Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a July build (28xxx) and have the 4 wire connectors. I installed the updated taillights, and they’re only half working.

- Amber turn signal works
- When brake: both C and amber light up

Swapping the old taillights on today. What do you guys think the issue is?

Attachments

• 9E457A7B-8990-4B20-9018-C3287615C98F.jpeg
    9E457A7B-8990-4B20-9018-C3287615C98F.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 130
I have a July build (28xxx) and have the 4 wire connectors. I installed the updated taillights, and they’re only half working.

- Amber turn signal works
- When brake: both C and amber light up

Swapping the old taillights on today. What do you guys think the issue is?
From the picture, it looks like the harness can be plugged in two different ways? Did you try flipping it?

Reactions: richoki
If they will do it for you. They might be able to do it remotely, I just don't know if they are willing. (They tend not to, like they wouldn't enable the new digital tuner that people installed in the MCU2 upgraded vehicles.)

I just got off the phone with Burlingame, CA Service Center. I explained the situation and he recommended I "submit through the app-- a tech advisor will reach out and can likely do it over air."

I hope hope this is the case. I'll keep you guys updated

Reactions: MP3Mike
You would need to have the car's configuration updated to know it has the new lights installed.
Apparently true — see directly below.

I just got off the phone with Burlingame, CA Service Center. I explained the situation and he recommended I "submit through the app-- a tech advisor will reach out and can likely do it over air."

Mobile service booked through Burlingame installed my lights. UPDATED: You're right! Yellow on braking but they do blink as turn signals. Will reach out too.

Thx. Trying to understand how this will be applied, no definitive line in the sand yet.
VIN 32xxx, Late July build. I have Low and Standard, this article says that Low is gone only for cars that never had it -- starting with June builds: Tesla mysteriously removes regenerative braking strength option in new cars - Electrek

I tried flipping it, but upon further inspection, it can only go in one way. As a previous post stated, the connector needs to flip 180
View attachment 605927

They only go in one way, but the bottom and top are switched (rotate connector 180 degrees) between the old lights and the new lights. It should be plug-and-play like it was on mine -- except for the amber lights coming on when braking. See above.

Last edited:

Mobile tech made a visit yesterday and said that there is no taillight configuration that he could see but reloaded my firmware. No change -- the amber lights still illuminate with the outer C but they also blink like turn signals. Doesn't bother me at all.

• Helpful
Mobile tech made a visit yesterday and said that there is no taillight configuration that he could see but reloaded my firmware. No change -- the amber lights still illuminate with the outer C but they also blink like turn signals. Doesn't bother me at all.

Same. I just chatted with a Diagnostic Technician from Burlingame. Confirmed: If you have the 4 connectors AND your MY was built before mid August, currently there is no configuration change available that will allow the new taillights to function properly. According to the tech, this issue is fairly fresh so it's going to take some time to find a resolve-- if any. Based on the conversation I feel optimistic about it, so we'll see.

Same. I just chatted with a Diagnostic Technician from Burlingame. Confirmed: If you have the 4 connectors AND your MY was built before mid August, currently there is no configuration change available that will allow the new taillights to function properly. According to the tech, this issue is fairly fresh so it's going to take some time to find a resolve-- if any. Based on the conversation I feel optimistic about it, so we'll see.

That gives me some up that this can work without a harness change and/or hack. Technically I can't see why it shouldn't be able to work as essentially you are running the old cars in euro tail light mode unless there's something I'm missing.

Did we ever figure out the purpose of the additional wire in the newer models?

That gives me some up that this can work without a harness change and/or hack. Technically I can't see why it shouldn't be able to work as essentially you are running the old cars in euro tail light mode unless there's something I'm missing.

Did we ever figure out the purpose of the additional wire in the newer models?

The additional wire is to separate the brake and turn signal lights.

I don't think that a car without the extra wire would ever light the amber portion of the lights.

The additional wire is to separate the brake and turn signal lights.

I don't think that a car without the extra wire would ever light the amber portion of the lights.
Right. Not unless some electronics genius comes up with a module that can detect feeds from braking vs. turn signal (then split it into two outgoing wires for the new lights) which are currently fed through the same wire that lights up the LED bar. Seems doable but way above my pay grade. :p