Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A driver pulled up next to me to let me know my LH taillight brakeklight does not come on.

So it's not just a different turn signal but the brake light does not engage for the incorrect taillight part which is more of a safety concern.
It probably did — the center segment only — so it doesn’t look like a brake light when compared to the new one where the entire outside lights up.

It probably did — the center segment only — so it doesn’t look like a brake light when compared to the new one where the entire outside lights up.
PXL_20201210_161453496.jpg

Tesla rescheduled my tail light replacement that was suppose to be tomorrow for December 24th day before Christmas due to parts not making it in time tomorrow. Kinda pissed off now as I was gonna go on a trip with my Y this later this week and now I have a safety and law enforcement scrutiny issue when I travel interstate.

This would have been avoided if tesla would have listened to me when I brought up the incorrect taillight part order originally. Part of the Tesla service expensive I guess

I recently had this experience with old vs new tail lights.

Bought my Model Y in Feb 2021. Had condensation in both tail lights and mobile service came out to replace. I thought everything was good until yesterday someone pointed out that my brake lights were not working. Today I dropped off the car at Tesla Service Center for them to fix it immediately as this is a safety issue. Turns out the first mobile service installed the wrong (old) tail lights that weren't compatible with the current connectors.

I can't believe I was driving without working brake lights for over a month now.

Last edited:
I recently had this experience with old vs new tail lights.

Bought my Model Y in Feb 2021. Had condensation in both tail lights and mobile service came out to replace. I thought everything was good until yesterday someone pointed out that my brake lights were not working. Today I dropped off the car at Tesla Service Center for them to fix it immediately as this is a safety issue. Turns out the first mobile service installed the wrong (old) tail lights that weren't compatible with the current connectors.

I can't believe I was driving without working brake lights for over a month now.
Trust but verify.

Trust but verify.
Absolutely agree with you there. But it was mobile service where they came to my house to do the job while I was out. I have to take ownership in verifying my own car but the technician needed to verify his work too (somehow).

Also I noticed that my blinkers and backup lights have been working from reflections so it was a strong assumption everything was fine. This little nuance is not something very obvious without someone pointing it out.

Reactions: richoki
Absolutely agree with you there. But it was mobile service where they came to my house to do the job while I was out. I have to take ownership in verifying my own car but the technician needed to verify his work too (somehow).

Also I noticed that my blinkers and backup lights have been working from reflections so it was a strong assumption everything was fine. This little nuance is not something very obvious without someone pointing it out.
Did your car avatar on the screen still light up the brake lights? I’ve heard that’s the easiest way to tell if a bulb is out or malfunction because it is supposed to exactly mimic the actual car.

Did your car avatar on the screen still light up the brake lights? I’ve heard that’s the easiest way to tell if a bulb is out or malfunction because it is supposed to exactly mimic the actual car.
It mimics your action. I don't know where you heard that from, but the avatar is not synced up to each bulb. Also you'll see that the avatar has the old style tail lights and doesn't display outer tail light braking as it does on the physical tail lights.

Last edited:
Well, even as late as 21.4.18.3, the new light connected to a "transition" car with 4 wires but which shipped with the old lights still illuminates the turn signal when the brake is pressed. The schematic I saw in the service manual shows a taillight controller and perhaps there is a jumper that can be changed so that the turn signal segment doesn't light with the brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: ahmadr