e., once we got out of CA). EPA rates the car at 26 mpg on the freeway.

A year before that, when I had a BMW 530e, I drove even faster and didn't have any significant loss of mpg at the higher speeds.

The Teslas I've owned that went on the same trip were a different story altogether. The P85 experienced significant range reduction at higher speeds, to the point I had to keep it at about 70 MPH to get through the long stretches in NV, ID and MT without fast charging. The P85D that replaced it was a bit better, but we still saw serious issues with long range, high speed travel, to the point that I had to go back to ICE/Hybrid to make the trip realistic for me.

No idea what the physics are in an EV vs ICE at these speeds, it may be that the German ICE vehicles have gearing that allows the engine to loaf along at high speeds while the Teslas had a single speed transmission, but whatever it was, the effects were real.
There is no magic here. A vehicle with the same aerodynamics, drivetrain friction losses and tire rolling resistance will use the same amount of energy to punch through the air at the same speed. It doesn’t matter if the engine is electric or ICE. There is nothing more efficient about ICE at high speed. Physics say this isn’t possible.

Upvote 0
There is no magic here. A vehicle with the same aerodynamics, drivetrain friction losses and tire rolling resistance will use the same amount of energy to punch through the air at the same speed. It doesn’t matter if the engine is electric or ICE. There is nothing more efficient about ICE at high speed. Physics say this isn’t possible.
Definitely something different as an ICE vehicle simply does not halve the distance in extreme cold. Batteries are less efficient, need to be warmed up via itself draining juice not to mention seat heaters and heat which are all "free" so to say in an ice. Although there is a difference in cold with ICE vehicles, it is not even close to what an EV loses in comparison.

Upvote 0
Guess you didn't do any sort of search here before posting. There are a million threads on this. There are also suggestions in the Owners Manual on maximizing winter range.

Upvote 0
If aerodynamics, drivetrain friction losses and tire rolling resistance were the only factors in energy usage, you may be correct. However, the multi-speed transmission of an ICE car allows it to maintain higher speeds closer to its optimal RPM for improved efficiency. As long as you are maintaining a consistent speed, the incremental energy usage of going faster in an ICE vehicle should be much lower than an EV with a single-speed transmission. There must be something other than magic that allows my 2013 Accord to get 35-38MPG on the highway whether I'm driving 70 or 90 (for safely keeping up with traffic, of course). If there's a difference, it's not perceptible enough to dictate that I drive at slower speeds.

Upvote 0
If aerodynamics, drivetrain friction losses and tire rolling resistance were the only factors in energy usage, you may be correct. However, the multi-speed transmission of an ICE car allows it to maintain higher speeds closer to its optimal RPM for improved efficiency. As long as you are maintaining a consistent speed, the incremental energy usage of going faster in an ICE vehicle should be much lower than an EV with a single-speed transmission. There must be something other than magic that allows my 2013 Accord to get 35-38MPG on the highway whether I'm driving 70 or 90 (for safely keeping up with traffic, of course). If there's a difference, it's not perceptible enough to dictate that I drive at slower speeds.
transmission losses / optimal rpm are real, but not nearly on the scale we’re discussing at say 80.
at 90, there is no possible way your accord is getting faintly close to that. It’s masked by the fact that’s in bursts.

Upvote 0
Definitely something different as an ICE vehicle simply does not halve the distance in extreme cold. Batteries are less efficient, need to be warmed up via itself draining juice not to mention seat heaters and heat which are all "free" so to say in an ice. Although there is a difference in cold with ICE vehicles, it is not even close to what an EV loses in comparison.
An ICE most certainly would halve the range when comparing driving it at the EPA EV tests speeds vs say 80-85 mph.

Upvote 0
Don't miss an important piece of info, it would appear that 90 MPH was in reference to keeping up with traffic, so it is possible that the benefits from following traffic may offset the increased fuel consumption of higher RPM to maintain that speed, i.e. drafting. If you watch auto racing, you probably have seen the benefits of drafting, how they can save fuel, get a boost from the decreased drag and pass them much easier, etc.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Don't miss an important piece of info, it would appear that 90 MPH was in reference to keeping up with traffic, so it is possible that the benefits from following traffic may offset the increased fuel consumption of higher RPM to maintain that speed, i.e. drafting. If you watch auto racing, you probably have seen the benefits of drafting, how they can save fuel, get a boost from the decreased drag and pass them much easier, etc.
drafting works the same no matter what your power source.

Upvote 0
I draft in road biking. There is no way I'm drafting behind strangers going 90mph in vehicles :D

Upvote 0
I keep a 2 second distance between myself and the car in front of me, so I doubt there is any drafting effect. I-71 between Columbus and Cincinnati can be a mini-Autobahn at times.

As for my car, it’s a 4-cylinder CVT that I’ve always run in Eco-Mode. The car rolls really well, I keep the tires at 35psi (recommended is 33psi) and RPM are low even at high speeds.

I was surprised at the high MPG I got at 90 for an extended period (overall and with the real-time display). I was expecting to see 30-32 MPG, but the MPG for the trip kept going up as I went along. Who knows, I might have gotten 38-40 MPG at 70MPH. In any case, any high-speed MPG loss is nowhere near 15%, much less 50%.

For reference, the best mileage I ever got was just under 42MPG at 40mph on a hot summer day. Typical results for a tank of gas with mixed city/highway driving is 32MPG in the summer and 29MPG in the winter.

Upvote 0