Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model y range issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y on December 26. My first trip out of town, Sarasota to Disney. 90 miles all interstate. Driving 90 miles and it drained 50% of my battery. Is something wrong? Should I take in to be looked at?

If you’re taking it in solely for this “issue” you are 100% wasting your time.

The only data point that matters here hasn’t been provided. What was your wh/mi consumption on this trip?
I’ll look it up but considering I was driving grandma style and we used bare-minimum functionalities like AC to go on a in-state trip, it really doesn’t matter if this is normal function or not. If that’s normal then it can’t be used for anything more than around town, and I wasn’t looking to buy a second car just for the city.

Either something is wrong that can be corrected, or I’ll just have to sell it because it’s just not good enough. Too bad because it’s beautiful and fun around town. Good thing the aftermarket is hot.

Upvote 0
No trailer, nothing on top, pretty light packing. Normal driving conditions - the only thing could be that it’s 100F here in Texas and we didn’t want to die so our AC was at 74 - not unreasonable. What’s the point of a Nav that recommends charging stops if it can’t remotely project a realistic outcome?

Again - maybe it can be rationalized that this is “how it’s supposed to work” - but then the Nav is trash, the projections are unreliable, and the car isn’t remotely worth its price tag.

Hopefully when they inspect it at the service center next week they don’t dick me around.

The nav does not account for driving 75 MPH. Its supposed to start accounting for weather and elevation, but it currently doesnt. If you are taking your car to service because of what you experienced, you are wasting both your time, and theirs. You could run your trip through a website like abetterrouteplanner.com which does account for elevation, wind etc.

Its a bit unusual to me that you are saying you couldnt make 155 miles though, so there are likely some extenuating circumstances there.

Reactions: WhiteWi and alexgr
Upvote 0
I’ll look it up but considering I was driving grandma style and we used bare-minimum functionalities like AC to go on a in-state trip, it really doesn’t matter if this is normal function or not. If that’s normal then it can’t be used for anything more than around town, and I wasn’t looking to buy a second car just for the city.

Either something is wrong that can be corrected, or I’ll just have to sell it because it’s just not good enough. Too bad because it’s beautiful and fun around town. Good thing the aftermarket is hot.
So you were using the MY Nav correct? Did it tell you to slow down to a certain speed to make it to your next charger? That would be normal - did you ignore the warnings?

Upvote 0

"Driving grandma style" would not normally be driving 75 miles per hour. But, I can virtually assure you that there is nothing (nothing, zip, nada, zilch) that the service center is going to be able to "correct" about a range issue on your car, so if thats your expectation, or "I need to sell it", then you should start working on the sale of the vehicle.

Also, I am not sure why you felt that you needed to post the same exact feedback in different range threads that have multiple pages, when you were able to join TMC and find an active thread on the topic, there wasnt any need to post the same content in multiple threads. They are all going to have the same basic feedback.

Upvote 0
No trailer, nothing on top, pretty light packing. Normal driving conditions - the only thing could be that it’s 100F here in Texas and we didn’t want to die so our AC was at 74 - not unreasonable. What’s the point of a Nav that recommends charging stops if it can’t remotely project a realistic outcome?

Again - maybe it can be rationalized that this is “how it’s supposed to work” - but then the Nav is trash, the projections are unreliable, and the car isn’t remotely worth its price tag.

Hopefully when they inspect it at the service center next week they don’t dick me around.
There is a new firmware coming that takes into consideration more inputs about the weather to more accurately predict range. That may be of some help in your particular case.

Upvote 0
Just got a Model Y performance a week ago and tried for a quick state park camping trip. Two super chargers on the way. The gap between the first supercharger and second was 155 miles. Charged to 80% at the first and it said I was good to go and would arrive at the next with 30% battery. Had to turn around because 50 miles in it said we wouldn’t make it. Driving 75 on clear easy rural highway.

If that is “how it’s supposed to work” then unfortunately the car won’t work for me and I’ll have to sell it.
You should remember, that the range the car projects is based on normal driving conditions, that is somewhere about 70F and 65mph. Cold affects the range the most. Hot weather is not that bad. I would add some 10% range at 90-100F weather. 75mph will be the main contributor to the lower range. If you want an electric car to be on target for the range, you need to drive it slower. The same applies to ICE cars, but it will be more noticeable for EVs because of EV's higher efficiency. In the city driving in good weather (80-90F) with some 50-70mph highway driving I easily exceed the the projected range. if I go long range, then 200-230 miles is a realistic limit. 150-160 is never a problem unless snow or heavy rains, but I would always try to charge closer to 90%.

Another thought, Let's say you charged to 240 for a 155 mile trip, and then you drive the first 50 miles like a maniac, the car displays 150 range and 100 miles left to go. The car tells you that you are not gonna make it based on your average consumption over the first 50 miles. If you try to drive the car normally, like 65 mph with less acceleration, does the projected range recover?

Reactions: advocate8
Upvote 0
The nav does not account for driving 75 MPH. Its supposed to start accounting for weather and elevation, but it currently doesnt. If you are taking your car to service because of what you experienced, you are wasting both your time, and theirs. You could run your trip through a website like abetterrouteplanner.com which does account for elevation, wind etc.

Its a bit unusual to me that you are saying you couldnt make 155 miles though, so there are likely some extenuating circumstances there.
The Nav doesn’t account for the posted speed limit, which it knows and uses to calculate time to destination? That seems unlikely.

Other than the outside temp of 100F there are bo extenuating circumstances to speak of related to driving conditions or style. Perhaps there is something that is draining excess battery, which could be something that perhaps service could identify for me. I could also see the possibility that the sensor is somehow incorrect and the battery was not in fact losing charge as quickly as the software is indicating. Another possibility might just be that something is wrong with the battery.

Regardless it brings me back to the original point - it’s either something that can be fixed or it’s normal. If it’s normal that 80% can’t take me 155mi in those conditions, then it can’t physically make the trip because those are the only two super chargers on the route. If I can’t make that trip then there are several others that I had planned to use this car for that it can’t make. If that’s the case, then the car is just not good enough. Was hoping for a bad ass car around town for 95% of my life but that could also make road trips with supercharger stops. But it couldn’t hang.

So it’s either getting fixed or going on the market. Maybe you’ll want it? Got it XPEL PPF wrapped on black factory paint for a matte black look and the Tesla Ts painted red. It looks beautiful.

Upvote 0
I'll be interested to see how this plays out, sounding oddly familiar...... :rolleyes:

It likely sounds familiar as it is the same basic discussion that happens in every single one of these range threads, and there are likely 50-60 of them in the model Y subforum, as well as the 200+ page thread I move all this discussing in model 3 subforum to.

If you have been here for any length of time, you will have seen a thread on this topic. The feedback is all over, sometimes people are actually confused, sometimes they just want to vent, and a lot of other times people join to troll on this topic. They all sound similar though.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Perhaps there is something that is draining excess battery, which could be something that perhaps service could identify for me.

There is nothing that is draining excess battery that service would find (or even look for) in the instance you are talking about. You are wasting your time taking it to service for a range issue. They will likely cancel the appointment if thats the only thing its for (and tell you "we investigated your car remotely and there is nothing wrong with your battery" or if there are other items on your appointment, they will do those things and make the statement above to you when you pick it up.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Supercharger in Cisco, TX to the Supercharger in Junction, TX.

Maybe service will cancel. If so then I guess the car is worthless for road trips. It sucks. Hate to get rid of it.
I can see only 130 miles between them, not 155. Edit: my bad, it is 155, looked at a wrong supercharger. Really odd you couldn't make it with 80% charge. The reason people around are suspicious is that most of us has routinely driven over 155 miles without even thinking about saving change. I did like 230 miles starting at 285 (in model 3 though), I was going realatively slow, but ended up with some 12% battery. I did 120 miles in 10F in the night with blowing winds starting at about 240 going 75-80 mph, and made it without any issue though it was like 20 miles left at the end. So yes, maybe your Model Y has an issue, but the entire trip and messages have to be analyzed carefully.

Upvote 0

Maybe service will cancel. If so then I guess the car is worthless for road trips. It sucks. Hate to get rid of it.
Abrp estimates that I'd use about 74% of the battery to make that segment with my LR and 19" wheels.

I'm surprised the car only had you charge to 80%. I'd have expected this to be a case where you'd want about 95% to feel comfortable.

Upvote 0
Straight into a significant headwind…

FFDD816F-7B87-4E7F-B059-2F47B9274D5F.jpeg

Upvote 0

Thousands take effortless road trips all over the country which you would know if you searched the forum a bit - easy stuff. Not sure why you jump to (threatening?) to sell your car repeatedly on your first posts after joining. Seems like a lot of effort and expense to come to that conclusion so quickly.

Upvote 0
Response? Find it hard to believe the Nav didn’t instruct you to reduce speed to XX to make it to the next charger in time for you to adjust.
Yes after we were about 40-45mi in it wanted me to start going 10-15mph below speed limit to make it there with 3% (down from original 30%).

Again, maybe that’s what you consider normal, but 15 below speed limit on one-lane two-way rural highway is not exactly safe either. People will tailgate you, swerve in front of oncoming traffic to get around and then cut you off. Also, it’s lame.

Perhaps it’s “normal”, I suppose that is a viable outcome. But then the car just isn’t good enough. Which sucks but maybe that’s the reality.

Reactions: jsight
Upvote 0
Thousands take effortless road trips all over the country which you would know if you searched the forum a bit - easy stuff. Not sure why you jump to (threatening?) to sell your car repeatedly on your first posts after joining. Seems like a lot of effort and expense to come to that conclusion so quickly.
Only because at every opportunity I have been told that there’s so many factors and this is normal. I’m hoping that it’s not normal and can be fixed. If not, why would I keep it? It can’t meet minimum expectations.

I have friends with teslas and a friend in Denver with the exact same MY Performance. He hasn’t had this level of range issue. So I’m hopeful it can be resolved but diagnostics show the battery is “fine”. Part of this is mentally preparing myself to be disappointed with the (lack of) performance and that I may have to part with a car that barring this one trip has been so much fun and is great.

Upvote 0